ARE YOU STILL MAD OVER THE CONFEDERATE STATUE TOPPLINGS?????

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chicken, Jan 21, 2019.

1. I feel like when we put statues up of anyone or memorials and especially when it shows a soldier with his sword drawn on a charging horse - in a library or a city park - eh. I think we are portraying these people as great Americans.

Just my thoughts and They don’t mean an awful lot.

J

• Like Like x 1
  2. There IS that - but I read a lot of the reasons why specific municipalities wanted them down and many were cited as saying that they’ve been attracting violence - if you were to google “why are the Confederate statues being taken down“, You’ll see a lot of the city leaders, town managers etc. etc. saying that because of the violence at Klan rally’s which always take place around these statues between the supremecists and their opponents; The one that shot up the church, The incident where a car was driven into the crowd at a rally in the more, they just don’t want that kind of stuff happening in their towns. It seems to be a combination of both reasons.

J

3. Bit hysterical there dude? It's been a year and a half. Have any books been burned?

In case you're not sure here's a list of mass book burnings. 21st century is at the bottom. Seems that most book burning in 21st century America were done by....Churches. Lol...

List of book-burning incidents - Wikipedia

4. Why must everything be sugar coated? People willingly fight and die to defend their beliefs. In the case of the Civil War everyone who died was an American. Our country struggled and eventually upheld the most basic of human rights as defined in the Declaration of Independence.

We hold these truths to be self-evident:
    That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.....

As horrible as it was to fight that war, the only thing worse would have been to not have fought it and continue living with slavery and a divided America.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ;)
    I was being hyperbolic on a side note fuck churches .

6. Fair enough, and agree.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #47 jerry111165, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    I completely agree with everything you said.

When our country was created it was BASED ON FREEDOM. Our Government was based on Freedom. We fought our Revolutionary War against the British crown - for our Freedom. Our soldiers - who were schoolteachers, farmers, bakers and blacksmiths - did so to protect our freedom at all costs.

Now - I DO REALIZE that this was a different time but the Confederate states fired the first shot - although it was inevitable at that point.

Our Government was creating laws to make sure all citizens were Free men but these states didn’t want to give up the slaves they had and rebelled against their government.

If they were fighting for any kind of a worthy cause I’d have zero issue with this. - but they weren’t. They were fighting to keep men and their families as slaves.

I don’t think that this would even be any kind of a current event or issue amongst us right now without the hatred of the white supremacist/KKK movement. In my opinion from what I’ve read as reasons cited by different municipalities for removing these statues it ALL comes back to hatred and violence.

I am incredibly and totally for freedom of speech; again with the Freedom word - but once hatred & violence comes into the picture, people dig their own graves.

Edit: darn Autocorrect

J

8. I'm not all that interested in keeping or removing the statues but I think we should judge people's actions by the standards of their time, like I don't think it's fair to judge Mohammad for keeping slaves or screwing 12 year old girls if that was the accepted practice of the times in which he lived. Look at the age of consent, you and I don't see anything wrong with having sex with a 18 year old but in the future if the age of consent changes to 19, we shouldn't be treated as rapists for our actions today.

Taking the statues down so that people opposed to them don't become violent isn't a good reason. We wouldn't put up statues if the KKK threatened violence if we didn't.

I don't know if we are considering the people who the statues represent to be great Americans. Maybe they were great confederate soldiers but I don't consider anyone who makes war on America to be great Americans.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I agree with you, Ed - I said the same thing in the post above -
    “Now - I DO REALIZE that this was a different time“

I get it - folks were used to a way of life and didn’t want to give in to changing laws. There’s no doubt it was a shitty time and it was shitty that it had to happen to the American people. I think a lot of this wouldn’t even be a thing, though, if the violence hadn’t started back up (relatively) recently.

I also get the KKK’s right to Free Speech - but it ends there. Too much hatred following those people and since they always decide to have their shitty rally’s around the Confederate statues the violence made its way there by default.

The whole thing was too bad and could have been avoided - but when you start firing on the USA military nothing good is gonna happen.

