Astray? Vape from herb, alcohol and VG

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by llarosa16, Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hello! Total noob looking for direction. I was interested in taking some herb and turning it into eliquid without conventional extraction methods. I ran across a recipe that seemed simple: Grind, decarb with heat, place in mason jar, fill 1/4 inch above herb line with 200 proof alcohol and store in cool dry place for 10-14 days making sure to shake it vigorously. Then separate with cheesecloth and add VG. But I forgot to decarb it first but I’m glad because I’ve read a ton of stuff that makes me think it’s not that simple. The step I am at is I’ve got a strained bunch of green alcohol in a mason jar. And a fresh bottle of restaurant grade VG.

My goal was to make vape old school without using the “harmful” chemicals PEG or PG. now I’ve read so much I’m very confused about what my next step should be.

I really like the idea of waiting 4 months for it to debate naturally but I also read about solarizing to remove chlorophyll and the cooking it in Pyrex at 173ish. Again all fascinating and inconsistent and I’m not sure what nexts steps should be. Also is the left over material good for anything?

I thank you in advance for any direction on this endeavor!

Lisa

2. You can get drunk off of vaping alcohol so, if you do not want that, you need to purge it.

And I do not know, but, it seems dangerous to vape such a high proof alcohol, it may be fine, but that seems pretty dangerous considering how combustible something at that proof is. Again, it may be fine, but I'm only cool with spitting fire, when I'm the one deciding when to spit it lol

I can not tell if you are saying you have the extract and vg, or that you mixed the vg with your extract.

If you have your extract, separate of your vg, you should winterize it. If they are mixed, I have no idea if you'd be taking the same steps, or what steps to take. It'd probably work out alright, but I have no experience with that.

I mean, you don't need to, but, if you are wanting to make e-liquids or any real potency (ratio of hash:cutting agent) you want to winterize.

This is, or at least can be, pretty simple. There are a lot of DIY threads. This is simply removing the unwanted plant waxes and fats. You will likely have to do a few runs.

As for removing chlorophyll, I do not have experience in that but, again, there are a lot of threads, and even some products that are and can be used. And someone may come along that knows about this.

But, this is what I do, and it may help you out.

Also, remember, this is very flammable. High proof spirits do not burst into flame for no reason, but, if you are using an exposed heat source and this mixture spills over, you'll be cooking a nice cannabis flambe, and possibly your cabinets lol.

Since I do not want to have any alcohol remaining, I reduce the tincture using a double boiler method. I am not going to be able to give you any science or exact numbers to reach, only what I do. I have a glass baking dish that is round. I line that with parchment paper, trim down the excess that extends beyond the top of the dish, and put it into a larger pan that is filled with water.

I use an induction cooker, but it's not going to be accurate, I just keep it below it's 210 setting after the water begins to boil. I reduce the tincture to a point where enough is evaporated that it no longer runs when I hold the parchment paper upright, but, also still retains it's color.

What remains has a slight taste of alcohol, which is actually pretty smooth when dab'd. If left in a closed (just to prevent dust and hair getting in it), but not air tight container, after a few days the remaining alcohol will evaporate out, at least to a point where it is not discernible.

Throughout the process, I move the parchment paper around lightly every now and then. Just to move it. Feels like the right thing to do.

I also work with small amounts at a time. I like using an even layer that's only 1/16" or so.

I have just poured an ass and walked away until it was done before. It was fully purged and it was still good, just dark.

Once this is reduced, you can de-carb the hash if you'd like.

I have no experience using VG. I have only used Wax Liquidizer (PG/PEG based) and True Terepenes (terepene based).

But, at this point, after I have reduced my tincture, I simply put the hash in my mixing jar (a tapered 2oz shot glass) and heat it, again using a double boiler method. After it melts down I add my cutting agent, mixing it with a glass stirring rod until it appears fully dissolved. I either cart then, using an 18g syringe, or put in my storage container (glass mini bottle).

Your ratio's are going to depend on your hash and on what you are using to cut it. This is something you'll have to figure out. You can just make 1g batches at a time to experiment with ratios. This is what I did... the second time around at least lol

Good luck with whatever you do, and let us know how it turns out. If you have questions, I can not promise I can answer them, and I am not on often, but feel free to ask and I will get back to you.