Are they really that bad?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by mmmbongo, Apr 7, 2013.

1. #1 mmmbongo, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
    :hello:So, I've got a couple of lovely little ones and a deadline on when my project has to end (3 months), and I will be starting up again next year with more time and space.

I want some seeds of these lovely and lucky genetics. I don't have time to hunt for a male before the end. I want to force hermie on a plant so I can make a batch of (unstable) seeds. Using the sultan method, but not self pollinated. I know they will be unstable genetically, but when I start again I am happy to see what is strong, what is not, and accept the fact that the characteristics are unstable and may not fruit similar offspring (But I may get some new gems, curiosities for the happy grower, and back stabilize later on).

I just have a couple of questions!
    1.)When forcing a plant into hermie and then using this as the sultan for other varieties, the genetic information passed on will not be exclusively hermaphroditic, correct? It only shows male reproductive organs, but the information passed on is genetically female?

2.)What are the most assured ways to force a plant to produce male reproductive organs? Hour of light in the middle of the night? Silver nitrate spray? Low nitrogen, high potassium?

3.) Any tips from anyone who has done something similar?

Kind regards!

2. Or could anyone suggest an alternative idea for the situation?!

3. #3 LinuxJ, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
    Colloidal Silver, someone more experienced in it should answer, but colloidal silver. From what I understand, you spray the plant with an extremely dilute amount of silver, and since silver is a poison to most organisms, it causes enough stress for a female to hermie, what is unknown is if this information is carried in epigenetic drift, or if it is only passed on as an XX, which from what I understood from a medical journal on cannabis, they have some weird X:A system, so it is unknown how this is passed down. Until science comes up with an answer, I have been thinking regular seeds, you want to keep as much of those genes, if you have to fem, as soon as you use them, get a male from a same type plant or ancestor, and back-cross, as in use the same mother cutting to make seeds, and then use the males from the mother's batch, to make pollen and cross that with the a cut of the mother, that's in-bred-lineage(like Kentucky :D).
    **The joke on Kentucky is a joke...
    Thank you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X0_sex-determination_system
    If you want, you could read about other sex determination systems, the three main ones are:
    XY: Sex is determined by male.
    ZW: Sex is determined by female.
    X:A / X0<- zero: Sex is when females can turn into males, not much is known about the offspring of these as in sex determination of that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-determination_system

4. Thank you! Lots of new things to read :D
    So actual silver?! That's pretty cool. If the genetics of hermies is a bit baffling then I will give it a miss this time around. Will wait until I get an inevitable male :)

5. No problem, it's mostly unknown because of the lack of study in cannabis(more of the hermaphrodites of cannabis).