AskEd's Coco Guide

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by AskEd, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Thanks for the very kind words! I hope it can help someone someday.

Good find man. Yeah this deep hobby has kept me busy lately trying all kinds of stuff :rolleyes:

Hey PB! Very cool man! I have a G13 Skunk #1 that I just soaked yesterday LOL You have some great looking plants bud :hello:

On the reusing - we don't reuse it for MJ, but MrsEd will recover most of it from harvests and we use it for our tomato plants, they love that shit. After that we toss it or work it into the bush soil out front.

On your scrog - you concerned about that run away cola? Man the only thing I know to do is snap some stems - not for the timid LOL I'm not a scrog guy though, maybe someone can chime in on this...

By bleeding do you mean runoff? If so mine is clear, but I rarely have any.

No idea, and every municipal water facility here has terrible websites if any at all! They will give you a report if you call them, but I have no idea on the chlorine man. I used it for some time with no issues (225ppm, 7.2ish). I have an RO system so it's silly for me not to use it, but I think the tap here is pretty damn good.

2. coo so youve used it,thats all i needed to know...thanks man.....yeah im gettin like a 8.2sh..might be time for me to calibrate...do you do your shoppin in the city or online? i went to texas hydro and there to dam high.. then i tried ordering online for the first time and fedex lost my shit..bad luck all around for me....Hopefully my luck will turn around come harvest..

3. Hi Ed, Once again big thanks for this MASSIVE thread.

I have started 2 coco girls and I also transplanted a DWC girl that was getting into a bad way.

I took some clones and put them in a bubble cloner.

I then chopped the roots from around the net pot and removed the clay pebbles (most fell off), I gave a half dose of canna coco A + B mixed with full strength rhizotonic. The coco i am using is also from canna mixed with some crushed hydroleca (clay pebbles).

Here they are.

Hope you don't mind the pictures.

Sweet

Attached Files:

4. The skunk is a scretcher so be ready for that.

What I meant by bleeding is do you any preference about our states college football teams longhorns aggies etc

5. I'm just looking round, n, Stumbled onto your GJ, .. So i thought I would say, Hi .. So .. ..

Hi Ed, .. and Mrs.Ed .. .. :)

:smoke:

6. #106 AskEd, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010
    I think the tap here is great! I'm on the west side of town and don't know my muni station offhand, but I think it's pretty consistent around town (sometimes I carry my meter around like a nerd LOL). We use tap in our veg garden outside with coco, I don't ph when hitting them with the hose or when adding nutes. Works great, we haven't bought tomatoes in months and eat fresh ones daily.

Anyhow - there's two hydro stores I like. They are a little high with somethings but it is what it is with hydro stores you know LOL You gotta expect to pay a little more than the deals you can find online. Paying cash discreetly has it's value too. :cool: But I agree, we checked out TH once and haven't been back. And I like to go check out the latest and greatest at least every week or two, there's some really cool cats I like at one place and the other I like has lots of coco products stocked now :rolleyes:, I'll PM ya ;)

Hey Greg! Man I love pics you kidding me, I just +rep'd ya LOL Canna is among the finest in the business man, you can't go wrong. Those plants look gorgeous man. Shaggy is doing a similar mix and looking great as well, I love seeing what others are doing with coco man so appreciate you sharing. You should post in the Post Your Coco Pics thread in the coco section :D

Awe geez, how embarrassing :eek: In all fairness you did catch me in off season :p It's orange LOL But you know I have so many friends and family of both, you know how it is. I've been to agg weddings and parties and watch in disgust as they sing their songs arm in arm LOL Lotta love there man... can't take that away.

Thanks for the heads up on the skunk man, my first run with with it. I jsut put her in my coco mix today, so she should sprout by mid week or so. I usually veg just long enough to get a clone (a week or two), then it's 12/12 time :)

WWM! As always great to see ya stop in man. I was reading your journal before I even registered with the city here, so to see you stop in and see this monster you helped create is very cool LOL

7. Great read with solid info - love the pics too! Going down to our garden store to pickup some Coco today!

8. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsw5D3C071M&feature=related"]YouTube - Willie Nelson / Shotgun Willie[/ame]

Hi Ed!

