artificially inducing flowering..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by stonerish, Jan 13, 2009.

1. outdoors... is it possible...

im thinking a 2 step proces...

1. flowering hormones... you know the kind

2. i set up a barrier that allows the plants to get only 6 hours of light (in july in Florida) and shades them for the rest of the day.

it would be simple to do i would think seeing as the sun goes predicatbly east/west right...

would the ambient light ruin my efforts?

has it ever been tried?

i want my plants to flower in july outdoors in florida (they will have had enough veg time as they are going in within 3 weeks of today)

2. bump for knowledge.... this is the only place with enough knowledge of this topic to give me relevant advice and ideas...

3. dark means dark. if they get light, they wont flower. where did you get the 6hr figure? and also, what flowering hormones? i dont know the kind...

if you are putting them in in 3 weeks, they will most likely flower on their own and finish in april

4. first of all... they wont flower by april on their own, because the light doesnt change down here until about august.... no light change... no flower....

and 6 hrs because i figured that would force flower and cancel the effects of incoming ambient light that i cant trap

5. #5 Mr. Stinky, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    well, looks like you got it figured out then?

you need to do some readin on the subject. cuz what you think you know, aint so.:cool:

6. im pointing out your erroneous assumption, please research before you post your conjecture in my thread

anyone with actual experience (or at least basic knowledge of marijuana's life cycle [which seems to be lacking in the only replier]?)

7. #7 Mr. Stinky, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    ya.... anyone???

since u call me a moron, you can find out for yourself. i suggest you start by checkin your mile high ego, and reading the current threads by your fellow florida growers who are growing now. then you might look up a day length chart for your latitude. (its 26N, but im sure you already knew that)

8. I'm not an indoors dude so bare with me. If I understand correctly, you want to start them in February indoors and take them out in July in a set up where they will only get 6 hours of direct sun light? Once outside, giving them 6 hours or 8 hours of direct sun will not change the moment they start flowering. It will always be at the beg. of August (here). 8 hours will get you more bud and require a little more water.
    You can artificially flower them outside if you cover them up totally in the dark every day to reduce the light cycle (but it's impossible in the wild! only in your yard). That means waking up very early to take the box off and covering it every late afternoon!
    You can veg and start flowering them inside so when you take them out they continue flowering, so you're ahead of time. Or you can grow an early potent strain indoors and then outdoors naturally. :)

9. sorry, forgot to mention the beginiing... i plan to start them outdoors from seed in ground with good soil mix in 25 gallon holes... they are going outside in febuary, meaning they will get enough light to start vegging, and as the year progresses, they will get enough to explode up to their full potential (malawi gold, white widow, alaskan ice, blueberry, power skunk and some others)... i want them done outdoors by august...

10. Maybe Oldskool 1010 from Floerida can help you out. Putting them outside earlier will not make them flower earlier (unless flowering triggered indoors or you cover them up every day or you use autoflowering beans). Normal seeds grown outdoors will all flower about the same time, about 2-3 months before the cold fall days settle in. :wave:

11. from my understanding you what you have to do is start them indoors at 18h and when your ready to flower put them outside.. i personally have never done this but i have red about it.. i guess since the drastic change in light they flower

12. What you are doing will not work.

You can artificially flower plants outdoors but it takes someone who really knows what they are doing and really no other constraints. They can not have a shortage of funds, problems getting things to and from the plot and there can be no security issues.

Growing outdoors almost always provides at least one of those issues.

I do not suggest trying it. You are going to ruin your plants and waste your time.

13. But if nobody has done what you are proposing......

14. That's not necessarily so. reducing the amount of direct light while still allowing ambient light will only result in loose leafy buds...IMO.

I flower and harvest every 3 months or so...even through summer but I veg my plants until mature in my growbox under 18 hrs. light and then flower outside. Down here in S. Florida the longest day is just over 14 hrs. so the difference in light is what makes my plants flower.

15. this is interesting... could i attempt my idea but allow them 9 to 10 hours of direct sunlight? (or whatever would be 3/4 hours less than the maximun average sun exposure)

16. Mind this is just a theory of mine...that just happens to work fairly well. The summer buds are still much looser and have a higher leaf to bud ratio.

Remind me how you intend to create the dark period.

17. setting up some opaque material around the plant from the angle of the sun at the 9 hour (or selected hour) mark... shields base to top

18. I don't know...you're blazing new trail there.