AskEd's Coco Guide

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by AskEd, Jun 20, 2010.

1. #2221 SunniCheebah, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Hey Earthlings! Just popped 2 Papayas and a warlock. First time using coco. Thanks Ed, it's because of you! Bless.

2. image.jpeg
    Cocos great man, first time grower and my plants are thriving 3 weeks today

• Like Like x 3
  3. Quick question for all you coco 'nuts out there lol. I'm transitioning from soil to coco/perlite mix just for a change.
    I love doing small grows' I've done loads of gigged grows but just love the challenge with training plants in small spaces it gives me more satisfaction and less stress than bigger grows.

My question is what line of nutrients to pick? I'm stuck on so many and it's so easy to get court up in the hype of paying through the nose for supliments and what ever, I'm just looking for a simple 2 part or even 3 part nutrient' I'm not interested in all the supliments that go with 'I have learned in my time growing the green that I will yield good bud at a decent size using just the bloom for flowering and the grow for veg and that's it.
    So any good suggestions would be great thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. Can anyone see anything wrong with this setup? Basically set a 3.5 - 5 gallon paint bucket with holes drilled in the bottom, bottom 2" filled with chunky perlite, the rest filled with coco.. sitting in a larger rubbermaid tub that will act as a nutrient reservoir.. and finally an air line that keeps the nutrients oxygenated.

The idea is that you can go a week or so between waterings... i was wondering if this could/would work, did a little research, and someone else has already tried it and seemed to be successful.

any feedback would be appreciated... ideas, critiques, things to look out for..

here is a thread of someone figuring this system out: Hydro bucket (hempy with extra reservoir) - Indoor Grows - Hydro - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Attached Files:

5. have you ever heard of tropf blumats?

6. I've heard of blumats yes. Are those a special type?

7. the tropf are the ones used for full-sized plants. i just wasn't sure if you knew about them because they are good for being able to leave your set-up for a while (if dialed in right). If you use a upper/lower reservoir it is even better.

carry on...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I am no expert here, but I can attest to you that bubble buckets are definitely faster than Coco. I am talking growth rates at like an inch a day during seedling.

But, regarding taste, if You flashed properly and long enough, bubble buckets tastes really good too. And they smell really great. But then again I don't know how that compares to "organic"

I'm doing my first grow in pure coco in 1 gallon fabric pots. I have noticed seedling growth is good, but slower than bubble buckets.

I do have a question/confusion that I hope someone can help me clear up. It is regarding the whole how much calcium to add to the feed. For me, 1 mL of CallMagic in 1 L of RO water yields 350 ppm for me. ( that's what is recommended at the back of the bottle anyway.).

Do you guys use full strength of Calimagic even though during the seedling phase? Can Cali magic give nute Burns?

9. depends on the amount of cal/mag in your nutrients. I only need to use .5ml/gal of calimagic, but i use a complete nutrient that already has a good amount of cal/mag in it. The main problem would be that too much cal/mag would lock out other nutrients.

10. I'm growing for the first time in 20 years. Using tap and cns grow (still in veg) in coco/perlite. Stuff has been very easy to use and the plants have responded. Started with 7.5ml per gallon. Up to 15ml per gal on the bigger ones, and it's definitely not too much. I intend to go 20ml per gal soon, but slow and steady wins the race. I did add Azomite @ 1 TBSP per gallon of media. Mainly for the silica aspect, but it does contain Cal/Mag at a ratio that seemed like it would help with cocos known shortcomings.

On a side note. Much praise to all those who have thrown in their experience and knowledge assembling this thread. AskEd, you da man. Lots of useful info here. Carry on.

11. Hey its my 1st time growing I got a hydro bin set up but I wanted to try one in coco coir is mother earth coco pearlite mix of its 70% coco 30% pearlite. I've already spent like 300$ I need a decent cheat coco mix I can order online since no stores around d me Cary coco

• Like Like x 1
  12. Canna coco A+B my friend just don't mix to strength on bottle lol start light n work way up let the plant guid you

13. Some autos from my first 2 grows with them. DSCN6135.JPG DSCN6319.JPG DSCN6327.JPG DSCN6335.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSCN6099.JPG DSCN6281.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. How do you like Autos compared to a photo.?

15. image.jpeg image.jpeg I actually love them :) I'm getting massive yeild simply by ding heavy supercroping once they start to stretch this girls now at 13 weeks from seed n well she holds her own against photo strains no drama and as for potency I've actually found it verrrrry high
    From what I can gather an auto will give grower back what grower puts in pretty much lol chuck it in a pot get back an once or 2 heavily train it n give it optimal growth ability n well there amazing this one is auto Bluetooth a strain only supposed to stay fairly small hahaha I'm looking at half a pound atleast off her at the moment :) way above its expected output

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ok people is it normal for a plant grown in coco to start randomly sticking roots up out of the coco everywhere lol????? I noticed tonight when watering my girl in 50lt tub that she's got an insane root sytem looks to have taken over the tub but I've got roots which are quit thick sticking up out of the coco into the air and a really thick one running around the outer edge of the tub at the surface also ??

17. H

18. Thanks Ed! This has to be the most informative thread on coco there is, well done. I have been growing for sometime with coco and I have always ended up with very dark green plants, but not with clawing...but they do always have a little bit on burn on the tips and the edges of the leaves. I tested my run off the other day and no shit it was above 4000 ppm! Now the highest feeding I have given my girls was around 1300ppm and I always make sure there is run off. Anyway I flushed one down to 700ppm and left her to dry out for her next watering, I then gave her 900ppm tonight(I am in the 4th week of flower, pineapple chunk) I got a run off reading of 1900ppm! The flowers are developing slowly, and I am not sure if its because pineapple chunk is unstable and a terrible strain(thats all I have heard from many grows) or its because they are overfed...oh and some of the pistols are turning pinkish, not sure if this is stress or the strain. What do you think?

19. Thanks Ed! This has to be the most informative thread on coco there is, well done. I have been growing for sometime with coco and I have always ended up with very dark green plants, but not with clawing...but they do always have a little bit on burn on the tips and the edges of the leaves. I tested my run off the other day and no shit it was above 4000 ppm! Now the highest feeding I have given my girls was around 1300ppm and I always make sure there is run off. Anyway I flushed one down to 700ppm and left her to dry out for her next watering, I then gave her 900ppm tonight(I am in the 4th week of flower, pineapple chunk) I got a run off reading of 1900ppm! The flowers are developing slowly, and I am not sure if its because pineapple chunk is unstable and a terrible strain(thats all I have heard from many grows) or its because they are overfed...oh and some of the pistols are turning pinkish, not sure if this is stress or the strain. What do you think?

20. image.jpeg My girl :) 50 lt tub coco perlite mix 7 weeks from seed flipped her 12/12 around 9 days ago