WOW! Go away on vacation and it's amazing what's gone on since! Not only did you come out with this MAGNIFICENT little ditty, but my poor little girl Mikasa fell from a just-seared rare to well-done. :cry: I lost 60% of the buds, and the remaining 40% suffered between 25-50% scorching. Ick.

But ENOUGH of my tribulations... this thread is worthy of the highest accolade administered in these here Boston parts... FRIGGIN-A AWESOME!!! :hello:

Once the climate here has moderated and I start indoor grow attempt number 2, (traded an extra phish tckt for clones to be named later :D) she'll be in coco and named Chanel in your honor. Hopefully by then I'll have replaced my camera and will be able to journal appropriately.

Thanks again for this great reference tool. Thanks to the Mrs. too. Big fan of growing green greenly.

9. hey guys.....just got back from the home de' pot....found a couple pretty cool things...the first are called grow thru plant supports...first saw the in a snow crash post i believe...they are round metal rings with a built in grid 2 1/2 in square...come in 12....16...18 inch and maybe larger......the metal legs are 18.....24....30 i believe.....im gonna take aquarium tubing ....epoxy it to the sides of my 3 gal square pots...insert the legs and have one pot self contained scrogs...easier to take care of and can be moved to even growth....outside will be great...the 18 inch cost $3.50.......such a bargin...and the other are called cable cuffs...look like 1/2 have of a handcuff and are the bomb for grouping wires and tidying up the grow area...cost like $1.50.......maybe you've seen em already but if not you might check em out.....love the de' pot good growin' ....the deacon:wave:

10. hey ed :wave:, glad to see ya have a sticky , you deserve it .
    i tried to do coco before and well i didnt realy have good results . i didnt know anything about it . i tried to mix the perlite 50/50 with the coco. then tried a light nute mix but i wasnt sure how to apply everthing properly and how often .

well i am going to attempt to try it again with one plant to dail in a routine i guess. now i was wondering if you could help me swtch a 2 inch 2 week old sprout to coco? so with the transfer i would just rinse out the roots n place in a coco fiber 1qt pot. i have no more perlite so it will be just fiber.

this is where i have trouble,the nutes i am using are A.N. sensi 2 part grow & bloom . as base's and carbo load ,big bud & open sesame for additives. i only use 1/8 to 1/4 dose on my soil plants with the 2 parts bcuzz of how strong they are.

Can you help find a good schedule to start with since i dont have any good xperiance with this?
    should i mix the nutes in with every watering or do like soil with nute ,2 water then nute again and how strong?

thanx

11. i've tried both watering methods, and frequent shows me wayyy more growth, so i'm sticking with that. it is preference though.

12. Right on man! I hope it works well for you! Go coco! LOL

Hey Bob! Thanks for the kind words and great vid LOL Took me a minute to figure out the Channel but I got it! Great honor man. Sorry to hear of your loss though, I know it's not easy...

Glad to see you back! Let me know when you got your grow coco chanel going LOL

Right on Deacon! I might try some of those myself!

Hey JB! I've rinsed roots & transplanted with no issues. It's not for the faint of heart and I wouln't do it with an endangered species if you know what I mean (plan for the worst) but I think you'll be fine man.

I'll get with you more on the nutes, I don't know anything about that brand but I def suggest alternating water/nutes schedule to start with them dial it in from there.

I think the nutes have some input on the water/feeding preferences too. Some programs want to have nutes added every time like Canna, and some want alternating like Botanicare & Fox Farms. I think when you use those for some time you get used to watering and feeding in a certain way and develop a mindset for it, especially if it's working LOL Great thing is coco works with them all it seems and I agree, daily watering can really get growth going fast. This rain everyday has my outside garden looking like a forest.

