Asthma???

Discussion in 'General' started by GimmieMore, Jan 28, 2009.

1. So I was born with asthma. I used to have a rescue inhalor, but I never had a major attack or anything. I started playing trumpet when I was 9, and by the time i was 15-16 I stopped using inhalors completely. My lungs were strong, and I never had a problem.

I haven't been playing much, or been nearly as active as I used to in general.....

Now when I smoke I have a horrible cough..... all the time.... sometimes I can't even hold the smoke. Its like the smoke hits my lungs and they go, "Whoa! What the fuck are you doing?? Oh my god!! Stop it!!"

I've been told this may be due to my asthma resurfacing.......

Any ideas?

2. i'd say try a vaporizer, it'll probably be easier on your lungs. don't know for sure though.

3. ive had asthma my entire life. Its does affect my smoking every once and a while, so i keep an inhaler just incase my asthma starts to act up.

If it keeps happening youre probably just have to find an alternative.

BUT if your not on any meds, i'd recommened advair. works great. Helps prevent any asthma attacks.

4. I had severe asthma as a child which was so bad I had to be hospitalized. I'm fine now though and I don't even remember the last time I used an inhaler. Sometimes it's like you said, but only when using bowls or blunts. With any water pieces I can take as big a hit as I want.

What are you smoking out of? Maybe the smoke is just too harsh. I know when I take a huge hit off of a blunt, it burns my throat/chest and I exhale almost as quickly as I inhale.

5. I have this problem a lot also. It happens with cigarettes too. In my opinion, I think my brain knows that smoke of any kind is bad for my lungs, and it forces my physical body to reject the smoke. Blunts are easier for me to handle than hand pipes, but bongs/bubblers pretty much cut the coughing/hacking down to 0.

BTW i had asthma when I was a little kid, but I'm pretty sure I'm good now.

6. I don't have the problem so much with cigs... which is really weird. It doesn't matter what I smoke weed from, I will still cough.. sometimes less than others....

If I try hard then sometimes I can relax my throat and diaphram and not cough, or at least not so much.

Water/ice cooled things def help. But it seems that the cold winter air makes it worse.....

Also, when I smoke weed, I cough up large amounts of mucous.... Its really gross, but I can breathe better afterwards....

I dunno. I'm confused.

7. you might not want to but try this... smoke a menthol 5 mins before you toke up. a pal of mine's doctor told him to smoke 1 menthol cigarette a day to combat his asthma. try it and see what happens

8. Putting any kind of smoke in your lungs is a huge trigger for most asthmatics including myself...and cold air in the winter season is another common trigger as well.
    As far as the cold weather, when you go outside, put a scarf over your mouth, it will get the air you breathe in a little warmer and tolerable when you breathe in.
    As far as smoking, if your asthmatic, its best to invest into a vaporizer. However, vaporizing will not solve the mucus problem, because the vapors still irritate your airways cilia walls, just not as much as smoke. When your smoking from a pipe or a joint, the hot inhaled smoke causes inflammation, causing you to cough and get that mucus because your putting unwanted particles through your airways.
    My only other advice is if it bothers you that much, take smaller tokes, and smoke less often, and get higher grade weed so you dont have to smoke as much but still get high as a kite.

9. #9 GimmieMore, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    ^^^^

I kinda like the coughing up mucous.... It helps me breathe.... I'm not congested anymore after that... lol

His doctor told him to smoke cigs for his asthma??

Pics or it didn't happen!

And I already smoke menthols.... so I doubt that will help.

10. lol yeah trust me i was blown away at first but he's a trustworthy guy... it happened.

11. Wouldnt you rather NOT have mucus to cough up tho? The mucus causes wheezing and loss of breath that can lead to an attack.
    As an asthmatic you should practice healthy living. Have an action plan, and know what your triggers are to reduce your asthma and use of puffers.

12. i've had asthma my entire life as well. weed triggers sometimes, but not always. I'm still on 3 inhalers. I quit smoking cigs 3 years ago this june, and i smoked for 9 years (duh).

i find a vape is the best, and i don't actually get a build up of mucus when i vape. as a daily asthmatic, sometimes i use my inhaler in order to bring up some mucus...it's usually smoother sailing after that

13. do you have asthma?

the mucuc IS the wheezing in my case. bringing it up is easier to breathe. I've had asthma for 26 years, and i've never had an "attack" per se. i get tight in the chest, and i wheeze like a mofo, but i've never locked up and most people don't . i have no action plan, and fyi, everyone should practice healthy living, no?

14. Yeahj, I get that.

I really thought I had grown out of asthma.... I never even considered it until other people brought it up.

15. Ive had asthma forever as welll. I thought i grew out of it turns out i was wrong. I suggest a vape. Im getting one this weekend to help out. Otherwise you just gotta live with it man.

16. yea, i do... and i know mucus causes wheezing, thats what i wrote, didn't i :confused:
    Just because you never had an "attack" doesnt mean you have your asthma under control is what im tryin to get across. If it was under control, you wouldnt be wheezing or having mucus or a tight chest...or be using 3 inhalers.
    and yes, everyone should practice healthy living :eek: