arrested!! need help!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by grimbigbuks, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hay guys i was recently arrested in vermont for possession of marijuana. The officers were very nice and i thought that i was just going to get a fine, because thats what the officer said he did not mention any type of jail time. Then i went to go look online for what hte fine would probobly be and saw that it is also punishable by up to 6 months in prison! i can not go to prison right now and want to know if you automatically go to prison or if there is like some people that dont go or something im freaking out please help

2. Vermont is a medical marijuana state and 6 months + a fine is the maximum punishment. You may get a fine and probation, no prison term.

3. If you're a first time offender then I wouldn't even worry in the slightest. If you're not a first time offender I still wouldn't worry because you don't seem like a dealer with that amount. Talk to a lawyer that gives free consultations so you'll have sound advice and a legal game plan. You might be better off with a public defender, money-wise, but get your own lawyer if you can afford one.

4. thanks a lot you guys rlly made me way calmer, its my first time offence and i only had like a quarter of weed the cops were rlly nice cause we cooperated cause they brought the dog down, they confinscated a mini bong, a 1 hitter a bowl from my freinds and my grinder and they let off the driver completely even tho he was the one responsable for everything but my weed nd my grinder

5. any other opinions?

6. #6 Klao, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    The real keywords you need to look out for, in the wording of the law, are "mandatory," or "minimum." Those are words to fear, and words to hate. In terms of sentencing, this would mean that a judge, even a very rational and understanding one, would have no choice but to send you to jail for a specified minimum amount of time.

If the language of the laws merely say "up to six months" or something like, "between 0 - 180 days jail time," then it's up to the discretion of the judge. It doesn't mean that your chances of not getting a complete and total, puritan fascist is zero .... but then again, given that it's a first offense, you have a good chance of getting a judge with the capacity for rational, independent though, and avoiding jail. Especially if Vermont is one of those states that's leaning towards a less and less hysterical direction when it comes to mere weed.

I'd do a little research, to find out what's actually a typical sentence in your area.

Get a lawyer, which will help you minimize any punishment, and can help you know what to expect.