Are there any theories in science or physics that you don't agree with? which one's and why?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by trevorjohnson32, Mar 10, 2021.

1. But if the moon was tidally locked, and the days got twice as long the moon cycle would also get twice as long. So there would be half as many days and months in a year. So there would still be roughly 30 days (48hours) and just 6 months per year.

2. Measuring time in months or years is confusing when those things aren't constant.
    I agree with everything you say in your last post.

If days got twice as long, there would be half as many "NewDays" in 1 earth orbit as the "TodaysDays" of right now.
    But measured in "TodaysDays" one earth orbit would still take 365 of them until the much slower tidal locking of the Earth-Sun system happens in about 50 billion years.
    But the sun will have become a red giant, and fried the earth long before then, about 5 billion years from now, so no one is likely to be around to see it.

3. Right. That was why I added the hours since that makes sense regardless of the other variables.

I was just making sure I was thinking of it correctly.

4. Interesting stuff, thanks for the info.

5. Pi is easily measured.
    1. Draw a circle of any convenient size
    2. Fit one piece of string around the circumference exactly, then measure its length
    3. Fit a second piece of string across the circle so that it exactly equals the circle's diameter, then measure its length.
    4. Divide the circumference by the diameter to always get 3.14, not 4.
    Only in a warped space created by a strong gravitational field will pi be different from 3.14

Although pi was first discovered by measuring circles, it plays a giant role in many, many different areas of math and science.

For example Euler's identity [​IMG] relates pi to imaginary numbers and also to e, the base of natural logarithms, 2.72

I might be missing something, but pi=4 is silly, and would have led to a completely different universe.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. It has to do with kenetics if I recall correctly.

Basically anytime in reality you transform a line to a curve or vice versa, I think the point is that it becomes a cycloid equation since it involves time/movement.

But yes the static relationship of diameter to circumference is 3.14.

So the moons orbit has a radius is about 239,000 miles but its orbit would require a cycloid equation, we couldn't calculate it with PI.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pi handles cycloids and time variation just fine.
    Apparently the author doesn't know how.
    This video only proves that his steel ball partly slid down the plastic tube.

There is exactly one pi that works correctly in both static and dynamic situations.
    This video does harm by presenting silly, unscientific info.

It is this "static pi" that's omnipresent in math and science.
    There is no such thing as a "dynamic pi."

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. #28 gumbygrow, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    What I mis interupted as a circle, is actually a spinning line where the velocity of the outer endpoints differs depending on the length of the line.

Edit: another way to look at it. If you have 2 planets, one close, the other further away from the sun rotating at the same rpm the outer is travelling at a higher velocity than the inner.

9. I think part of the point of pi=4 isn't that the diameter isnt 3.14 of the circumference, but really that a line and a curve really can't be properly converted between one another, I think because a line has a constant velocity vector and a curve has a constantly changing velocity vector.

I'm not sure though, I am not a math whiz.

10. There is more to pi than just circles, as I pointed out above.
    If pi were to equal 4, all of math and science would come tumbling down.

Stubbornness plus ignorance is required to believe pi = 4.
    Anti-science conspiracy theories like this are harmful to society, the conspiracy being "those scientists are conspiring to fool us into thinking pi = 3.14, when it's really 4."

"pi = 4" and "storks deliver babies" are equally valid ideas.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. #31 gumbygrow, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    I apologize for my stupidity, I was told many years ago by a well respected machinist that speed and feed calculators are based on pi. Many google searches will say engineers use pi to calculate speeds and feeds used in machining. These notions are apparently wrong. Surface speed converted to rpm is based on the number 4 and actually have nothing to do with pi. Where Norsemythology pointed me helped me realize that.

Edit
    Upon more searching it is based on pi. Surface speed known as surface feet per minute to american machinists is calculated at 3.82 which I have always rounded to 4. This is based on a more complex formula ( sfm x 12) ÷ (dia x pi). I should have done more research.

• Like Like x 1