Are You Trying To Quit Cigarettes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, May 21, 2013.

1. [SIZE=10pt]Hot off PubMed comes a study on cannabidiol (CBD) that says it may help you quit tobacco! [/SIZE] :hello:

Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: Preliminary findings
    (abst – 2013)           http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23685330

[SIZE=10pt]Abstract[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10pt]The role of the endocannabinoid system in nicotine addiction is being increasingly acknowledged. We conducted a pilot, randomised double blind placebo controlled study set out to assess the impact of the ad-hoc use of cannabidiol (CBD) in smokers who wished to stop smoking. 24 smokers were randomised to receive an inhaler of CBD (n=12) or placebo (n=12) for one week, they were instructed to use the inhaler when they felt the urge to smoke. Over the treatment week, placebo treated smokers showed no differences in number of cigarettes smoked. In contrast, those treated with CBD significantly reduced the number of cigarettes smoked by ~40% during treatment. Results also indicated some maintenance of this effect at follow-up. These preliminary data, combined with the strong preclinical rationale for use of this compound, suggest CBD to be a potential treatment for nicotine addiction that warrants further exploration.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Granny's translation[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]- They took 24 tobacco smokers and divided them into 2 groups. One group got an inhaler with CBD, the other group got "dummy" inhalers. They were told to use the inhaler whenever they wanted to smoke. The CBD group smoked about 40% fewer cigarettes than the control group in the first week! The “dummy” group kept on smoking as usual.  And then they ended the study at the end of the week.  Looking at the big drop in use, they think that CBD might be worth looking into as a way to quit tobacco! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I wonder what would have happened if they had continued the study for a full month? The CBD is obviously effective, even with no psychoactive effect! However, CBD has also been used as an anti-anxiety medication, which would help with the “jonesing” and anxiety of withdrawal. [/SIZE]

Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients.   (CBD reduces public speaking anxiety in shy non-cannabis users)     (abst – 2011)                     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307846

[SIZE=10pt]CBD inhalers are not available to you, because cannabis is still illegal in most states. (Become an activist!)  New strains of "High CBD" cannabis, such as"Cannatonic" and "Harlequin", are available with a little looking. Smoking is just a primitive inhalation technique, so having a few puffs on some “High CBD” cannabis should help you quit tobacco. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Or a little tincture used under your tongue would likely work just as well as a spray. It is very EASY to make a tincture! (Run a search!) “High CBD” tinctures are also available from dispensaries in many MMJ states.  Tinctures can be used discretely even in a work environment (If they ask, tell them it's "lobelia tincture"- another stop smoking herbal tincture that is legal and sometimes helps.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt](This could be a real business opportunity in a MMJ state-  brand-new, no nicotine, stop smoking products!)[/SIZE]

Granny :wave:

2. I'm sure most people smoke tobacco than cannabis mostly because of two reasons:

- The pricing of tobacco
    - The easy availability of tobacco compared to cannabis

Hell, if I had the money, and knew all the right people, then of course I would give up cigs for weed, but, I don't.

3. I use a CBD tincture for my anxiety and it really does help. I feel more at ease. I wish I got the vegetable based one but I got the alcohol one. Burns the crap out of my tongue but it works.