arrogance

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dantheman52, May 14, 2011.

1. the "american dream": wife, kids, house, cushy job, etc etc. why is it that when people attain these things they think they've somehow completed their journey? i know this goes right back to materialism, but that's not really what i'm getting at. people are far too busy with maintaining the "american dream" that they leave themselves no time to think. no one ever thinks anymore. we are told what to eat, what to do, what to wear, what to desire.

i'm 20 years old and i've already accepted that my journey will never truly end. the only possible end i can see is the day i die, and even then, i can't say for sure it will end then. i think the reason america has such a difficult time compromising and understanding differences is because everyone thinks, without a shadow of a doubt, that their opinions are correct. they leave no room for conversation and intellectual development. when is it that we decide that our experiences no longer turn into knowledge and improvement? when is it that we stop admitting that we're wrong?

and don't get me started on the government. the general american population has enough problems; this, compounded with our government, is enough for me to just about give up hope for our country. i don't consider myself a pessimist, i just can't see how our society is going to change.

i didn't intend for this to turn into a rant. i'd love to get a discussion going if anyone is interested.

2. Believe it or not, the world is making great strides in this regard. However, we are still stuck in a mode where we tend to only see the negative things, such as arrogance, and that is all people tend to notice and talk about. I agree though, far too many people are believers that their way is "the" way, however, it is becoming more subtle, and I sincerely believe we are reaching a breaking point where we are going to see things get much better very quickly.

3. i also think we're reaching a breaking point. i still haven't decided whether or not it will result in good changes or bad changes, or maybe both, but i think change is inevitable and will come soon. and yes, it's unfortunate that myself and many others tend to focus on negativity, but i think the negative is much more pressing, apparent, and from what i've seen, more widespread than the positive.

4. I have found that positivity is the most powerful weapon against negativity, if you can truly embody it. When light and darkness meet, it is the light that prevails. With negativity, we go it alone. With positivity, we are all together, and thus more powerful.

5. i like that. we can be isolated in our hatred or united with our love.