AskEd's Coco Guide

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by AskEd, Jun 20, 2010.

1. #81 Cudi, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  2. would coir be a viable replacement for hydroton in a dwc setup?
    i'm about to build a bubble bucket and all i have are seeds that i want to grow (bagseed) and would like to germ them in coir in a net pot then place that straight into the dwc when roots start to grow through.

3. Hope you dont mind Ed id like to take a stab at this.

I have heard and seen people use coco in DWC, the only down side is the coco could fall through the net pot. Now this might not be terrible but if you are using recirculating dwc then it COULD clog your pump.

But the good news is you can use coco in the dwc and you should see amazing results. Maybe put hydroton on the bottom and sides of the net pot and place the coco inside this hydroton barrier to trap the coco in.

Hope I got it right, if not Ed can probably give you a correct answer. good luck

EDIT: not sure if they make this but a freaking small enough coco pot would be baller in dwc! it might get too wet tho. hmm or maybe buy a coco mat and use that to line the net pots.

4. #84 AskEd, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    Hey Cudi! Thanks for the kind words and for looking at all that :) I'm using a 600W HPS w/cooltube in a 3' x 3' area, the height changes a lot but I try to keep it 12"-24", however I have plants grow up to 6" from the cool tube and some down as low as 30" (I put them super low and shaded almost for their first few days of HPS). For vegging I use a 2' T5, and I try not to veg for more then 2-3 weeks. There's really not that much to my grow, it's really simple IMO but I'm happy to answer any questions on something in particular.

That coco you linked to is very good, looks to be the same size as the one I expanded in the guide. Sunleaves is a great brand, I've had really good success with them.

Cloning in coco is something else, MrsEd's Jenna Boo (LSD) would not root in the aero cloner after 2 weeks, so we put her in coco and 2 weeks later she rooted! That's when I decided this was my new way LOL

Thanks again! Appreciate the feedback and interest in all this.

This is a good question and one I've been wondering about myself. I have all the stuff to try it, for several months now LOL I was hoping Shaggie or Mech or someone else would beat me to it as I am low on space.

My concern is the constant bubbling below, I believe the coco will wick this up and maintain a really high moisture level, perhaps enough to cause some problems.

If you have the time and are OK with a total failure (you said bagseed right? :)) I'd say try it and see what happens. I know a few people who would be interested in that and have BB experience to offer if needed.

Wish I had a solid answer man, but I can't call this one. I am curious though and have thought about this a lot.

5. I was thinking about coco in DWC this morning. Net cup would need to be lined with maybe a coco pot???

I think it would work fine, I used STG for years in my aeroflow. It retains water and I can't see coco being much different.

6. i'll start germing today. hopefully i'll have the dwc res built by the time i need it. :D

7. Absolutely man, the more input the better!

With airstones I don't think there'll be issues with loose coco, but yeah it might be a concern with water pumps perhaps. But if pond pumps can handle fish shit and who knows what else, I think coco will be OK :)

8. Interesting idea with the coco pot... would make a moisture semi-barrier it seems, and solve the loose coco scenario perhaps.

:hello: :hello: All the best my friend, please keep me in the loop on that :) A journal maybe? :D

9. It was on the list of things to try since I have some extra space to work with, just havent started it yet. I am definitely starting the seeds in coco and then place that into hydrotron. Should work well. I plan on running standalone buckets and just topping off when it needs it. :)

10. LOL! Somehow I knew you'd have it on the list :D Your a mad scientist bro, that's what I like about you :p

11. I gotcha Ed, .. ..

Thank ya dude, .. It helped me .. .. .. ;)

:smoke:

12. Lol. Thanks bro!!!! :D

13. hey guys ....posted in regular coco forum...no respones...so here it is.....scrog 4th week veg....t-5 high output just about on the screen....18 hour daylight cycle temps run 73/74...when i close tent for 6 hour dark period temps rise to about eighty with fans running....plants are doing well...super short internodes..thick...will soon post pics....is this reverse in temp going to mess their timing up....thanks for any and all help.........the deacon....ps lovin' the info on this forum...coco rocks

14. I have no idea if cool during "day" and hot at "night" is bad..hopefully someone else can handle that. My noob answer is has it been alright so far?

What kind of ventalation do you have for the tent? If it heats up when the door is zipped up try to open more vents on the side or if its homemade add some more intake vents. Something you can try next round, or now I guess, is to have a fan pull air into the tent for you. Or blow the air in

Good luck

15. yeah...hate to mess with whats workin' so far.....got most all the vents open and 200 something cmf 4 inch suckin' exhaust....when i put the 400 hps in then i need to crank the fans.......thanks playboy...we all learn together...just got 2700 k ho bulbs for the t-5...so many things to try...so little space to grow..lol:cool:

16. Hey deacon, I tried to find a link to an article I read, but had no luck. In that article it was talking about some greenhouse in Holland that ran heaters during the dark cycle to keep the stretching down. I don't recall the exact numbers but seems like they ran a few degrees hotter in the dark cycle and liked the results. As I understand the only timing the plant really cares about is when it's getting 10-11 hours of dark at a time consistently.

17. #97 it is wut it is, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010
    Whoa..thats some dam nice info man thanks a hell buncha lot....You wear rosenthals name very well... this is copy paste material.im sure this post will make it to many other forums...and big ups to the wifey as well

18. thanks Ed...found a good forum about this on i.c. forums.......says some commercial growers of plants use this to control plant height and internode.s are super short...another thing to store away for experimentation.....perhaps with tall sativa's for indoor or scrog...thats what i love about growin...so much to learn and try....heres too good growin for us all........thanks again....the deacon:)

19. Hey Ed, wanted to show you what I have been working with and had a question for ya.

I have 3 G13 Skunk#1 vegged probably 3 weeks under 400mh then 2 weeks 1000mh. Topped and did lst, I orginally had 4 plants but once I put the screen over them one of them kind of became the runt and got taken over. Currently day 28 flower.

This was my first scrog and the middle got a lil out of control directly under the light. Gotta find a solution to that somehow. Anyways Canna coco in 5 gal pots hand watering at about 875 ppm right now. I reallly like coco you dont have to go 1000+ the plants love it at like 900.This is my first real attempt, I have never gotten this far before. But I am not a noob I have a very very technical degree and I have been a non noob my entire life so..

What I wanted to ask is, do you re-use your coco?

I already have a new idea ready to go, I have 5 Bubba Kush moms going right now under some t5 should be ready to put out about 40 clones as soon as I chop this skunk I cannot wait to get that going! Gonna try sog with drippers

Question off subject and feel free to dodge this but do you bleed orange, maroon, or neither?

If you wouldnt mind clicking the group shot pic and making it big, look towards the bottom right corner. That is the area that is having the most trouble. didnt realize you could see so much detail when you click the pic and make it big. THanks Ed

Attached Files:

20. Hey Ed'o quick question bud,,,us being in the same city...do you know if our water supply uses chlorine or chloramine?.. i cant find a report of our water online..