Ask a dog trainer

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Irie67, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Ah man, thank you for your input, really. I run him around the apartment the best I can before it is time to eat. You are spot on with the food prices, but I do not mind so long as he is eating well and it is not too much of a strain on my wallet. I will give the reward for food method a shot, as he is already relatively well trained and will have no issues with a simple command. Again, thank you :hello:

2. No problem brother. Thanks for the rep

3. How can I get my new dog to get along with my other 2? I have a rottweiler and a lab and just recently got a beagle. The big dogs have no problem with the beagle until he goes up to them, they start sniffing each other and then he starts growling and barks which set's them both off. I know the rott will probably tear him apart if they fought and I want to be able to leave them outside together without them fighting. My lab is old so he doesn't attack back and is deaf so he kinda just takes it while the beagle tries to attack him.

4. When you take your pack from 2 dogs to 3 dogs you are changing the dinamic of the pack. You no-longer have a couple of dogs, you now have a pack and you need to do a good job at communicating two things.

1-We are a family
    2-I am the one and only dictator (pack leader) of this family

As with all dogs in all families, I highly recomend proper obedience training. This is the correct way to communicate your leadership role. Other than that, there are two specific activities that help strengthen pack drive. Traveling and eating. In a wild wolf pack, canines travel for many miles and work as a team to bring down game for the pack to eat. It takes teamwork and the wolves learn that they must work as a team or the final goal is not accomplished. Any fighting amonst themselves will result in a weaker team creating a pack that is inefficient and cant hunt. As owners of domesticated wolves(dogs), we need to try to duplicate these activities to ensure our own success as pack leaders. So in order to simulate traveling, hunting and eating, we must take them on long, physically draining walks, followed by a resting period to prevent bloat, then everyone eats as a pack while being supervised by the pack leader.
    The walks will drain their energy, mimick pack activity and then they will feel that they need to save their energy for tomarrows walk. No leftover energy for fighting. They should be walked side-by-side. Forced to heel. NO shitty retractable leashes. These things should be outlawed. They give all the power to the dog and they promote bad relationships by letting the dog walk you 15 feet ahead. No They must Heel. This is a constant reminder of who is pack leader. If they will not heel, once again, obedience training is how this is accomplished.
    When you go to feed them, everyone must go to their 'place' (a pet bed designated for eating time), 'sit,'stay', and wait to be released. Do not release them until they give you eye contact. The eye contact is proof that they believe that you own the food and are the catalyst that says when they are allowed to eat. When they look you in the eye they are asking permission. They are saying please.

Heeling , obedience, and proper feeding techniques. Structured pack activity that you control and prove your leadership. This is your answer.

Also, in a pack, NEVER leave items laying around that could cause a fight. A rawhide, chew bone, toy, treat, full food bowl are all valuable resources that can be fought over and once the fighting starts its very hard and expensive to get it to stop. You control all valued resources and give them when you know that it is time and you can supervise.

5. Is obedience school or training a dog by yourself better?

6. #26 BuRnTrEeS247, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    Okay I have a half English bulldog/ austrlian shepard I think Idk if I spelled it right or watever lol last one is a guess.. his mom escaped to have this miracle lol..Kk well the only PROBLEM I HAVE AND IS BAD I THINK AND DANGEROUS.... When we are inside my truck he hAs the back to himself but he always wants to come up front to be with my gf.. he loves her alot.. but its dangerous I don't mind just don't want him hitting the wheel and killing us lol. Thanks..

Question.. how to make him stay in the back alone of the truck?

7. It is always better to train your own dog rather than having someone else do it for you. What obedience school does is teach you how to train your dog. So either way you will be training your own dog.

8. One of my dogs barks a lot (pomeranian) and when I don't respond or pay attention to her she starts spinning in circles and dancing, which is amusing when I am high but its odd. What does it mean.

