Are you a broke college student?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhythm of Life, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Cause I got the way to make bank and it ain't flippin O's. Its software :D All college bookstores carry software programs at discounts for students. Find the most expensive software (I use Adobe CS4 Master Collection) buy it ans sell it on eBay. I get my master collection for $550 out the door and they sell on eBay for $1000+. Nice little way to make a few bills, enjoi.

2. people actually buy them for that much?

I thouht most people just downloade it lol guess not.

3. That would be awesome except I don't even have enough money to do something like that!

Wish I could double my money that easily

4. Hmm good idea actually ill have to check my schools bookstore next time im there. [​IMG]

5. That's how much they retail for

I didn't pay for my Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended because, I mean seriously...

But yeah that's a pretty good idea

6. If you run a legitimate business legal licensing is a must have at any software/design company.

-Mark

7. yeah me either.. thats sooo much money if they sell quick i might do that though.. im stuck doin surveys for like an extra 100 a month but it helps

8. I like this idea! I'll be checking out the bookstore tomorrow.

9. i bought cs2 suite through a student software site for $200.
    as easy as it would be to download it, thats just wrong
    there are tons of people who spent countless hours working to make the software.
    its worth the price (maybe not cs4 though)

10. Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended sells for $999

I didn't pay that much for my computer

Maybe if it were priced lower, a larger demographic of consumers would be persuaded to buy it. At a thousand bucks, either you're a professional artist who needs the software, someone with money to burn, or you're gonna download it for free.

11. Your comp. didn't cost as much as it costs to pay 100+ dollar an hour programmers for an amazingly versatile piece of software.

12. lol its the worlds smallest violin!

13. The irony is that the picture is probably Photoshopped

14. its intended for a certain demographic, im not trying to start a fight here, but theres a reason it costs so much. You can find expensive versions of pretty much everything, high end computer, amps, guitars... that doesnt give you the right to steal it. Thats why there are open source version of this stuff, such as GIMP.

15. The links that my school provides for this software is http://www.journeyed.com

On there, it says for CS4 Master Collection that the license is none. Is this is a special student/weird license or is it the normal business/personal use license?

Thanks
    Joe

16. In school, I never purchased any programs just for the fact that my tuition is 90k alone, not saying that the Software Devs are undeserving because of my tuition, but mainly because I couldn't afford to purchase any of the creative suites let alone the master collections.

Outside of school is a different story.

17. good idea! you dont even have to lay out the money. just put it on ebay and when somebody wins the auction, use the money that they gave you to buy it

18. If you're a professional graphic designer or web dude/chick, those Adobe applications cost about the equivalent of a day's work... this seems pretty reasonable compared to, say, what a mechanic pays for a set of high-end (Snap-on, Mac, etc.) tools. It's not a perfect analogy, since the mechanic will get a lifetime of use out of those tools, whereas the designer will need to upgrade every few years... but still, it's not a huge deal.

Professionals WANT the software to be expensive -- they'd probably like it to be far more expensive, actually -- since it keeps hacks like me from entering the field and competing with them for clients.

I'd happily pay $500 for a legal copy of the full Adobe suite, just to screw around with Flash/Photoshop from time to time, but Adobe has made it very clear that they don't want amateurs like me as customers. Unlike other software companies, Adobe isn't willing to do any kind of "price segmentation" with their products, with the single exception of a discount for students, and even here they're VERY stringent about who qualifies. (And you have to send them proof; it ain't on the honor system or anything.)

So screw 'em... I hope you make a fortune.