I have a clone that's rooted and very hungry but I want to hold off transplanting, so I have a squeeze bottle of diluted nutes that I hit her with several times a day and she's loving it. I was thinking how you'd approve of her daily feedings there :) She's back to green and about to monster on me :D

13. #113 ShaggyGT, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    I run mine at about 5ml less than the suggested dosage by Botanicare. I feed every 3 days, this is with pure coco coir and hydrotron. There are some of the supplements I will run full strength but for the nutes, cal-mag, and root stimulant I follow the above. I use it with RO and my pH will drop to 5.8 on its own or damn close. :)

I use the following:
    CNS17 Grow
    CNS17 Bloom
    CNS17 Ripe
    Cal-Mag +
    Liquid Karma
    Hydroplex
    Sweet Raw

Also use Great White Root stimulant, works really well. :)

14. Hey Jiggaboo, I ran the AN Sensi Bloom in Coco before. The Sensi Grow doesn't have the right nutrient values for coco, specifically coco needs a bit more phosphorus and potassium during veg than other media. The Bloom is good throughout the grow.

I did burn the shizzle out of some of my plants though, and I think 1/2 to 3/4 suggested strength (about 5 to 6ml per gallon) is plenty. I'm not sure about the open sesame but the big bud should be used around week 3 of flowering, and not for very long, (alternate feedings) as the phospho load can result in salt build up if you're not careful.

With Sensi Bloom you are going to need to supplement magnesium like there is no tomorrow. I've been using organicare huvega because it's the only stand-alone Mg supplement I can find on the market. EVERYTHING else has 3 times the calcium to magnesium, and if you use tap water with calcium in it already that adds to the problem. The source of magnesium in Huvega is Magnesium Sulfate though (Epsom Salt) so you could also mix up an Epsom salt solution in a 2 liter soda bottle (as much as will dissolve into the water) and add that at about 20ml per gallon in addition to any cal-mag solution you are using.

Once you hit mid flowering and after the phospho load with the Big Bud you really want to dial back the nutrients. Potassium and the micro-nutrients are still in pretty high demand but the coco has retained phosphates the entire grow, and has developed a bank of the element for the plant to draw from. Adding more phosphate after mid flowering is going to create more problems than it solves. Cut the Sensi back to 1/4 strength (2 to 3ml) and let it ride.

Even with terribly burned up leaves on my OG18 I still pulled a nice 5-6oz from it under a 400w lamp. I had another 3 plants in there also that didn't burn as bad but also didn't harvest as heavy. The strain you are growing will come in to play here, but the concentrated nature of the sensi bloom makes just a ml or two too much seem like the end of the world.

15. #116 Alatar, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010

That's interesting. I'm seeing some potassium deficiency in week 6 of 12/12. I'm using the Fox Farm trio for soil (if you squint, coco looks kinda like soil) & Cal-Mag Plus. So maybe I'm getting the potassium deficiency that I deserve. Cannabis justice can be cruel. :bongin:

[​IMG]

----

Attached Files:

16. Ive seen those kinds of leaves on my plants as well alatar.

17. I picked up a bottle of that Humboldt Nutrients Deuce-Deuce (0-0-22) and I only need about 10ml of the stuff in a 5 gallon reservoir (2ml/gallon). It makes a big difference. I find that hydroponic nutrients aren't really geared towards MJ, which needs more potassium and magnesium than your standard regiments offer.

I hate having to add 7 things to my water. It's like Coco nutes A and B, then the calcium, then the magnesium and micro-plex, then the humic acid, then the potassium supplement, then the root enzyme, occasionally seaweed extracts... And during bloom I can add in the pk 13/14 and the bloom booster.

I know the reason for having some things separate at these concentrations, to avoid precipitates, I just wish I didn't have to spend $50 per plant on nutrients (averaged).

I think my goal for coco is to run it Ed style, go with organic amendments, and cut out the nutes. Some day...

18. Thanks. Good tip.