9. They make a doggy seatbelt which I highly recomend. Cars can be very dangerous for dogs even for ones that are in a crate. When using a device like this, you have to train him to use the seatbelt or he will end up breaking out of it. Put it on, give a reward (affection or a high value food reward), then immediately take it off. Let him know that every time you put it on, you will always come back to take it off. On- reward- off. repeat many many times. Give disipline if he tries to reject it before you remove it. Anytime you buy a product and then just use it without explaining the object to the dog first, you will fail

10. This most likely is a bored dog. Walk her a lot more than you do now and teach her some tricks. The characteristics that you are describing will get worse if you treat them as though they are funny. She sees that you are amused which is giving positive reinforcement to an unstable mind. You need to correct the barking with a consequence so that it doesn't escalate to spinning. A water-squirt bottle usually works great for smaller breeds as a consequence.

11. When my parents take my dog for a walk, she is totally fine, but when I take her for a walk about 15 minutes later she starts to buck and jump around on the leash. She makes it hard to walk with her because she literally will pull me hard enough to make me fall on my ass. She makes it so she chokes herself and then she will start to jump like she is being trapped.

Breed: Irish Wolfhound

12. thanks she does sit around a lot so I can see how she is bored.

13. How long can my pit bull stay underwater?

14. I have no clue. Probably close to the amount of time that you can stay under water

15. Hey Irie!:wave:

Hey so I have been working with dogs for years and years now.. I started off working for the local cities Animal Control... Got tired of putting animals to sleep, so now I work at a doggie daycare/boarding facility. It's a hell of a lot better on my conscious!;)

Well I'm ready to take the next step in my doggie career, and I would like to be able to train pups for a living.. I am wondering if there is a school you went to? Or is it something that you have to figure out yourself? We do have a trainer that uses our building, but she is "self taught" and not willing to train.

Working with animals is sooo rewarding for me ya know? I just want to up my game so I have more to offer for our four legged friends. Thanks for your input bud.:smoke:

16. #36 pyro44199, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    I also have a Bassett hound whose nails grow like weeds. Problem is they are like concrete and all of my clippers have problems cutting and he yelps like I'm murdering, just like if you scare him or bump into him or do anything to him. I'm not asking you grooming tips I am just curious how to make him not be a bitch so to speak.

edit: background is he was a rescue from an incredibly abusive and or neglectful home which I assume explains his extreme submissiveness

17. my dog is house trained but he shits on the back porch instead of the grass and i cant catch him in the act because i leave him outside for 30 to 45 min to use the bathroom and run around but when i come to let him in there is shit on the porch he pisses in the grass but shits on the porch.

18. #38 Irie67, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    There are two schools that I recomend. Triple Crown in Dallas and National K-9 in Ohio. Do not take an online class. If you search dot training schools, thats what you'll find first. Avoid them at all costs. Rip-off. If going and staying in a dorm for 10 weels at one of these facilities is not an option for you, the only other way is to apprentice under other trainers and read. I'll recomend a book to you to get you started. "The Koehler Method of Dog Training". This is the original textbook on how to train a dog written by William Koehler an old walt disney trainer. This book is old and has some rather harsh methods that I would never do and that I do not agree with, however, there is a lot of brilliance in these pages. I researched every method around from treat training to e-collar training for years. As soon as I read this book, I instantly became twice as good of a trainer.

Edit:
    Becoming a dog trainer has been a long journey for me. I paid for a rip-off online course. I worked under 3 different trainers as an apprentice, and I volunteered at shelters while reading books. Read a book, try it out on a dog at the shelter. Also, Listen to Cesar Milan. Its not fake. Its not a behind the scenes trick. Dude knows what he's doing.

19. This is just a case of a dog who is either really untrained or is spoiled by your parents. If she doesn't like to walk with you she is telling you that she is not comfortable with your relationship. If you agree with me on this, try to improve the relationship by teaching tricks and training obedience. Regardless, a dog that wont walk right needs to be made to walk right.

20. Most dogs hate nail trimming. If its extreme, try sedatives.

As far as his unstable mind, Walk kim everyday and teach him tricks. Teach him to touch your hand with his nose for a treat, then after he understands the game really well, he can play it with other people. It will be his way of becoming comfortable with new people. Fearful dogs are always a challengs. They will always be skiddish, but can really make great improvements with proper daily exercise and training.