ARE YOU STILL MAD OVER THE CONFEDERATE STATUE TOPPLINGS?????

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chicken, Jan 21, 2019.

1. #21 SmokinP, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    @chicken I traced my family history a few years ago and a fair few of us left Ireland during and after the Famine of the 1840's. Of those that left the vast majority fought for the South during the Civil War. The family name show's up in many accounts of battles and it's celebrated still in our family.

“We are the Louisiana Tigers!" my grandfather used to shout when drunk and he'd rant and rave about that's what our ancestors proclaimed as they went into battle at Gettysburg.

It's not that we support the cause of the Confederacy but more the act of rebellion and the attempt to throw off the chains and shackles of government oppression. Fuck government of the 1860's and fuck government of the 2010's.

You'd do well over here in Ireland my feathered friend, your hatred for government and rebellious spirit would be celebrated and encouraged. I'd say you'd have made a good IRA man.

If I was you Chicken I'd hit back at those Union bastards and start a movement to rip down their statues and monuments. Start with that pompous fucker Lincoln on his throne in DC, think big brother! If they're going after your statues make them suffer the same faith!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. A horrible thing - such a shame - but could not be allowed to happen so the North - The United States Federal Government shut it down - as they well should.

But yes it was an incredible shame.

J

3. The balls that bearded man had - Who the hell did he think he was freeing the slaves?? Lol

Man but you are a riot - i’d really like to see how far somebody would get trying to touch the statue of Lincoln and Washington DC man but would that be funny…

4. I don't know Jerry, the whole freeing the slave thing seems like a bit of polish put on to gloss over the fact that the South wanted to do it's own thing.

Don't get me wrong now, slaves and slaving ain't cool. My own people were traded for many a moon, why back in the day we were seen as the cheaper alternative to black African slaves. One African slave cost the same as 10 Irish slaves. I guess we were like the economy low cost cheap alternative slave.

Do you not get to touch Lincoln's toes when you go see him sitting on his throne? What's the point in going to see the statue of you can't touch it?

5. The civil war was horrible. It should not be forgotten or destroyed how will people remember the horror if we erase the parts we personally find offensive . We should leave the statue destroying to isis.

• Like Like x 1
  6. me personally i wouldnt mess with any statue's,,, be they union soldiers,,,or the man MARTIN himself,
    i may be a card carrying member, but the groups that are popping thier heads up right now,, have a lot more hate in thier heart than your traditionall '' hate groups'' have,

mainlly because the modern group, isnt taken serious by the o.g. group. they look at them as comical and mis-guided sheep.

7. I just think it's weird that people get offended by inanimate objects to the point of demanding they be destroyed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Honestly, I had no attraction to the confederate statues but I do not want to see any historic artifacts destroyed. Trying to erase our history seems evil.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 100% a mix of both to make the “books” read well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Not all the were just torn down by protestors though. Only three in fact! The vast majority we taken down by the municipalities they stood in.

Are you going to say the Municipalities don't have the right to decide what statues sit in their towns or state property?

Here's a list of what was taken down. Please take note of the fact that most were not taken down by any protestors. Also take note of a very important fact, WHEN these statues or monuments were erected, and by WHOM. Because it matters. Removal of Confederate monuments and memorials - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  11. the MANISUPALITIES took them down out of fear,,, as to what may happen to them,, and the media storm it would cause,,,, they gave in to pressure,,
    and in my eyes that is very weak,,,,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Re: Confederate statues -

The Confederate states rebelled against and were at war with the majority - correct? The Confederacy was an unrecognized country for four years.

Do we want other people who we’ve been at war with to raise statues in our land? Japanese and German statues, as an example? Statues are raised to honor people and things. Do we want to honor people that rebelled against our country? Serious question.

J

13. What’s next after all the statues are destroyed and names of streets /buildings are changed . public book burnings ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Do you think the Confederate statues should be left in place? If so, why?

So if you do any research at all, you’ll see that the main reason that the 11 confederate states wanted to secede from the rest of the United States and form their own country, the “Confederate states of America”, was because they wanted to keep their slaves. There are other reasons but that is the main big one.

So it was the Confederates that first fired upon US federal troops at Fort Sumter outside of Charleston South Carolina.

Wouldn’t you agree or anyone for that matter, that once you start firing on US troops that you become an enemy of the United States?

I was personally a palled back in the 1980s when I personally saw the confederate flag flying above the stars and stripes at the Statehouse in South Carolina. It should’ve been ripped down by soldiers the minute it went up. To honor or glorify the enemies of the United States is bullshit in my opinion anyhow. We certainly wouldn’t dream of putting up statues of any of the united States other enemies anywhere… So why on earth would this be any different? Are we saying it’s OK to attack US troops on their own soil?

Book burning…

J

15. No, for the most part they took them down because of increased violence and negative feedback.

In my opinion they shouldn’t have been up in the first place. Why should we be honoring enemies of the United States and especially on our public lands and parks where these were located?

J

• Like Like x 1
  16. #36 Cactus Ed, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    The colosseum was where gladiators were forced to fight to the death for entertainment so it must be torn down. The Quran must also be destroyed as it allowed slavery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. No man I’m not looking at it like that at all. When we put statues in our city parks or public library as we are telling our children that these are great people - correct? Why else would we put up statues of them?

These are/were our own United States citizens opening fire as enemies on our government. We should erect statues of them and plaques in their honor?

Our country, our Declaration of Independence was based on the phrase that all men are created equal… it doesn’t say all white men, it says ALL men.

These statues were being taken down if you do any research on it, mostly because of violence such as the white supremacist driving his car into the crowd, another opening fire in the black church to start another race war and clashes between the KKK/white supremacists and people that don’t believe in their values - around these statues.

J

18. No, we're not telling them they're great people. We're telling them that this is our history, good and bad. In the case of the Civil War, good overcame the evil of slavery and division. Isn't that a lesson worth saving?

19. #39 Cactus Ed, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    I still must not understand your point. I thought people wanted the statues down because they were statues of racists and proponents of slavery.

20. o_O Goes back to whistling Dixie.

• Funny Funny x 1