armageddon

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Pretender, Jan 14, 2003.

1. what do you guys think? a lot of people believe armageddon will come in the year 2012, it wont be too long before we wake up and the world is gone.

2. Armageddon comes if Bush want's it to come.

3. hey! hell yeah!! I saw that movie!! liv is cuuute!

4. Humans created religion to explain things, somewhere down the line it became the mass ideology and only right one, religion explained scienece etc. vatican scientists refused to look trough galieos scope, they refused to admid that earth wasn't the center of the universe, darvinism was a crime, people who did "magig" tricks were witches, people who didn't eat pork were wiches, people who were said to be witches were witches, and what do you do with a witch? first you'll make it confess, this will take some violent actions but everything is justified if it's done for god, after the confess you'll burn the witch......

5. i'd like to point out that most of that was done by the catholic church centuries ago... and i'd also like to point out that NO ONE is perfect! the pope commanded it to be done, so it was done...

if humans created religion to explain things, how come there's stories in regions of the world that were totally isolated from Christianity, but yet they still have stories that parallel stories in the Bible? for example, noah's ark... it's a well known Bible story, but yet there were these clay tablets found in ancient syria which contain a story that parallels the story of the great flood. also, there's a theory that was developed by the pentagon which supports the noah's ark story, which explains quite a bit of otherwise unexplainable things.

6. lol, i got all off topic. according to the Bible, the battle of armageddon will occur after the 7 year tribulation period (which will happen after the rapture). after God's raptured His church, poured out his judgement on the earth, and the earth has chosen sides (either God or Satan), the two sides will meet in the battle of armageddon. God will win of course, then Jesus will set up his mellenial reign on earth while Satan's trapped in the bottomless pit. after the thousand years Satan will be released to once again tempt the nations... but this is only for a short while. after this, heaven and earth will be destroyed and a new earth will be made. death and hell (including Satan and all his followers) will be cast into the lake of fire, and time will cease to exist.

7. where did u hear that? from those Left Behind books?

8. Yes and who's side are you on and who decides it? yes there's stuff in the bible that are true, like the destruction of Sodomma and Gomorrah, but they're told in methaphors. I don't believe it so that must mean I'm on the satans team then, and if free thinking is a sin then I'm glad to be a sinner, Catholic church has done so horrifid things in the name of god and there has been so many "holy wars" in the face of this planet that religion should be named a crime.

9. ok, to answer both of your posts... for dazed... i did read the left behind series, but i also read Revelation in the Bible, which is what the Left Behind books are based on. the King James Version of the Bible itself (without going into any specific denomination) is the closest possible match to the original text of the Bible (which contains no legitimate flaws (contradictions) by the way)... in other books throughout the Bible a lot of prophecy is written about what the world will be lie in the end times. most of this prophecy is either in the process of coming true, or has already happened. this makes a lot of people wonder if whether or not we're living in the end times or not (i can give you many referrences in the Bible to show that we most likely are). also, keep in mind, the Bible was finished being written nearly 2,000 years ago, and contains no errors (if you think you can prove me wrong, please, try to do so... but ya gotta give me a chance to explain any "contradictions"you might find).

as for ubik's post... satan is a real entity. he's not just something your mom and dad made up to scare you. i've felt the presense of pure evil before, i can also tell you of things i've seen - that had you seen 'em there'd be no doubt in your mind that the Bible is true. i'm not just some religions maniac... i've seen sooo much proof that the Bible is true that it's impossible for me not to believe. i'm not one of those people who will just believe anything that anyone is telling them. i've done the research, i've seen the proof, and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that i'm believing in the right thing.

as for when the end times come, everyone on earth will see such great things that there will be no doubt in their mind as to whether or not the Bible is right. they will choose sides. unfortunately people are weak and will choose the easier way out... and the easier way will be believing Satan to be God. this has all been prophecied thousands of years ago.... and the things are actually starting to happen. lol. i'm ranting on and on, but forgive me, i'm really stoned. i'm sorry this is so long, but i just thought i'd get the facts out about the Bible and what it says about the end times.

10. Well if you believe so strongly then I have no right to go and start telling otherwise but to me bible religion etc. is just.... well nothing, I have no need to believe it, I have no urge to go in there. I just don't understand how some people are so tight about that stuff "it's like the good book says and that's it" well it may be enough for some people but I see christianity, Islam, Moonism, etc. as a limitation and a source of unbelievable stupidity, it's religion it shouldn't have anything to do with scienece or politics, "you say that something called bacteria is causing this mans pains? what heresy it's because he has been sinfull and god punishes him, ten ave marias should do it".

