Are we in a simulation?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Deleted member 985876, May 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I just watched Westworld and played Sims 4, don't fuck with me like that.

Sent from my [SG s9+] using Grasscity Forum mobile app
    /////Edit in response to op's forum question haha.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. beep boop independent thought detected

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. stop messing with my head

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. It seems, even if we aren't in a simulation, that we will soon enough choose to be in one or multiple ones.

As technology and the virtual reality industry continue to grow, real life is going to find it harder and harder to keep up with it.

Once you can emulate just about any experience to higher and higher degree, what will be the point of "reality"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Maybe God's been playing Sim-Universe for the last 13 Billion years.

Just kidding. God doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Oh but we are :)

7. Care to expand on that proposition?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. #28 JohnnyEvergreen, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    I like your interpretation. It seems spot on mostly and I do believe as well that just because we aren’t in a simulation now, doesn’t mean it will stop us from ending up in one or multiple when we stumble into the first branch of the simulation chain.

I mean for some one who thinks they know what they are doing, it will be to big to turn down the conception. We will believe that it can be used for the good, to gain some type of control, or as some weird fetish to play as god, but can you begin to imagine how terrible things could come out. Does the good out-weigh the bad or are we inevitably playing with a fire that can’t be put out?

That’s the key here, if we know what we are doing... if it hasn’t been done before then...I’d say that we will fuck it up as par usual.

Why even start it in the first place? Our quest for more is just leading us down a path that at times seems more destructive then beneficial. What are we searching for with it and what’s to gain? Okay you make a simulation, but then what? What do you use it for and what things will it be used for in the end?

I’d rather just hang out here on this spinning ball in space kicking it with a joint and watching nature take its route. Sure shoot us to the stars and back, have pieces of metal with an imagination roaming, clone some sheep hearts and shit, but don’t fuck with reality. We are trying to walk a straight line with two left feet and one day...if it hasn’t already happened, we are going to get stuck in a loop.

Will there be anyone on the outside looking in? Or will we be essentially fish in a barrel but in a barrel alone in the woods floating in a vast emptiness with no other fish to set us free? Just doomed to swim in infinite circles until the barrel becomes desolate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #29 Praetorian, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    That's the big point here in my opinion. Politically, philosophically, anthropologically...

If we get to a technological point, where we can simulate any reality for any individual, then isn't it their right to be god in their own private universe?

The Matrix dealt with this issue a bit, where Cypher chose to be a quasi monarch in the virtual world, rather than a struggling mortal in the real world.

Was he wrong? Did he not have the right?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you think about it, all software is information, all we are is information in the form of energy in the form of cells that group together to make a larger piece of information. When someone looks at us or we look at something, our brain processes it as information and we then remember what that information looks like or smells like and it becomes reality. Any image can be broken down into single pixels, so can our bodies, with the higgz boson being the smallest pixel (particle that makes up the parts of the atom) we have discovered. If the earth was the universe, and we were ants on the earth, there are MANY things bigger and brighter than us. Not so hard to think a creator or even ourselves in the future have devised a way to simulate rather than create our existence .

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. It's a simulation created by the self. Your brain is hallucinating your conscious reality outwards from within. It really depends on how you define simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Spinning a web filled with interpretation in this thread, I like it.

Well I suppose I’d have to know the specific denotation attached to your idea of this particular simulation theory. What is your take on the meaning of simulation here and how does it tie in? I’d like to probe further but I could go the opposite way on accident just by misinterpreting your perception of the focal point.

I like where we are going though, I am just trying to lay down a somewhat coordinated train of thought between us. One in which my attributions bind with yours and vis versa. A “on the same page” sorta thing essentially as to not become lost in chaoticity.

13. #33 JohnnyEvergreen, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    So on a hypothetically philosophical scale...we are a simulation(mini individual simulations)...inside a simulation...inside that simulation.

How do we know whose simulation is the most pure and who really is the simulation for? Me because it’s my idea of a simulation or yours? Because I’d like to think of my self as free thinker and I’m sure you as well, and well there’s the fact that I am living my life and naturally can’t interpret how you live yours and think on a personal scale.

...so are you just the computer reacting to my actions or is it the reverse? Or is there some formulation that you suspect?

Time to poke around on the right side of our cerebrums for a while. This could get crazy lol. Guess this is where the whole ignorance is bliss junk comes in to play.

By the way I am just shooting at moving targets at the moment so when and if you decide to make a baseline, I’ll try to narrow everything down and focus(like firing at a single moving target). I am just being unsystematic at this particular moment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. How it exactly works, is up for grabs, since we obviously don't know for sure what is going on, or even if anything of the sort is going on.
    One easy thing to consider, is that if there is a simulation going on, it would be the work of technology well advanced compared to our own. As such, the possibilities would be vast.

We could be in individually tailor-made realities, where the only real individual is ourselves, and everything and everyone else is simulated. It could also be a group simulation, where we are all real, but the world and events around us are simulated in various ways.

Obviously, we don't have proof of any of this going on, but it only makes sense that any sufficiently developed and functioning simulation would not be perceivable by those within it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. #35 JohnnyEvergreen, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Fair enough. I very much like that response. It naturally only makes sense if we could not perceive the simulation. Otherwise it would no longer be a simulation. What would happen if that were to occur though? If we were to even be in one.

Say we were able to realize the simulation, is it possible to break free? Or is it more like we are in a computer simulated reality of sorts.(simple form as there could be a multitude of different simulation chamber types) I guess a way to help with the visualization of this idea would be to cognitively envision the difference between us just as [ part of a software in a hard drive VS us in a controlled environment,room,etc( aka Earth) but still being real in the sense of physicality. ] Which would totally change the game of what really could be the reality of things but could we possibly do something to elicit a response if the simulation was real? Like for example blow up the moon? Or a planet...

Guess is just depends on the idea of the simulation you decide to go with. The Simulation Hypothesis vs You being in a simulation but being real somewhere hooked up to a machine in a room(think avatar-ish like)

• Like Like x 2

16. This is where we run into all the cases and stories where people realized "a glitch in reality". Events that hint at things being simulated, malfunctioning, or being weirdly changeable or repetitive.

[​IMG]

If we are in a simulation, it may be possible to break free, but it's not sure if we would want to, considering that we don't know what lies on the other side.

• Like Like x 2
  17. #37 Deleted member 1049288, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
    edit

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Well considering I've never worn lipstick, I'm thinking your full of it and, find you to be a bit rude sometimes to say the least.

Weather or not I dislike you is up to interpretation of future encounters. I don't know you well enough to say your a bad guy just over one minorly insulting comment over the internet. Which by the way was oh so funny(sarcasm).

I don't want a argument in any way but, just know the crassness of that comment just makes you look bad not me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Confusion at max levels. Who the hell knows what to believe anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  20. #40 Deleted member 1049288, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
    edit