Are these ready for hps?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kkjones714, Jul 26, 2013.

1. I currently have these babies under 4 cfls... 4. 100w cool light cfls. They have been growing for about 3ish weeks i believe can i put them under my hps now to make them geow better and faster or would it be too much light for them. They look really good so far nice and compact while my others in flowering are pretty tall. Let me know i would love to put them under my 400w hps to get them going if its not too early here are some pics they are all about 2 to 3 inches

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Honestly, they are looking alittle crispy, looks like you might have the cfl's alittle close. I always like to put my veg lights up about 8-12", this will give them some room to grow. Also, if you haven't repotted yet, it's time to throw them in some 3 gallons. That will really get your babys going. Then after a couple of weeks, you can ease them under the HPS.

3. #3 Rootsphere_Farms, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
    Look at the plants, then ask yourself if they can really hand a 400 watt hps light
    You can do it if you keep it a good distance away

4. they have only been growing for 11 days i was planning to change pots at 15 days. My previous plants stretched from having the light a foot above and now im left with plants with tall stems but not much leafs. I have them 5 inches away right now

5. Sounds like a good plan then, you said 3ish weeks in your OP.

6. Very small for 3weeks. Should be a foot tall by now

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 Doc-J, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    I start mine under a 600w hps the day they sprout. If your worried about light toxicity then just raise the light a little. You should be more than fine at 12" to 18" away if temps are good.

Heat is a different story and is more often the culprit when people kill seedlings. However you need to have temps in check regardless of the plants age.

They can always handle the light. I run a 1000W XXXL hood MH/HPS and they go under that from first day of germination. Just make sure you have a humidity dome for them and they will love the light. Plants are never too young for light. Just don't put them too close, and keep a dome on them and then ween them off the dome after a little bit. I like to err on the side of caution so I usually take the dome off for an hour and see how they react. You can even put them in soil and cover them with a clear plastic cup to creat the humidity dome for them. Then slowly take the dome off for a little while at a time. Never too young for a lot of light though. Just don't let them burn and keep them moist. 

9. heat is a bit over-rated though. It can be 95ish and the plants still be fine. Just keep them watered as it will evaporate faster. Heat/Cold is over exaggerated though. There's surely an ideal spot, but you can go above or below without too much issues. That's for soil anyway. Hydro you'd want to keep the grow space cooler for the sake of the water more than the plants though. Seedlings love it warm though. Humid too. Hence a humidity dome is a great idea. 

10. #10 Doc-J, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    honestly ive seen the exact opposite results. My plants seem to grow much slower in high or low temps. Humidity i really dont pay much attention to and they get removed from the tray/dome the same day they sprout.

11. I'm not saying you want it a steady 95 or anything, but if it gets up there a bit sometimes (or down lower thans 75 for that matter) that's natural. Growing outside you'll never keep the temp consistent anyways and there's plenty of days it's hot out during the growing season and outdoor plants do just fine. The only thing I've really noticed as far as temps go is when doing hydro you need to keep your solution temperature down otherwise the roots can rot. I havent seen too much issues though. Especially with cold, some strains really like it. It could be somewhat strain dependent though as well. Some like cooler temps, others warmer, others neutral. I think with any strain it comes down to learning how to grow that one as others may or may not grow the same and like the same conditions. Personally I don't worry too much about temperature and especially humidity. I prefer my humidity low, but don't really care either way. Temps a little different because if it gets too high they could scorch the plants rather quickly. Also comes down to how healthy they are as well. If they are over/under nuted they can burn much more easily from the added head. Nice, healthy plants though can withstand quite a bit and stay happy. 

12. Yeah, I agree with most of the other people who posted. Those seedlings are small for their age. You should repot them, and when you do, go for an airy soil, like FFOF or Happy Frog with some perlite in there.  I also run my seedlings under a 600w lamp from day 1, so I wouldn't worry about that, the more light the better unless you are putting three 1000w bulbs about 6 inches from your plants, that's bad news. Just use the common sense test. Put your hand near the top of the plants, if the back of your hand is uncomfortable due to temp/ proximity of the light, raise the light, that's always worked for me

That's why I love my upgraded hood. Keep the temp at plant level so much better. Doesn't have hot spots, or any of that. I can move my 1000W 8-12 inches away. I don't do that because it tends to light bleach the plants a bit, but Love that I can keep my light closer with it. Best money I've spent.