As technology improves, our privacy relinquishes?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Kamehameha, Jul 6, 2012.

1. What do you guys think? Every few days I keep reading about new technological advancements. In some ways its great, like cloning organs, and finding new cures or treatments to ailments. However, in the other hand, some of it disturbs me; cameras and trackers on every device, face identification, surveillance everywhere, ect. It just seems as if most of technology, especially the kind marketed, such as iphones, are destroying our privacy.

A century ago you could flee society, change your name, and never be found again. No with all the mandatory documentations as well as pictures, all that is needed is a snapshot of your face in order to lean all of you're information (SSN, place of birth, records, ect.)

I mean they just used a brain scanner, and had someone view the world through a robot from israel, when the robot was in france i believe.

So what's your point of view?

2. I'm not worried about privacy because it's already being exploited. Drones and IP watching and all that, it's very real.

I'm more worried about humanity itself. The more people depend on technology, the more social interaction goes down the drain. That is what Facebook is helping contribute, among other websites. It can be helpful, like Twitter can be, for quick news and all that. But still, social growth is being stunted.

When I went away for five days last week, upnorth to a campsite in which I had a phone for two of those days, it was an amazing feeling. Technology is great -- to an extent.

3. isnt it kind of inevitable? i mean all matter seems to coalesce into bigger and bigger structures/organisms, maybe we are just at that point where we start coming together and forming the next organism, maybe we all will become so inter connected that our planet becames an organism in and of itself and we become its respective cells

4. This is kind of what the Unabomber was talking about before he started sending out "hearty" letters to those whom it concerned; let's hope that due to the advanced technology the OP was born into he doesn't know how to send a primitive letter.

On the serious side, have you ever thought if we ever had privacy? Humans interact with one another, and at some point they will start gossiping; some of that will be rumors and some will be truths, but people will be talking about you BEHIND YOUR BACK. It will all be with good intentions ofcourse ... OR IS IT?

I just think this is a temporary case of paranoia; let's hope it was intentionally-induced.