asexual plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Randizl, May 3, 2006.

1. ok, sorry if i make bad posts, but i'm just trying to get used to this site, we all make bad posts at first so just bare with me..

ok, so my friend told me to put the plant in 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark and it will be asexual, being both male and female.. that doesn't really sound right to me. i just wanted somebody to clarify this to me

2. What your friend is saying is half-way true.
    It's a hermaphrodite plant.

12/12 is the light cycle we use to simulate "mating season" of your everyday MJ plant. if you put your plan on a 12/12 cycle too soon you could stress it into becoming a hermaphrodite because the plant thinks the season is ended and rushes to sexual maturity before its ready.

This is something I dont suggest you do. Let your plant veg for a few weeks, then put it on 12/12 until your ready to harvest.

3. your friend is a little confused. you, under normal circumstances, DO NOT want a hermaphrodite (asexual).

4. Randizl,
    If you plan to grow pot, I would not take any advice from this guy or any of your so called friends like him. He has no clue what he is talking about. If you want to grow pot, read up on all stages of growing (especially the beginning) here on Grass City and other searched sites. Start with the Stickies here. Don't worry about the Thread, that's what the board is here for. Good luck.

5. I thought asexual means without sex, no sexual characteristics, neither male nor female. That doesn't seem to fit the definition of hermie, which is both male and female.

I've never heard of MJ without any sex.

Regardless of what is right in all this wordplay, I agree that 12/12 triggers the plant's hormones to enter sexual maturity and that hermies have both male and female flowers and are undesirable.

6. Asexual reproduction: The creation offspring by a single parent, without the participation of sperm and egg.

A seahorse is asexual. I suppose a hermie plant could be asexual and the offspring would be a feminized seed if fertilizing another fully female plant so no... Asexual; does not exactly refer to marijane.