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. it shows me that the klan of this day and time has more morals, than the youth of our country...simplly by the fact, that thier hasnt been no retalliation,, wouldnt you think that by ripping down a statue, would be returned by perhaps a statue of M.L.K. being set on fire, or dragged down the road by truck...

but nothing like that happened, so i ask you who stands on the moral ground,? the klan i.m.o. dont give a shit about them statues, it's symbols of a day gone by,,,the klan of this day and time, and why must we label it as the KLAN white people in general are more focused on racial purity,, we are getting sick of every commercial shows a inter-racial couple,,,or a gay couple,, nothing wrong with it, once you reach a adult age to understand it,

but we dont want our children '' programmed'' by what they see on t.v. .....the sitcom shows of the 70's would never be allowed to run, on a show made in 2019,,, say a updated version of '' all in the family'' ARCHIE BUNKER,,,OR perhaps SANFORD AND SON,,,those were the 2 most racial flicks that ever aired on t.v.

11. The Stephen King book "It" was made into a movie on TV recently and they had to change the story line because of how the times have changed just since the book was written. I did read the book when it came out but since my memory is shit I don't remember much about it but lately I was reading a story about it saying in the original story this girl about 14 saved her friends from the monster by taking their virginity, evidently the monster only took virgins. In the movie version that wasn't in it at all, they changed it to fit how we feel about sex between minors today. The Blue Lagoon couldn't be made today either since it shows a nude 14 year old Brooke Shields. We don't see that movie being rerun on TV. Times change, sometimes for the better sometimes not.

12. ^^^^^^ yeah, it's a sick world we live in right now.. the lack of morals, the disdain of life, by all the gun violence we got, in rural areas,,,all the workplace, and school shootings,,, and the list goes on,

at one time all homosexuals kept thier lifestyle private and to thierselves,,, but slowlly they started throwing it in the general publics face,,, and over time they demanded that we as the general public accept it,,, then they wanted certain rights, up to the point of preversion of the century old tradition of marriage,,, and they suceeded, in such a way,,,, that the L.G.B.T. communinity seen thier sucess,, and wanted the same thing,,,, and they got it,

it's these groups that push people to see how far they can go,,,i believe the toppling of the statues, in a way wasnt against the history they stood for,, but they were trying to draw the attention of a certain people,,, who SO FAR HAVE paid them no attention, because the average person could give a shit less if your gay,,, could give a shit less, if you want to tuck your cock under your ass and wear a dress,,, so they were deprived of the attention they think they deserve,,,

and how do you get THIER attention???? you strike at a inanimate object that would strike a nerve with that group of people your trying to influence....

thats the way i see it,, a bunch of attention starved individuals,, who live thier life on social media,,, personallity-parisites,,, incapable of thier own decision,,, but followers, not leaders

13. Maybe they need to focus on the present time. Our prisons are the new slavery.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. well looks like once again... thiers individuals,who are trying to provoke the white man,,, or at least stir up some hate towards the white man,,, by the EMPIRE dude, and his shannanigans,,

is it a trend for these people, to poke the white giant until they get a response,?

racism towards the black man is dead in this country,,,yet i dont understand,??? do some blacks miss the ol'e days when racism was strong in america,? do they wish to return back to a era resembling the 60's.?
    do they require that VICTIM status that bad,,, because they are no longer a victim in this country,
    yet they like to throw around the word RASICM,,, yet the ones they are calling racist,, aint racist at all !!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. White ppl r the minority now most ppl n America are mixed race

16. How about put all the Confederate statues in a civil war museum, one for each state. They don't get destroyed so there is that. If some idiot goes to a civil war museum and gets offended it's on him.

• Like Like x 2
  17. If some idiot gets offended by a statue at all then boo hoo, fuck his feelings.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Not so much pissed as disapointed - we should not destroy history ever it benefits no one to forget the good or bad from our past - and would be doomed to relive it ....
    ANd we have been misinformed about the confederacy - its main goal was not slavery (slavery was the screw the north used to hurt the south - but they had slaves after the war in the north) it was to not become part of the UNION and be controlled by the federal government -- that being said I salute the AMERICAN flag and back our constitution .....

• Like Like x 1
  19. #60 garrison68, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    As a Northerner with absolutely no Southern roots, I believe that the Civil War was a huge mistake - the worst in our nation's history. In order to keep those 11 states, over 700,000 people, mostly young white males, died - which was about 2% of the population. It divided us and we have still not recovered.

We all grew up being taught that Lincoln was one of our greatest presidents. As I matured, I began to realize that he was the worst. If statues of Confederates are removed, then the Lincoln Memorial should be, as well.

• Agree Agree x 1