Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Article on Cannabis and Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by friedricey, Aug 14, 2011.

1. I think its a bunch of bullshit

2. they asked a bunch of schizo people if they smoked pot...some said yes, so thus pot caused it....

those same people reported that they have used dihydrogen-monoxide since they can remember....so thus, dihydrogen-monoxide caused it too...MOF the stuff is the rot cause of so many bad things it's silly..

• Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    • Contributes to soil erosion.
    • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    • Child molesters report using it often.
    • More people die from exposure to this dreaded substance each year than have ever died from hemp products in recorded history.

Call your congressman today, get people aware of this evil substance...:p

3. I've got to say, this isn't news to me. There have been studies on this before. That's not to say that "hey you smoke pot, lols you're gonna become schizophrenic." It does however increase the risk of developing schizophrenia when used while the brain is still developing particularly those with a genetic predisposition towards the disease. Is this something people need to know? If they have a personal or family history of the disease, yes. Will I stop smoking pot? Fuck no I won't. No history of schizophrenia in my family, so I'm straight.

4. The article also lists alcohol as a cause of schizophrenia, yet they don't seem to be making any attempt to illegalise that. I wouldn't take it too seriously

5. Kinda funny. Most schizophrenics use tobacco products. Researchers conclude that it has some benefit to them...hmmm... I wonder why they didn't conclude it caused their schizophrenia ?

6. [​IMG]

7. #8 Storm Crow, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    In England, they have had a big "to-do" about "skunk" strains causing schizhophrenia. Someone looked at the numbers and did a little math....:rolleyes:

If cannabis caused schizophrenia-how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations.
    (abst - 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]Unbound MEDLINE | If cannabis caused schizophrenia--how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations. PubMed Journal article

And with the constant rise in cannabis use, wouldn't there be an equal rise in schizophrenia? Where is it? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] Science: The development of the number of new schizophrenia cases in the UK does not support the hypothesis that cannabis use increases schizophrenia risk (news – 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=299#2[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Somewhere along the line, some bright boy thought to actually ASK the schizophrenics what THEY thought! :eek:

[/FONT] Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia (full - 2010)
    [FONT=&quot]Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia[/FONT]

The effects of cannabis abuse on the symptoms of schizophrenia: patient perspectives.
    (abst – 2008) The effects of cannabis abuse on the symptoms of s... [Int J Ment Health Nurs. 2008] - PubMed result

And....

Cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia (news - 2006)
    Cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia -Schizophrenia News-

No Increased Schizophrenia Risk With Use Of Cannabis (news - 2006)
    No Increased Schizophrenia Risk With Use Of Cannabis: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]

Cannabis is a First-Line Treatment for Childhood Mental Disorders (news - 2006)
    Dr. Tod Mikuriya: Cannabis as a Frontline Treatment for Childhood Mental Disorders

Reefer Madness Refuted (letter - 2007) Recent letters

Schizophrenia link to cannabis denied (news - 2009)
    This is Staffordshire | Study rebuffs mental illness link with cannabis| Research set to re-open debate on legalisation

New study suggests minimal relationship between cannabis and schizophrenia or psychosis (news – 2009) New study suggests minimal relationship between cannabis and schizophrenia or psychosis

THC can improve symptoms of schizophrenia (news – 2009)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Debunking the Myth of a Link Between Marijuana and Mental Illness (news – 2011)
    Debunking the Myth of a Link Between Marijuana and Mental Illness | Drugs | AlterNet

Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill (news - 2005)
    Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug. (full - 2006)
    Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research - Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug

Finally, cannabis seems to help schizophrenics function a bit better! :hello:

The role of cannabis in cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia.
    (abst - 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]Unbound MEDLINE | The role of cannabis in cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia. PubMed Journal article abstract

And frankly, I'd trust what the schizophrenics say, crazy as they are! It is THEIR brains and they know them better than the doctors do!

Granny :wave:
    [/FONT]

8. Me too or otherwise the government or any anti-pot groups would be all over it.

Sorry, I'm not quite getting your drift.

Thank you so much Granny!

9. #10 cball, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011

They found a correlation, not a causation..that's the drift...same with DHMO (h2o, aka, water) all mental patients use it, so based on correlation, water caused their problems as much as mj...;)

to the blade posting the crap about using mj in a developing mind increasing risk...no scientific study was ever done, that's pure propaganda...please give a link/reference to the scientific study that provided you with such info.:rolleyes:

10. When they can slap a LD50 rating on weed I'll start listening :p
    For those that don't know, the LD50 is when they measure the "lethal dose" of a substance, basically finding out how much it takes to kill test animals ect.
    Weeds LD50 is so ridiculous, you'd have to smoke about 1500lbs in 15mins to MAYBE die..
    Now I realise that you can become schizophrenic, and doesn't meant you are going to die, but I think you'll find that because they can't slap any danger value on it that way, they use psychological dangers which are alot harder to prove wrong.
    I'm bareeee stoned so sorry if don't make sense but thats my view :)
    ..TrueStoner..

11. From what I read and understand cannabis cannot cause schizophrenia or the likes of any mental illness. It may (a very small probability) however accelerate such illnesses.

12. No study was ever done showing causation...ever, not once...

you can't prove a negative...

"prove mj doesn't cause pedophilia"
    "prove mj doesn't cause sociopath behavior"
    "prove mj doesn't cause mass murders to kill"

here's a good one, prove mj isn't responsible for 9/11...go on, prove it...:p

Instead of people spouting off propaganda from DC...how about they do a true scientific study, DOUBLE BLIND, to prove it does cause anything other then relief from symptoms of multiple ailments?

13. I just crunched some numbers and I concluded that drunk people are 1234.56% more obnoxious than people high off weed alone.

14. cball for president more like

15. #16 Born2BeHigh, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Like legalisation? :)

..TrueStoner..

16. I wasn't agreeing that weed CAUSES it, but in those that have a history of the mental illness in question there does appear to be a correlation. I find it funny how we, as smokers, say that anything anti weed is propaganda and get on our soap boxes. I think it's a bit hypocritical. In immediately dismissing ANY info that may give some negative aspects to pot use are we really better than the ignorant fucks who refuse to hear the things that we have to say in support of marijuana use? I'd say about 99% of anti-weed stuff is indeed biased and unresearched bullshit, but that doesn't mean all of it can immediately be dismissed with a "pfft, what a bunch of bullshit. Those ignorant anti-pot fucks don't know what they're talking about."

Who knows? Maybe some of it is true. Just because something has negatives doesn't mean it should be illegal. Hell, even things as absurd as stuffed animals have "risks" when put into the hands of infants (choking hazards, toxic materials, etc). It doesn't mean stuffed animals are evil, nor should they be illegal.

So what if pot does have a correlation? Why does everyone feel the need to be so threatened by this? Is it going to stop you or I from smoking? Fuck no it's not. Even the best things in the world have negatives associated with them, why would pot be any different?

17. You keep falling back on the idea that DC/anti-pot-brigade is somehow onto something...when neither has ever let a true study be performed...and ommit any reports that contradict what they want as the final result...aka, they want fuel for the propaganda machine, not results of real scientific studies.

people are saying "do a true study", publish ALL the reports...
    LaGuadia report...tossed in the shit can
    Nixon did the same when he got a report showing pot was not only harmless, but seemed to have medical qualities...
    Having the mind set to trust that DC knows best is what has led to this sad circumstance today...stop trusting what DC says about science, any science.

18. Thankyou Granny!!