AskEd's Coco Guide

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by AskEd, Jun 20, 2010.

1. #2081 reddiesel1064, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    Ayee ninja gotta question bro . I'm wondering.. should I put these beautiful girls in 1 g pots or 3 g? Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. So is it better to mix your soil with organic amendments in the beginning (blood meal, shell powder all that) first because it is impossible for the plant to take too much, or does it really not matter.

3. so if i want my plant to have tds of 750 do i make the run off that or the nute solution i mix?

4. or should i be watering the coco with the mixed formula of 750 until the run off is the exact same? i dont get it, dwc was easy to keep plant at limit and monitor ppm changes, coco, not so much

5. [quote name="nonfiction" post="19315459" timestamp="1389380587"]or should i be watering the coco with the mixed formula of 750 until the run off is the exact same? i dont get it, dwc was easy to keep plant at limit and monitor ppm changes, coco, not so much[/quote]You definitely want to make it the starting solution not run off. Run off in coco is boo boo. The ec/TDS/ppm and pH are always gonna come out high and seem wack. I think it's because with every watering/feed it washes out some nutrients/salts in the root zone and replaces it with new. That's what the runoff is. The water in the mix goes in and a certain amount held by the medium. Whatever water the medium can't hold (make at least 10% runoff of what you put in) runs out the bottom along with old unused salts. This helps to reduce salt build up and pH and ec fluctuations. Also never let the coco get dry. Ya it's definitely different because you can't really check the pH and ec of the medium easily at any time. I mean you can but it can be damaging to your roots. You gotta dig in there and take samples of coco from different areas of the rootball and then mix it 1:5 coco: distilled water. Then record it's pH over the course of an hour. Then average all the recordings. I'm still pretty new to growing and coco. I want to switch to organic this year.

6. 3 gallon minimum 

7. does run off matter at all? how do i monitor changes? what if i do 750 and plant only needs 700? do i have to wait for signs of burns? not like dwc where stick thing in water and get results?

8. [quote name="nonfiction" post="19319064" timestamp="1389423755"]does run off matter at all? how do i monitor changes? what if i do 750 and plant only needs 700? do i have to wait for signs of burns? not like dwc where stick thing in water and get results?[/quote]runoff only matters in that you have enough of it, always water to at least 10% runoff of the water you poured in. I don't measure my Runoff or anything, I just water to the point where a bunch comes out as runoff, what feels like at least 10% if not much more. There isn't an easy way to monitor changes in the medium other than the distilled water & coco from the root ball method. Yes pretty much wait for signs of burns, but like hydro it won't take long for a problem to show if there is one. At which point you can go about correcting it. Coco has a slight pH buffer to around 6.0 so that can help to keep things in order. Also what is highly recommended is getting a myco that can live in high salt environments. I've been recommended subculture M and subculture B and have seen the results of their use combined with molasses and it's great! It's all about the roots baby

9. Thank you so much, I'll stop wasting time with run off and focus on basic guidelines determined by age and size

10. #2090 viscious_green, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    So when I prepare my coco mix should I just do the whole brick? Can I store the unused coco in a bag ? I'm going to start in one gallon and transfer to 3 gallon.

Found answers. I was lazy earlier I guess.

11. When starting off in coco what are feeding schedules. Are you not suppose to give it anything but water till round pedals fall off then start feeding. I have foxfarm trio,cal/mag,hygrozyme. I fed them right from the start but they don't look that great. I think I was suppose to wait. Idk tho help me out plz

12. you should wait till about the second set of leaves...then give them just calmag and very little nutes for a week ...then start feeding heavier

13. ok thanks a lot.. how bout the hygrozyme?

14. is it in powder form? if so you can sprinkle it around the base of the plants and water it in...But it would work better if you let it sit in a bucket of water with an air stone for a few hours before using

Its liquid form

16. Some great info in here I'll start reading thru it all tonight.

17. then add it to the correct amount of water...it would still be better sitting with an air stone in it for a while

18. Great guide but im having Problems with PH coco need help soon...First experiment with coco or even a soil for that matter.Girls are showing signs of ph prob I'm using a ph meter with light ph n moisture arm not digital much like a clocks arm lol. Ph was about 7.5 but girls showed a sign of ph prob so I water with 6ph. soil ph did not adjust tried 5 ph'd water still no change in soil (5gallon leach each watering)each watering took about 10mins to prep) after no change in soil ph I watered with about 4.0 ph than soil meter dropped to about 6.5.. Am I using a reasonable solution to fix my girls.. they are about a week old after hydroponic cloning,took about 10days to root once roots showed I transplanted to soil 10gallon pot now about a week later mild discoloration of light green is spotting first an only sign in 2 of my girls my 3rd has same issue but also shows a folding or(clawing) in leaves.. Fox farm nutes strain is purple gsc please helpAlso by leach I mean took them outside n flushed 20 gallons of water through coco with 4.0 ph water to dropp to about 6.5 ph my ph test is general hydronic drops . Digital ph meter is coming in the mail ATM please help thank u all for adviceAfter reading your guide I could be having a calmag issue plus not letting soil drain enough but nonetheless I can't get soil to drop from 7.5-6.5 to my desired 6-5.8ph went from bag to 10gal transplant from my hydro cloner and first watering I supplemented 2.5 ml cal mag 1.5ml big grow fox farm and gen organic bio root .5 ml per gal using 1 gal hand feed with ph 6 water still not at my desired soil ph how can I fix.. I've been told scrap the grow start fresh not an option ATM for me this is take 2 of clone already a month behind schedule I think heavier calmag would have solved my discoloration a yellow tip on fan leaves one girl does have taco leaves which I see as magnesium def. how can I get coco to my 6ph please helpSent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

19. Will buy a flush aid to remove excess salts todaySent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

20. #2100 Dingus, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    [quote name="ohmygaud" post="19423392" timestamp="1390937191"]Will buy a flush aid to remove excess salts todaySent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum[/quote]a flushing agent will work though I have no experience with them. When you flushed did you do it with plain pH'd water? I've found that, that does not work either. What does work is flushing with a very low strength veg solution + cal mag. Per 1 gallon I do 1ml FFGB &1ml cal mag. Also don't check run off in coco. It will drive you mad. Just pH your everything going in. The only way to check coco's rootball pH is to mix 1:5 coco: distilled water. You must be careful not to damage the roots too much but take coco from throughout the medium and then yeah mix it and check the pH over an hour. Sometimes it changes throughout an hour other times it stays about the same. I like to take a reading every 10 minutes am then average them together. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum