Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Asthma and medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Ceia, Jan 31, 2011.

1. just been curious if anyone else who uses medical marijuana or any other forms of it has asthma as well? i have a pretty serious case of asthma that requires me to use my inhaler daily, and have had asthma as far back as i can remember i used to grow up near a factory type area and one time the government had come to test the soil and a whole bunch of other things which may have been the cause for this? havnt exactly found out yet but back to the point,

so i have to use this inhaler, maybe 10 times a day? and another in the morning and night but ofton i wake up and need my inhaler as im gasping for air, a few days ago my inhaler had run out and i had figured ok ill just sleep then call the doctor in the morning it took me a very long time to sleep and when i woke up my condition was worse, i was very raspy and had short amounts of breathe and could just feel my lungs slowly closeing on me, so i frantically tried my inhaler, trying for any small amount i could get out and it didnt help.

i called my doctor and told them i needed a refill (was about 5 days ago i called) they had told me i wasnt able to get another one untill february 17th the 17th! i could be dead by then i told them and yet they said there was nothing they could do.

i was getting panicked now my body was slowly strangeling itself and i was miserable, out of options i opened my stash box and got out some weed and loaded my freshly cleaned bong and lit up, after about 2 hits (was careful not too take too much in which may make my lungs close up more) and within about 5 minutes my lungs were starting to open, i could feel myself being able to breathe slightly better, so i breathed in fresh amounts of air and then finished the remaining hits, (i understand a vaporizer is better and all that yet i do not own one) and finnally...i could breathe, later i got a spare inhaler off a relative who dosent need them anymore to tide me over till i get my new one

so im just curious if theres anything i could tell my doctors about this? i dont think theyd really like hearing about what i did, but my asthma is so severe i dont understand whats wrong...and the thc had helped, compared to ciggeretes ( i dont smoke them but when im around them it gets hard to breathe) or if anyone else has the same kind of things happening to them / could help me out :s

thanks alot (sorry if it was kind of a long read but id really like some advice)

2. #2 Blunt Ash, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    I stopped inhalers entirely after smoking herb. I would feel like shit unless I had my inhaler, now I have far less restriction on my lungs because cannabis is an expectorant (opens lungs) Keep in mind I exercise on the regular as well. Also...this is only my personal experience, I'm no doctor. It might not work for you. But asthma medicine is far to experimental with far to many side effects. I'll stick with cannabis.

3. A friend of mine has had Asthma his entire life (to the point where he use to pass out from not being able to breath) and he smoked weed on a daily basis and got relief. Marijuana is a bronchial dilator there have been many studies on this and many say that it is far superior to inhalers. As far as getting medical for it I would not ask your regular Dr I would go to a medical marijuana clinic with a pot friendly Dr. I think if you live in Cali it would be easier as I read somewhere it's on there list to get it but I am not sure about other states.

4. This is the exact same scenario that i've done,so many times. I need to get a new prescription for flovent and ventilin. I also take a medication called singulair,its for allergies and asthma,it helps. The winter is the worst for asthma,cold weather and such,i wake up too,hard to breath and all. I hate going to the doctor just to get more prescriptions,the last time my pharmacy faxed a renewal form and my doctor signed it. I guess you live in the us,in canada if i get that bad,then i goto the hospital,get ventilin in the mask,usually when i'm sick,which is every year.

5. #5 Ceia, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    im kind of skeptical just to go see a doctor for MMJ for my asthma, but i do suffer from migraines, usually about 3 a month and i am a male, so i might be able to use that as more "ammo" to fuel my reasoning. and no i dont live in cali sadly, but i do live in an MMJ state.

6. If you ever tell your doc,tell him you have a vape,i have one and it helps a bit,but can't take too huge of vapor rips,like i do with my vape,i milk the shit out of my bong with vapor, irritates the lungs a tad.

7. #8 Ceia, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    couldnt i be arrested though? i currently do not have a card but i have some actual problems that could be helped by it but i dont wanna tell my doctor
    "yeah so my asthmas still bad, but i bought some herb and i felt better man!" i dont want my doctor or ANYONE to think im some pot head just looking for new and easier ways to get high, i just wanna live a normal life without having pain in my head or lungs.. i feel like im a horrible person anytime i tell someone that i truely beleive MMJ could help me because i fear theyll think differently of me and just think im a druggy

its miserable, either i cant breathe and i can feel my lungs closing i start to get raspy and when i breathe you can hear the wheezing i feel like my body is slowly chokeing me i feel awful like im just gonna die this way, or i get my migraines and i dont feel like eating or being near anyone, all i want to do is lay down in a dark quiet room, smells and light irritate me really bad when i get my migraines, or even commercials, last time a burger king commercial was on when i had a migraine i threw up all over..its just awful i take excedrin migraine but i really dont like pills at all (family member is addicted to them)

8. Isn't there a such thing as doctor patient confidentiality? I'm going to the doc for add soon,just when i get to it someday,not going to mention asthma,because i don't think it really helps.

9. i have no clue. the only time iv really been to the doctors is to get checked up on, never really complained about my migraines and they test my asthma and just write a prescription and off i go

10. #11 longhairedbuds, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    When I replied before you had Cali listed as location. Have heard of a lot of people getting it for asthma out there. You would have to have a medically documented history of having migraines.

11. Yes, you have complete Doctor - patient confidentiality. If you tell your doctor something, they can't tell anyone. I am also worried about my doctor thinking I am a druggy, so I just got my records from him "for personal use" and I am making an appointment with a medical marijuana doc and he will not judge when he listens to me ask for a card.

What qualifies in different states is from this sticky:

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-...fy-mmj-recommendation-check-here-updated.html

12. you need to go to a medical marjianua clinic kind of doctor not your normal doctor.

call ahead and ask any questions

(im from california) just got my mmj card becasue i have asthma. they just required me to bring some prescription showing that i have asthma (advair or fast acting inhalors)

on the paperwork i put that ive tried using mmj to help with my asthma and that it doesnt give me any negative side effects and i got a card no problem

also i put insomnia down. ( although i do have some naturally, i also have insomnia induced by my asthma medications)

problem is if i have an asthma attack before bed doing a breathing treatment or fast acting inhaler (both artificial adrenaline) i cant sleep for hours. where as i have some mmj (use a vaporizer for your asthma/ general health) i can sleep like a baby and dont wake up any where near as often.

13. I have severe asthma and would take my inhaler about 10 times per day. If I smoke a little herb throughout the day, it cuts that number down to about 3 times per day. It works wonders :hello:

14. Vaporizer, edibles.

15. I'm not an expert but I would suggest you get a vaporizer or two. Ideally get a mflb portable vape for around 100$. If you kept it packed in your pocket you could take a hit in ten seconds whenever you had an attack. Also get another one for home( I know nothing about those but they take a a few minutes to heat up).
    Also edibles would be ideal if you could, but I really suggest the magic flight launch box portable vape.

16. Wow if marijuana could help my wife's asthma that would be pretty cool. I doubt I could convince her to try it though. Not at least while it remains illegal still in PA.

17. I'm sure it could. You should find some good research and stories of how it has helped people. I just read marihuana the forbidden medicine by Lester grinspoon. I suggest you look it up online and read the asthma chapter. It will explain how cannabis dilates the airways to the lungs and has a few people that share their stories.

Just my two cents.