are usa electric plug sockets the sam as uk ones?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BEn1990, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ive seen a great hps on ebay from a usa seller are the plug sockets the same as in the uk(england)

2. #2 Dr RealGood, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    Nope. This is a USA socket. However, it still may work. In the USA, a lot of newer sockets are designed to take USA and UK equipment. Maybe it's the same over there? You might need a power converter though.
    [​IMG]

3. #3 rooster1369, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
    You can always cut the plug off the cord and replace it with a replacement plug (similar to this)with the UK blade setup. The wiring is the same I'm sure.

4. Um, the USA and UK run on completely different voltage standards. You can't just retrofit a plug for one onto an appliance made for the other, you'll need a voltage converter (unless the appliance specifically has dual voltage capability).

5. I stand corrected

6. Then you would still be wrong. Lets take a peek:

Electrical wiring in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tl:dr well thats easy, its 240v @ 50Hz. Though I recently read, that UK has stepped it down slightly to 230v @ 50Hz.

A smart american would know in America, we have 120v @ 60Hz. No, an American product will not work without a converter (its actually a transformer but whatever) UNLESS it was capable on its own (adjustable input power supply with cordset change)

DO NOT attempt to purchase a US product and put a UK plug on it, IT WILL NOT WORK! Chances are good you will arc so much voltage, your whole block maybe out of power.

:wave:

7. this is absolutely correct. i used to work at a factory that specifically made voltage converters for over seas. I don't recommended using them to run a high wattage light. many times a hair dryer is enough to fry them.

Although the converter might say they are rated for X wattage, if you are constantly running power through them i would cut that rated number in half.

8. ah i see... looks like i'll have to buy a UK light, growing weeds complicated enough without converters lol

9. Or just convert to outdoors:smoke:

10. in the north of the uk you must be joking

11. hmmm... Sorry bro:confused: not completely familiar with your climate. I guess just get a ballast that plugs into your UK style receptacle.