11. hmm...just out of curiosity..give a couple examples cottons..

im tired, ill post more on this later tho.

12. there was this one time at my old sunday school. a friend of mine came in and mentioned she had a prayer request. one of her good friends had this condition where there was something wrong with her brain... up until then her meds were working fine, but over time the meds stopped working all together... her doctors said there was nothing more they could do, and that she had 3 months at the longest to live... that was it, there was no chance what-so-ever of them being able to stop her condition from killing her.

so we prayed for her every sunday for a few weeks... after a couple weeks the girl came in and was like "remember my friend we've been praying for?" of course we did... she then went on to say that the doctors couldn't find a single trace of the brain condition... it was like she never had it to begin with.

there's another case similar to this with my old pastor's dad... he was dying of cancer... had it all over inside his body. no chance of survival. with some prayer, it was gone. not a single trace.

yet another case. a guy in the church i go to now had blood clots in various places and was told by the doctors that surgery could only possibly prolong his life... but the operation would more than likely kill him... so he decided (after prayer of course) to undergo the operation. when the doctors opened him up, all the clots where nowhere to be found.

i could go on about the changed lives i've seen, what God's done for me personally, what He's done for my friends... but i wouldn't want to make a 20+ page post, lol.

13. true, amazing stuff....but i was talkin about examples of the prophecies that are starting to happen

also..what i started to talk about last night, but opted for bed instead, even though i wound up laying in bed for 2+ hours

when it comes to spirituality, religion, any type of personal convictions about a higher being, i dont think that there is a right and wrong, i think that as long as you are true to what you believe in, be it God, Allah, Buddha, or Fred Flinstone and that you believe it is right, then your on the right path. And why i say this is because there are so many different religions, you believe in one, you go to hell because you dont believe in the other, and vice versa. I personally believe there is SOMETHING there, as ive said before, that indescribable entity that i feel in my heart, and thats what i give thanks to every time i think about it or get a chance. there are so many people that go to church and pray just because its what they were taugh, and not because its what they truly believe, that spirituality has no meaning in their life. i dont think that god would want people to give thanks because its routine...so i opt not to go to church, i give thanks on my time, high, or sober, any time. i consider myself, not necessarily a religious person, but a spiritual person. ive 'tried' christianity, ive read up and researched all these other religions, and the path that ive chosen is the most comfortable and right for me. and as long as i stay true to that then i believe that if or when the end times come, then ill wind up on the good side of things:D

14. To me, religion is just man's very outdated explanation of what was going on around him. For example, a caveman feels an earthquake. He doesn't know anything about tectonic plates and whatnot, so he assumes there's a god in the earth who was awakened and started shaking the ground.

I don't believe in any supreme being. I don't believe Jesus "died for my sins." I don't think I'm one of God's children. To me, everybody on this earth is born, they live for a little while, they procreate, then die. That's all there is to it....

15. lol, norm... i read over that again and figured that's what you were probably talking about...

here's some prophecy from Matthew 28. It's a bit long, but it touches on some of the bigger prophecies... there are others (the formation of a 1 world church which is already in the process, a huge attack against israel that fails, a rise in power in the islamic nations, etc.).

"And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

And then shall many be offended and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another....

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold...

But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Then shall two be in the field, the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Two women shall be grinding at the mill, the one shall be taken, and the other left."

a quick note about the earthquakes... from the time records were kept in 1900, until 1998, there were, from 1900-1910: 3 measuring 6.0 or higher on the Richter Scale. from 1930-1940 there were 5, from 1970-1980 there were 56, from 1980-1989, there were 310, from 1990-1998 there were 731+.

about the famines and pestelences... a couple years back we had the worst el nino in recorded history which caused devastation across the globe unlike any that's ever been seen before.

it says the love of many will wax (grow) cold, and iniquity will abound... just watch the news. same thing with the wars and rumors of wars.

it says that it will be like in the days of Noe (Noah) right before the rapture. that just puts more emphasis on how bad things will be before the rapture happens (like they are now).

there's so much more i could go into, and even more than that is in the Bible as end times prophecy. a lot of people might be thinking "anyone could have guessed that those things will happen"... yeah... true... but all those things happening at the same times? along with all the other prophecies that are coming true, also happening at the same time? i think not.

