Army Reserves

Discussion in 'General' started by Viral Frog, Aug 2, 2011.

1. #21 Verdurous, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You didn't understand what I was saying apparently... He's not signing an active duty contract, he just wants to be in the reserves. I would assume two different contracts could have different eligibility even though it's the same branch of military, especially considering that's what the OP implied. lol If they were exactly the same thing/requirements why would there be any question?

2. #22 Viral Frog, Aug 3, 2011
    They're only the same sense in the fact that they're both branches of the Army.

Active duty requires one semester of full time college credits to enlist with a GED, the reserves don't. However, they can only recruit a certain number of people into the reserves with a GED (and no extra schooling) before they close it to them, yet again.

The reserves do two weeks of training, then whatever job training, then one weekend a month after that.
    Active duty gets training, job training, and usually have to go on tour (as we call it here, not sure if that's just a Utah thing, though).

They work 365 days a year (excluding leave and paid time off), until the end of their active duty.
    Both branches have an 8 year agreement. Meaning you sign to be active for x (for active duty it's 3, 4, 6 and reserves is 6) years, and up until the 8 year point they can be called back to duty for whatever reason.

I can sign up for the reserves, get health (free during training, $45 a month after) and dental insurance, and have my tuition paid. So then I could go to college, and if I felt like re-enlisting in active duty, I could.

^Please correct me if I got any of that wrong. The recruiter threw out a lot of information and some of it may not have registered properly.

3. It's all right. Why can't you just get hs diploma? Also each you'd have to go too bootcamp.then your ait. Then you'd go.back home. You also would need to get a real job still. Its just good to do for help

4. #24 Viral Frog, Aug 4, 2011
    I got my GED after they changed it to the Utah High School Completion Diploma. Can't go back and do adult ed. now. :/
    I had 3 years worth of credits to make up, anyway.
    I didn't make the best decisions as a teenager.

5. #25 Ftsk515, Aug 4, 2011
    Ohh I see your best hope is trying to bbecome army normal 6 months into ur service