Aren't we all just actually agnostic?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by infiniteawesome, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hey, this was something I posted in another thread, but as usual for me, I went on a huge tangent and thought it would make an interesting thread. It's based around the idea that in actuality, in regards to God, we actually all JUST DON'T KNOW! Here's my thinking/post from earlier:

I am a philosophically inclined atheist, who believes that if there is a God, he lies so far outside of human comprehension and understanding, that any attempt is so futile, we might as well put our spiritual efforts towards embettering our world and each other however we see fit, with one exception being that we should not murder, maim, slander or libel others that don't share our views.

My personal point of view on religion is that it is a necessary evil of being human. Being religious has existed since before civilization,though it most certainly did NOT resemble anything like the religions of our day, with our mass numbers of various kinds of believers. Religion was necessary to explain and to dramatize life and events; to elaborate on man's origins, and ultimately, what happens after death. It also gave resonance to early man's culture.

Today, religion is just as relevant, because from the religious man's point of view, through the embetterment of himself, as well as his community, he will find himself closer in line with whatever God's will is.

Of course, this is where everyone differs in opinion. After all, what is God's will? You can't know it, it's God! But so many people claim to know or have an understanding of what God's plan is for all of us. What God will tell His selected few to do. What is the purpose of humanity?

Truthfully, and tragically unhelpful though it may sound, the purpose of humanity is simply to be more human! Whatever that means!

And therefore, if to be human is to aspire to Godliness, then we simply have to find out who we are and how we can make a better us? To better human-kind as a whole and also to better ourselves in the process.

Keep in mind that all of this is still in line with an extremist religious terrorist's thinking. In the mind of a terrorist, everything he does is either for the good of all mankind or at least for the good of himself. Killing innocents is necessary because it's all part of God's plan.

To set that extreme attitude aside, however, and have a conversation about the possibility of there being a God or no God, is something I don't think either the extremely atheist or the extremely religious would consent to. At best they agree to disagree.

In private I'm an agnostic. The reason being is that truly, I believe everyone is actually agnostic, and just unable to admit it. Truly agnostic means just that, "YOU DON'T KNOW" To be agnostic in conversation is frustrating, because you have to defend a point of view that particularly adamant and usually annoying people MUST change. Either you're too stupid to realize that there just can't be a God, or you're too "lost" or too "selfish" to redeem yourself in the eyes of God.

That's why I just lean towards atheist in conversation, not because I believe there isn't a God, but rather because I just hate fucking religious institutions. NOT RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, a lot of people I like happen to be religious, but they don't flaunt it in my face or tell me I'm going to hell, because in all honesty very very few of them actually believe that. Like my favorite stand up comedian once said "You make your own faith."-Doug Stanhope

Religious institutions, however, should not be given tax breaks or be allowed to in any way monetarily or politically support any government official. State and religion ARE TO REMAIN SEPARATE. That shit is in the constitution and it is sadly disregarded today by a certain Evangelical group and a certain Republican Party...

Atheism has also had a sad track in China, whose Mao Tse Tung once said to the Dalai Lama that religion was "poison to the people." This was of course during the rise of Communism in China, and a breaking with their own past and religions was encouraged in Chinese society in that time, and the effects of that kind of extreme atheistic attitude combined with an overwhelming embrace of unregulated capitalism, has had dramatically negative effects on small sects of religion, where people of truly simple means and life are deprived of basic human rights and dignities simply because their religion was old or not right or not acceptable.

The Chinese to this day accuse the Dalai Llama of being a kind of dictator and lord of his own people in Tibet. In reality, the conflict between China and Tibet has reflected how strongly China wishes to erase their past and rush in a new era of totalitarian capitalism (in other words fascism). They've taken the Tibetan land and dramatically changed the landscape to a modern Chinese vacation resort village, with an almost Disney-esque take on the olden Tibetan life and tradition.

The Dalai Lama's chosen successor, the Penchant Lama, was kidnapped by China, though they refute any allegations. And to add insult to injury, they have "enstated" a substitute Penchant Lama of Chinese blood to replace the Dalai Lama when he is dead. If found out, the Chinese Government would be held responsible for the kindap of the youngest political prisoner in history.

Remember that everyone's got an agenda, atheist and religious alike. You and me, we all have an agenda.
    Though no one that believes, in anything, in the determinate vision that God without a doubt exists, to the other extreme determinate vision that God cannot possibly exist; Neither group can possibly be right,and that is because God, by definition, is incomprehensible and beyond human understanding in "His" entirety.

In short, can't we all just admit that we don't know anything and enjoy each other's company all the while wondering at what it all means, without ever taking ourselves too seriously? After all, isn't that actually what life's all about?

2. No.

Some people are gnostic.

3. I'd hate to sum up all of what you just said into a few lines but…

No, just because none of us REALLY know, doesn't mean we don't believe we can (know) one way or another...