16. bong, keep in mind, theres a difference in religion and spirituality...religion is indeed the explanation of things, but spirituality is the things that you feel that you cant explain, they are within you, not earthquakes or thunder and lightning.

cottons,
    holy shit

no pun intended.

not to mention there was an earthquake in mexico the other day..and a couple months back there was a bad one in alaska

17. kinda scary to see prophecies written nearly 2,000 years ago coming true. learning about the end times and such is actually one of the main things that 'caused me to dig into the Bible. once i saw that it was all written so long ago i kinda was like "hmm... i wonder if this thing really is the Word of God?"

18. aren't there loads of prophecies predicting the same sort of end of the world? Don't loads of other religions also predict the same sort of end of the world?

also just out of curiosity, cotton friend, what are your opinions on some of the Eastern religious/philosphical approaches such as Buddhism?

Maybe that's just a form of escapism i dunno... but then isn't every religion?

And why does everyone have to find salvation specifically in Jesus - it seems rather limiting that anyone should have to focus on a single individual in order to be on God's side. Did god make us in his image? If he did then surely each of us can search within and find the essence of God within ourselves (as it must lie in all that he created) through meditation perhaps - or introspection... i dunno? all a bit weird really don't you think?

What exactly is it that makes anyone Satan's follower rather than God's? It cannot be that one must study a book! What if i am always kind and loving to those around me? Does that make me eligible?

19. not to my knowledge, no. the Bible is very specific about the prophecies made about the end times. the ones i gave are just some of the more general ones. the Bible predicts (in Daniel) a massive assault launched on Israel by a great northern power (many believe this to be Russia), along with it's unknown eastern allies right before the rapture is to happen. we already know that Russia, and the Islamic mid-eastern countries don't like Israel... but so far we don't know of any alliances between them. i find it interesting how Russia always seems ready to side with the mid-east when the US threatens war. i take this as a sign of a possible alliance in the near future.

any religion that sets their focus on a person, who walked this earth, i look at like this... dig up his grave. what will you find? his bones. go look in Jesus' tomb... what's there? NOTHING. now, you're probably saying something along the lines of "someone could have taken' his bones... etc."... well, his tomb was well guarded after his death to prevent such a thing from happening... also, i find it funny how muhammad is seen as a prophet in Islam... yet throughout his entire life he never made a single prophecy. don't believe me, go read the koran...

yes... God made us in His image... meaning he gave us something He didn't give to the other creatures of the world... He gave us a spirit, and the ability to choose for ourselves who we want to follow. if you've read the Bible at all, you'll find that it doesn't ever contradict itself (if you think otherwise... prove it). now, for so many different writings to be put together, by so many different people, over so much time, and NOT contradict... it has to be the Word of God... because it's perfect. if man was the only being behind the writing of the Bible, and there was no inspiration from God, there'd be contradictions; because man isn't perfect, and therefore can't write something that is perfect... so if i have a flawless book that's telling me Jesus is the Son of God... i'm gonna believe it.

i assume you're talking about the end times??? during the tribulation period God will show such great wonders that no one will beable to deny him. people will actually rather choose a life of sin over worshiping the true God of heaven. Satan will also show wonders which will lead a lot of people to believe him to be God. if you're talking about now, being a follower of Satan are those who refuse to accept Jesus as the messiah... Satan's greatest accomplishment is that most people don't even believe he exists. he's not called the great deceiver for nothing. while not knowingly following Satan, most people do. they choose sin over righteousness, and therefore fall into Satan's snare.

so yeah... you can live a good life, be a good person, but compared to someone who's perfect (God) everyone, no matter how good they are, are still filthy rags. we could never measure up to something perfect... which is why Jesus was sent here. He bridged the separation between us and God caused by our inperfections. He did this by taking our place on the cross. He shed perfect, sinless blood (which was what they did back in old-testament times to atone for sins, by sacrificing a lamb) to once and for-all atone for the sins of man... all we have to do is trust that that's enough, and accept the gift of salvation.

20. just a quick note... some of you may not agree with what i'm saying... i understand this. all i ask is that you keep an open mind, and be respectful in your responses. anything i say regarding the Bible (ie. it not contradicting) i can back up...

if you have an opinion regarding something i say, i'll be more than happy to read it, and will show you the same respect i ask for.

none of this is meant to offend...

happy reading :D