Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Artichoke and Canna-Butter?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Masonsmokes, Aug 10, 2011.

1. #1 Masonsmokes, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
    So I was inspired to try something: While eating at this small town restaurant last night, one of the appetizers we got was steamed Artichoke, and it came with sides of melted butter to dip the the vegetable leaves in.
    After falling in love with the semi healthy snack, I have decided to pick up 3 artichokes, and an extra 1/4 for the butter tonight. I plan on making enough butter for me and my parents (they are smokers, yes) I don't need help with the butter since I make it quite often, but on the contrary. Artichokes, any tips? Preparing, best method of cooking, ect. I know there are some pretty amazing chefs here in the Edible forum. I'd like to extend past google and get a more unique and flavorful dish.

Let me know,

2. Being from Cali, where artichokes are grown, I've had them plenty of times, and we would always boil them in water, and let them sit until they are semi-soft. It does take about 30-45 minutes, but they come out great, and they are delicious. You'll love it.

3. my mom used to make artichokes for us almost every other night..SOOO good with mayo. you could probably make canna-mayo.

4. Buy baby artichokes or smaller adult artichokes as they tend to not be as tough. Steam them as opposed to boiling them IMO. Deep green vegetables have a tendency to produce undesired flavors and odors when cooked in a harsh manner, depending on the size any where from 20 minutes to half an hour in a steamer turn the heat off leave the lid on for 10 minutes should come out perfect. Also when you get to the center of the artichoke there's what's called the "heart", it is filled with tons of little spiny hairs that will irratate the hell out of your throat (hence the choke) if you remove the hairs and peel the stem this entire part can be eaten as well.

5. My family has been making Stuffed Artichokes for as long as I can remember :) Besides the little cheese and bread it's a fairly healthy meal, or side dish. Artichokes are a very good source of Vitamin B6, Iron and Phosphorus, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, Fiber, Copper and Manganese.

-Italian Canna Stuffed Artichokes-

You will need:

- 3 artichokes
    - 2 Tbsp canna oil of desired strength, made with olive or coconut oil
    - 1 Tbsp Olive oil
    - 3/4 cup bread cubes (either your favorite croutons, or cubed italian bread)
    - 2 tsp crushed garlic
    - 1 Tbsp minced parsley
    - 3 Tbsp romano & parmesan cheese, grated
    - 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    - 1/4 tsp pepper
    - 1/4 tsp salt, or salt to taste
    - 2 tsp lemon juice, or one small squeezed lemon

With a pair of kitchen scissors, or a sharp knife, cut the tips off the artichoke leaves, remove stems and prickly choke, rinse under the tap, then give a final dip in a bowl of lemon water, using 1 tsp to two cups, to prevent browning. Save lemon water.
    Remove from water, and pat dry. Smack the top of each cut artichoke with the back of a large wooden spoon, or give the top a thunk on the counter to spread the leaves, for stuffing.

Pre-heat oven, to 380 f.

Place them upright, tightly in a casserole dish, boil the lemon water and (after boiling) add the additional teaspoon of lemon juice, pour into casserole dish covering your artichokes less than half way, to half steam/blanch them for 20 minutes.

Prepare a large mixing bowl full of ice water, remove artichokes from heat and carefully drop each one in the ice water to halt cooking. Pat each dry with a fresh clean towel.

Mix your bread, cheese, garlic, parsley, oregano, 2 tablespoons canna oil, salt and pepper. Toss and blend very well, then divide into thirds.

Take each third, and stuff it gently between the leaves of your artichokes, one by one. Take your stuffed artichokes and pack them close together in a large/deep casserole dish. Add just under 2 inches of boiling water, to the exposed base surrounding your artichokes, and a Tbsp of olive oil.

Cover with foil, or casserole lid.

Place in oven for 40 minutes. When your timer goes off, remove lid, increase oven temps to 420 f, and continue to bake for about 15 minutes until breading is lightly golden, and leaves are tender and pull out easily.

Serve, and enjoy :)

note - Many people simply immediately stuff the raw artichokes (after cutting, removing the tough/inedible bits and rinsing) and just cook them for a bit longer all at once.
    If that sounds easier it's certainly a valid method and you can just do that, but many people prefer the flavor and texture of the artichoke, and the breading, if the cooking process is split up.

And finally, you can always just sprinkle lemon juice water over the top of cut artichokes placed in a casserole dish, fill with a little over an inch of boiling water, and then sprinkle the tops with any of the above mentioned seasonings, and cheese, then steam your artichokes for 45 minutes to an hour at 400 f, for dipping in -garlic & herb canna oil-.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Thanks kitty! I don't know why I didn't just post on your massive edible forum and ask. I am more than likely your biggest follower of your recipes. My favorite byfar is that damn potato Salad recipe you have. With or without cannabutter. Props on that recipe.

Anyways. I am going to the store to give this a shot tonight.

Will let you know how it all turns out!

Thanks again.

7. And I plan on using Lemon Extract made into Green Dragon with 2G's of Hash.

I'm gunna mix some with regular lemon juice and sprinkle like you said. Thanks again