Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

As legalization comes along in some states in coming years, do you think prices of bud will drop or go higher?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Blue Dreamer, Jan 24, 2015.

1. #1 Blue Dreamer, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    I ask this because legalization = more growers. Despite tax and everything like that, do you think prices will lower or go higher?

2. #2 bushsmokerkushsmoker, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    Well their money will be taxed from making money off weed, whereas dealers (illegal) don't get taxed so they don't have to put prices up to compensate for taxing...so I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

3. Well its all a matter of supply and demand im pretty sure. The more weed going around, the cheaper it will be. The more states that legalize dope, the lower the prices will be.

4. #4 The real spliff shady, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    You can't say dispite tax. tax counts as part of the price. In order for the street to survive it must and will always have better prices than legal weed. All the legal shops can do is match street prices and use the lure of lab testing and all that extra not needed bullshyt and maybe try n find ways to scare people or manipulate people into buying their weed instead of cheaper street weed that is about the same quality.

5. When companies start competing with each other the prices will drop. However the gov. could instate some health tax (like with cigarettes) with the intent to raise the price.

6. My thoughts too.

7. The price will drop eventually as competition increases between legal producers.

When it becomes legal federally and most states have a legal market the price will plummet as corporations take over.

As the difference in price between the legal and black market gets smaller most people will choose the legal market.

8. Well, regulation and taxation is going to cost something.  So prices aren't ever going to be rock bottom, but it's the difference between buying a case of pop that's exactly what it says it is whenever you feel like it and buying a bottle of Coca-Cola off some dude in a parking lot with the lid hammered back on.  I'm not saying one's better than the other (heirloom tomatoes are awesome, but you can't just find those everywhere), but one's definitely more convenient than the other.

9. Hopefully when corporations take over it becomes dank in 20 pack filterless joints or bags of roll your own and a dip/chew type. 5-10 bucks for twenty joints or 5 bucks for an ounce in a sack. And its all premium grade some staler than others

10. Holy shit dude... Considering how intoxicating cannabis is comparatively to tobacco, I could actually see that happening once the social stigma towards marijuana goes away. That's something I could actually see happening, but the downside is you wouldn't know what kind of weed you'd be buying unless each pack told you what strain it was, that'd be amazing!

11. I think the industry will be a lot like the alcohol industry, and the price of alcohol keeps on going up. Sure you'll have your massive corporations selling "the cheap stuff", but there'll be a lot of local growers who will specialize in thing or another and have a unique product that may cost a bit more, but will be better. Corporations strive for consistency and broad appeal that will appeal to the masses, where as small micro-breweries dare to take chances and release products that aren't the norm, products that have a niche market.

That being said, I doubt the price would go down much. The government knows how much we're willing to pay for weed and they'll adjust the tax rate to keep it at that price or higher.

12. on the other hand dealers can also set their price as high as they want because there are no regulations, but those are only the bad dealers

13. #13 Ganja ☤, Jan 25, 2015
    Prices will initially spike and then drop. We will be paying for the tax mostly. Once it is fully legalized, and regulations become less intense growing will be dirt cheap, and the prices will reflect.

14. I don't think cannabis will ever be as cheap as tobacco. Growing cannabis is much more labor intensive, and more intoxicating. But I like the idea of Canna-Dip if they can figure out how to make it taste good.

15. Why do you need canna-dip when you have various edibles.

16. I wouldn't say growing weed is more labor intensive. There are automated growing systems now that requires the grower to barely lift a finger. Compared to tobacco where farmers have to maintain acres of tobacco plants. The cost of all the chemicals they spray on tobacco. The amount of cultivating equipment, like crop planes, that costs tons of money and requires a lot of people to operate.

17. #17 KrunksGroove, Jan 25, 2015
    I just like the idea. No reason not to have canna-dip. And I'm sure dippers would appreciate it.

18. #18 RedEyeCEO, Jan 25, 2015
    Yes but i hope it doesn't drop to low. It still has value. I would hope that even if it's legal in all 50 states that it wouldn't be too cheap.
    Because this is America...

19. But then people will go to dispensaries instead of the dealer if the dealers prices are stupidly high :)

20. Yeah, the dealers would go out of business but I don't think every dealer would make their prices that high.