Are You Trying To Quit Cigarettes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, May 21, 2013.

1. Hot off PubMed comes a study on cannabidiol (CBD) that may help you quit!

[SIZE=12pt]Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: Preliminary findings.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt](abst – 2013)           [/SIZE]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23685330

\tAbstractThe role of the endocannabinoid system in nicotine addiction is being increasingly acknowledged. We conducted a pilot, randomised double blind placebo controlled study set out to assess the impact of the ad-hoc use of cannabidiol (CBD) in smokers who wished to stop smoking. 24 smokers were randomised to receive an inhaler of CBD (n=12) or placebo (n=12) for one week, they were instructed to use the inhaler when they felt the urge to smoke. Over the treatment week, placebo treated smokers showed no differences in number of cigarettes smoked. In contrast, those treated with CBD significantly reduced the number of cigarettes smoked by ~40% during treatment. Results also indicated some maintenance of this effect at follow-up. These preliminary data, combined with the strong preclinical rationale for use of this compound, suggest CBD to be a potential treatment for nicotine addiction that warrants further exploration.

Granny's translation- They took 24 tobacco smokers and divided them into 2 groups. One group bot an inhaler with CBD, the other group got "dummy" inhalers. They were told to use the inhaler whenever they wanted to smoke a cig. The CBD group smoked about 40% fewer cigs than the control group in the first week! And then they ended the study at one week, saying CBD might be worth looking into as a way to quit tobacco!

CBD inhalers are not available to you, because cannabis is still illegal in most states. (Become an activist!) However, new strains of "High CBD" cannabis, like "Cannatonic" and Harlequin", are available with a little looking. A tincture used under your tongue would likely work just as well as a spray, and it is EASY to make a tincture! (run a search!)

Granny :wave:

2. too bad weed cost like x2 as much as cigarettes

3. thanks granny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

but really the pot helps alot.

4. i had a hard time quitting cigs while still smoking weed.  it was always a habit to light one up after smoking a bowl/bong/joint/whatever.  i found quitting to be much more of a mental struggle than physical.  though i assume i wasnt very pissed off all the time since the green kept me laid back.

5. Yeah I am trying to stop, in MN there was a recent tax increase on cigs of $1.60. So my favorite cigs Old Gold will be around $6.80. JUST TOo expensive to kill myself for.

6. I quit almost 5 months ago...prior to my quitting cigs I had quit pot for about 6 months.(lookin for new job) about three or four weeks into quiting cigs I broke down and got myself some herb. It helped TREMENDOUSLY. Now I'm back off herb, back on the job hunt and still cig free!

So yea in my personal experience weed was literally a life saver! Lol

7. i think what would also help...is for people to have the right mindset...you have to really want to quit

i quit, over a year ago...although i didn't smoke for a long time....but i had the mindset to really want to quit...kinda like how you wake up one day, and realize you want to change your life around....and it was easy to quit...yeah the headaches suck, but they don't last forever, for me only like a couple days, and got the "smokers flu"...after that i was semi-fine, except for the really bad anxiety afterwards...so i'd say 1 week-week and half to quit smoking alltogether, and a couple months for the anxiety to go away

8. I smoked on and off for about 4 years..sometimes more heavily than others. At my peak I was smoking a few packs a week and I'd say I was semi-addicted.

When I decided I wanted to quit, I just stopped. Whatever small withdrawal I did go through wasn't that bad, and I have enough self-discipline to stop doing something when I want.

9. I mean I'm just saying a 4 year addiction is probably a lot easier to quit than say my grandfather quitting smoking when he has smoked for decades or somebody who has been smoking a long time. 

Although I find it for me it is the habit that is hard to kick and not so much the nicotine feeling. Something about putting some tobacco in my lip on a commute to work is just soothing. Although there have been periods where I have attempted to cut back for a few days and I do say it isn't all that hard and I have been chewing for about 7 years now. I guess it effects everyone differently though I suppose and I am a lot like you where I don't consider myself fully addicted as I go through about a tin a week (where I see people go through a tin a day) and I have occasions where I just go without it for awhile because I don't feel like walking to the closest corner store

10. Lol no offense man but you sound like my Buddie who said he was going to quit diping about two weeks after I quit cigs. All during his first week he told me the withdrawal wasn't that bad for him and it's was a walk in the park,and he wasn't that addicted anyways.

Welp he made it's two weeks. He says, oh it wasn't that bad I just wanted a dip. That IS addiction man! Lol. Like I said I mean no harm and I'm not trying to call you out but don't say your only simi addicted. That's not possible. Ever hear of a kinda addicted heroin user? Lol

11. DEAR AMERICANS: CIGARETTES IN CANADA COSTS DOUBLE WHAT IT IS IN THE UNITED STATES. SO COME TO CANADA IF YOU WANT TO QUIT.

12. But they kill you all the same.

13. Worst part is I was thinking the same shit you just said while I was typing that post:p I mean addiction just sounds bad though, like in reality I like dipping whereas I know a lot of people who smoke cigs who say that they hate that shit so much but feel they can't quit because of the withdrawls. For me it isn't the withdrawls, it is just that I like to dip:p 

14. i smoked about 3 cigarettes MAYBE today which is great sincei smoke a pack a day.i did also smoke about a eighth of weed though hahahaa