Arrested last night, need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by hOoLiGaN xD, Jan 17, 2010.

1. #1 hOoLiGaN xD, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
    What's up GC,

first off please forgive me if the language doesn't make sense or my sentences run onto themselves. I have been up all night long and I'm very on edge right now.

At 4am, two cops came knocking on my door (college dorm). They confirmed I was actually who I said I was, then proceeded to tell me a k9 unit smelled narcotics on my car and wanted to know if I consented to a search. I told them no I refuse all searches and they would need to get a warrant. The officer said he would obtain a warrant and the car would be locked down until that time, and am I ok with this? I told him I refuse all searches again and he walked out.

Now, copper number one starts asking me a bunch of questions. How much have you had to drink tonight, etc etc. He walks me out to his car and has me sit in the back while he continues to ask question. He makes me take a breathalizer and I blew a 0.04, which he then proceeded to write me a minor consumption ticket. After this ordeal, the cop let me go.

So at this point I start freaking out. I walked out to the garage and sure enough they had a cop sitting there next to my car waiting. I called my friend on the phone to try and get some advice, or at least have someone to talk to.

I began to stroll my dorm on the phone, and was walking in the hallway when two cops came up the stairs and began knocking on the door again. I walked up to them and told them I was so-and-so and they quickly cuffed me and took me outside.

After refusing to answer any questions and choosing not to be a narc I was transferred to the jail. Once booked and processed I immediately paid my 505$ bail. I need to call the sheriff's department because they told me to leave without giving me physical copies of the tickets, and I don't have the court date either.

However, I am looking at a felony possession charge, dealing, and paraphernalia. I had 50g of weed, grinder, two pipes, and scale. I am going to go check my car out to see if they did in fact find EVERYTHING, just to see how fucked I am.

This is my first criminal offense though, and I need some serious legal advice. I will definitely get an attorney, but I'd really like some advice now on whether or not I will be looking at jail time. I've heard you can get off on probation a lot of times on your first felony, but I'm worried the combo with dealing is going to fuck me hard.

Prayers, advice, and good vibes please GC, I love you guys!

2. Say the weed was for your consumption, and you had so much weed because you were saving that to smoke with a group of friends you hadn't met in a while. If it's for personal consumption its only a misdemeanor, A felony will fuck up your life, avoid it.

3. Indiana law states that more than 30g is a felony.

4. most likely probation or something along those lines

Get a Lawyer.

5. u could of just went and got in your car and drove off put all the shit in a bag and then put it in your house

6. WTF were you thinking keeping all that shit in your car?

When I lived in the dorms the RA was very clear in telling us that the police, from time to time, do drug sweeps through the parking lots with k-9s. It also stated such in the student handbook.

Lesson learned, and good luck.

7. Get a lawyer and have it all tossed out.

k9 had to go into a building to get to your car, they did not have a warrant to do so and were trespassing illegally, so the k9 sniffer does not have admissible 'evidence' for any probable cause for a warrant to search the car contained within said building...:D

You should have stayed in your room, but since you walked outside, they then could charge you with a drinking offense...might get that tossed seeing how you would not have gone outside to start with if they hadn't infringed on private property with a k9 unit...cause/effect...

8. Uh no. He lives in the dorms. He has no rights against k-9 sniffing. I'm positive if he goes back and reads his housing contract he will notice that it says that.

9. "First Offenders program". Look it up.

10. Please read the post completely before replying. Thank you for tip on first offenders program, I will look into it more.

Can anyone tell me their experience with their first felony drug charge. PLEASE, real first time offenders offer advice!!! I beg you :(

11. It's called "college." It's public property, bud.

12. welll you could try to dodge the intent to sell by sayin that you just use the scale to make sure people dont rip you off....thats what i said when i got pulled over and they actually believed it...then again i only had a half oz on me, not 2 ounces..but try it anyway man

13. Again thanks for all the replies, but I'd love some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation with a first time drug felony!!!!

//edit: Also, a quick update. I went out to my car a bit ago and my scale was still there. It looked like they did a pretty thorough search though, so I think they saw it. But, if they didn't confiscate it can they still use it as evidence in court? (I threw it in the trash now lol a 20$ scale ain't worth my future)

14. obviously the dogs werent walking the parking lot for fun, someone tipped off the cops

15. No, it is not public... a city/county/state street/highway/road is public, a parking garage is a private building. :rolleyes:

16. dammit hooligan why were they on u in the first place?

17. w/e you're trying to say it doesn't matter. It's the school's parking lot and they can search it as much as they want.

@ OP

You're probably fucked. Leaving your drugs in your car was one of the dumbest things you could have done. If you manage to get off with just probation you're still getting kicked out of dorms, but I don't think they'll kick you out of your program.

18. If you smoke your friends up thats not possesion with intent to distribute, its possesion and distributing. As soon as you pass a joint to the left you a dealer in the laws eyes

19. yea, intent to distribute is on the same level as either selling it or just smoking it with your friends - dont say that

20. And yet you're still absolutely wrong.

Just like you have no rights while you're in public school against unlawful searches and seizures, you have no rights while you are living in a campus' dorm rooms.

Had he read the housing contract before he signed it, he would have known this.

I suggest you do the same if you're ever living in the dorms of a college, since you evidently know very little about the laws governing such matters.

And just so you know...campuses are PUBLIC property. Everything on them...including parking garages.