Are these male preflowers?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kanvict, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Are those male pre flowers or am I seeing things?

Attached Files:

2. Can you get a better picture?

3. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19356558" timestamp="1389940347"]Can you get a better picture?[/quote]Are those a little better? Strain is green cheese. It seems to be especially from the last two pictures but I'd love a second opinion.

Attached Files:

4. Any ideas guys?

Attached Files:

5. I'm not seeing any male parts.

6. How long is it in veg? Can you find this part on your plant?

Attached Files:

7. Been in veg a month, but my other two pre flowered in 3 weeks... I just put them into flowering now. I'll keep updating pics to get a second opinion on gender once it shows fully.Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. [quote name="lilredrice" post="19357796" timestamp="1389970413"]How long is it in veg? Can you find this part on your plant?[/quote]Nope not seeing that but one of the little bumps I THINK has a white hair emerging. I might be 3 for 3 female, let's not jinx it though... although I do spend a lot of time with them so they probably have enough of a male influence :D gonna turn my HPS on in like an hour to see how they're doing after the first night of darkness.

9. That is NOT showing any signs of male preflowers.  This is how I learned: If white crystal covered hairs start growing out of the nodes then you have a female.  If little balls that look like green spider eggs show up, thats a boy, and must be culled.

10. #10 Guest55445566, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Crystal covered white double hairs = Baby Girl

11. Updated pic. I hear crab claws means it's a male.. can someone confirm from these pictures?

Attached Files:

12. I'm 90% sure that's a male... can someone please confirm so I can remove it from my tent and focus on my two females... what can I do with this male plant at this stage?

Attached Files:

13. Male or hermie? Trying to provide pics as clear as possible phone is having focus issues. Anyone?

Attached Files:

14. I definitely looks like a male flower but hold off on the chop. Do you have space to separate it out and collect pollen?

15. Id lean towards saying male, however I'd wait to make any definitive action. Also don't take into account the stigma (those 'crab claws') they grow on every plant male or female. What you're looking for is a little tear shaped bulb between the leaf stem and the main stalk.

Since it's such an early preflower there is no risk by letting it wait to develop more, I wouldn't cut it just yet.

16. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19360197" timestamp="1390003655"]I definitely looks like a male flower but hold off on the chop. Do you have space to separate it out and collect pollen?[/quote]You mean keep flowering it but separately? I've read people collect pollen, what's the purpose of that? To make seeds after I'm done with harvest :S? It's starting to look more and more male, maybe even a hermie... I can tell because the two balls are quite distinct and my females were definitely not claw shaped... any chance claw shape can be a female? Should I flower this one separately with CFLs?

17. More pics. So leave it in tent to preflower more? I'm a noob at this but after going through like a hundred pics, I'm 90% sure that it is a male. Please advise.

Attached Files:

18. Its a male, if you have no interest in breeding or the genetics are nothing special then keep it around to look at then chop it and fling it in the hash pot.

I do some breeding every year and have many crossroads in my grow.
    I have white rhino autoflowers, super nova, Hawaiian skunk, lights a jah, bubbliciouse. I am waiting to cross breed a few and do selective polination by hand. Just pollinate one lower branch on some of the prime looking plants.

Iv done hand pollination for years with great success.

19. How do you store the pollen, just in a bag in the freezer? Also how fresh does it have to be for it to be viable? I've often only been able to actually collect pollen from males that preflower after I cut them and they are dried. Does it need to come from a fresh flowering male to breed good seeds?

I've been wanting to try some breeding for myself especially now that I have access to a good selection of a stable strain to use, but I don't really have space to flower the males. I can't put them in with the girls because I want to control the pollination, but the only other grow space I have is the veg area for mothers, clones and seedlings. I could switch that to 12/12 for a while but I wouldn't be able to keep strains I don't have seed stock for alive.

I store it in a pill bottle and use a q tip to pollinate with.

I like to use pollen up after 90 days. It may last longer under proper conditions.

Growing a male is so easy that fresh pollen is best. You dont have to baby a male like a female. Fling it in a closet with florescent lights, no fan no special care. No nutes, just water and light.

Once I gather the pollen in the bottle, I tag a branch with yarn or paper tag and pollinate just that branch with the q tip. No fans running. and give it a few days. If you pollinate a lower branch, you can harvest the plant and chop all of it but that lower branch and let it grow for 8-10 weeks to make sure you get mature seeds. The seed plant can be pushed aside, no special care, just a little light and some water.

Now you just cant be a clutzy slob about it spilling pollen into the fans and shit. :D Then you can grow what is called "seedbud" LOL
    I have grown whole crops of seeds, makes for just enough leftover to make some hash after the seeds are removed.