Ashcatcher doesnt work

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by RazzleberryCake, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Hey guys, so im new here but I have a question and wanted your help. I just got a new ashcatcher for my bong. Its just one i picked up at a head shop for like $50 after looking around for a while. I wanted one so badly because my bong gets unbelievable dirty after one use. So i used the ashcatcher, and it did hardly anything. Is there a trick to it that im not seeing? Am i supposed to only put a little bit of water in there? My bong still got super dirty after one smoke sesh. Did I buy a bad ashcatcher?

2. as mentioned post some pics of your piece and ashcatcher, but how dirty can your piece get from one hit? you got enough water in there?

3. Regardless of how much water you use, just sounds like you blaze a fair bit of bud there!

What you need is a carbon adaptor. 

If you do get one, you no longer have any dirty issues and because you are filtering the smoke through carbon, its nicer tasting, healthier smoke. 

I swear by carbon filters. Links below for what you need.

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/weed-star-carbon-filter-adapter-18-8-mm-joint.html

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/blackleaf-activated-charcoal-for-carbon-filter-attachment-20-grams.html

4. pretty sure they capture a lot of what's medicating you in the first place..

5. Yeah I would think so to. I'm not sure the exact science behind THC and carbon, but carbon filters are designed to remove unwanted chemicals in whatever application they are used in... I'd be wary of this without solid evidence it doesn't remove WANTED chemicals as well.

6. #7 Joyetech, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    Ok I'm less fucked up now.
    From my knowledge (and don't quote me.. I dropped out Of Stanford at age 16..)

-THC and cannabinoids are very non-polar. -

If you've ever taken chemistry (I hope all of you blades have) and have used
    activated carbon, you will know that it has low volume pores, and also has an attraction to non-polar organic compounds.

Activated carbon removes PHENOLS.

AC also has a primary in odor control, and water purification to remove taste (I'm looking at all of you with your Tap-to-drinking-water- filters on your sink) . A large number of taste and odor compounds come from large bulky aromatic ring molecular structures and tannins.
    It would make sense that AC would strip your smoke of it's flavor,
    and obviously THC AND Cannabinoids..

While I have no scientific proof, the principle is very standard and simple... Filter something that resembles thc/CBD, and you will also filter the thc/CBD.

So while in the long run it
    might be slightly healthier to use a carbon filter, it's not as if your lungs are unable to repair themselves from Marijuana smoke. Tobacco smoke is a different story.

I am perfectly content with filtering my smoke with just water and ice.. I can run half marathons no problemo, eat unhealthy, do whatever. Weed hasn't harmed me yet :)

7. Fair play, you're right, my lungs can probably clear the side effects regarding smoke.

A good run of information regarding the carbon itself and its usefulness..

But there's no harm in filtering some carcinogens out is there?!

Plus, I still get totally messed up when using the filter. So what if I lose 2% THC/CBD or whatever, I'm still ripped as fuck  :bongin:

8. C'mon, where are all the peeps with positive notes regarding carbon filtering?! I need some love! :cry:
    lol

9. You actually went to Stanford? The hardest college to get into in the US? At age 16? Likely story...

10. Getting straight A's, skipping a few grades and doing that isn't hard at all if you diligently apply yourself... especially in my case due to prior family alumni, and well, my wealth factor.

As a matter of fact I did receive an education from Stanford... I will not fully explain myself, but I would like to establish that I've been to around 8 schools for "higher" education and could not stand the social differences @ stanford along with how academically impaired I was in comparison to the brainiacs (extremely fucking stuck up btw) and stopped attending for a multitude of reasons.. mainly because of my debilitating obsessive compulsive disorder which has hindered my love of life for over 8 years.

I actually just realized how pojntless it is to type out my life story right now as I have 7 more hours of ocd rituals to get through, but if you would like to have more doubts in your mind of who I am,

1,) my
    family owns a private jet and has a combined net worth of around $25M
    2) of that net worth, I account for roughly 2M
    3) I am under the age of 21
    4) we are into the oil business

I have had a very askew and twisted life, let me assure you, I've seen and done everything A-Z from being gods little child to complete and utter hood goon. I've seen and done it
    All.

11. Pics or gtfo

12. #13 Joyetech, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    I'll gtfo until tomorrow :)
    I'll gladly pm YOU pics but this thread has been derailed enough. Don't take me for an ass with the captions attached to them as we've all worked
    extremely hard to get where we are

apologies For thread derail OP.

Carbon filtering will essentially be healthier for you, but there is really no need for one.

[​IMG]

13. I'm just blowing smoke up your ass :D I also apologize for the added thread derailment.

14. As one other said, did you put any water/enough water in the ash catcher? because otherwise its just acting as a big bowl and all the ash is sucking through

15. Maybe its possible that you're just pulling too hard and you end up pulling the ash from the ash catcher into the main chamber of your piece? I would try a lighter pull and maybe a little less water!

16. Sorry for the really slow delay on getting back to you. I was out of town for the night. Here is my piece. I was doing research and decided to put airsoft bb's in the base of my bong, and also in the ash catcher, hoping that would help. It did help a little bit, but ash is still getting through.

I can post more pics of my ash catcher w/o the bb's in it if that helps.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Okay, this might sound like a dumb question, but can i just put those little carbon filter balls inside of my ash catcher like i did with the air soft bb's? 

18. I dont think you can, I'm no expert so i cant explain why, but i thought you needed the special little thingy to contain it in so the carbon wont get wet! Dont hold me to this, because these really arent my area of expertise but i wanted to give you an answer since nobody else did yet

19. #20 Grow2dab., Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015

From trial and error for a daily drive you want a glass screen slide and stemless ash catcher. Never gets blocked and you could snap one after the other all day long and it won't get dirty or really need a water change. No extra drag either.

An ash catcher needs just enough water to catch the ash, a drop in perc needs a certain water level to function properly. Yeah it will catch the ash but it doesn't stay clean very long and adds drag.