Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Are there any permanent adverse effects from heavy mj use?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by unactiveaccount, Feb 28, 2010.

1. #1 unactiveaccount, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    Well, I've recently discovered Marijuana. I bought my first 1.5 grams of Virginia Headies the other day and I've been quite pleased with the highs. Honestly, I enjoy it enough to want to continue using it - but not if it means I will seriously hinder myself.

I've done A LOT of research on the herb (I don't want to put something into my body that will permanently damage it). I've learned all the TRUE and basic facts about it so I wont go into it. There is one problem though: I haven't got straight answers about daily or heavy usage of Marijuana. I'm looking for a true, as unbiased as possible, answer. Are there any permanent adverse effects to daily smoking of MJ? Does the dexterity of your mind decrease permanently with heavy using?

Some have said no, some have said yes. One guy in particular responded "Just take a look at any old stoner on the street. Make the decision yourself - do you want to look like him?" No doubt that will come as an insult to some of you but I can attest that I've met some seasoned, yet intelligent smokers. I've also researched and discovered that many of the side effects (such as trouble with learning) will dissipate after the THC is out of your system.

So what do you guys say? Please give reasons for your answers. I have little doubt I will be the only one enlightened.

2. #2 eLe, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    Well weed isn't bad for you to put it in plain text.
    There have been no leads to death from marijuana period.
    But with cigarettes serving as 4 million deaths a year you can scale it down to see how bad the herb is.

Some of the effects from smoking heavily honestly are (for me) ..

Life goes by quicker.
    Smoke is smoke so obviously it affects the lungs, BUT does not cause cancer. (Risk of black lung)

That's all for me.

Btw bud, don't go off of looking at old stoner hobos. Hobo's are just failures in the beginning because they usually fuck up in the beginning and as they are failing they smoke weed. Has nothing to do with the weed ^_^. But if you look at me for example, I smoke weed daily .. I play 3 varsity sports, I have a good job, I have a girl friend, I'm well liked at school and have my parent who loves and cares about me. Weed is just something I like to do, it's my choice and I do it cause I want to do it.

After all that I should post how weed helps me ..
    Helps me sleep - Insomnia runs through my moms side.
    Helps me eat - Adderall can be a bitch.
    Helps me concentrate - I've got great grades.
    Makes me so much more calm.
    Geeking out = Smiles = Happiness. ( Isn't that what we strive for in life? )

3. marijuana is one of the safest medicine/drugs known to man. marijauna is also one of the most researched drug in the world. studys show marijauan can effect short term memory while it is in your system, but it is not permanant nor long lasting. it has actually been found to stimulate brain activity and growth. scientific research has also proved that heavy marijuana users on average live longer than non users. non users have a higher risk of cancer on average.

the way it is used is really the only health concern with this plant. smoking out of a blunt/joint is bad for your lungs, smoking in general is bad for your lungs due to carinogens that are in any burning plant matter. but there is also no evidence to link marijauna use to lung cancer. if you think about it, when you smoke a cig you are smoking alot of plant matter. vs. when you smoke .2 of weed. marijauan use is found to actaully be benefital to your health. but you dont have to smoke it, if i were you i would invest in a vape or experiment with edibles if you are that worried. if you want to learn a littl more about all of the benefits read grannystormscrow list in the medical marijuana section.

4. I don't know about permanent and I'm not sure what you'd call heavy mj use, but I smoked an eighth every four days (UC Santa Cruz, weed capital of the US college system) for a semester. It's now a good four months later and I still have some pretty significant short-term memory loss. It's nothing debilitating, of course, just mildly irritating, but I'm in Boston now, and I damn near don't smoke at all. But the memory loss is still there.

Everyone's different though.

5. nope.it is most likely your perception. all the thc is completely out of your system in 4 months dude.

6. #6 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    Slight build up of tar in lungs, possibly decrease in lung capacity. But that cones from smoking ANYTHING.
    The exception with smoking cannabis is that that it is anti cancer, thus it's not cancer causing, and won't cause ANY disease of any part of the body.

Just don't smoke blunts(tobacco is very bad for you) and be sterile as possible when using, just like you would with food. Check out the Properties of Cannabinoids PICS sticky in Medical Marijuana subfirum, and The connesuirs guide to enjoying cannabis sticky in Seasoned Tokers.
    Here they are: http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/283036-complete-connoisseurs-guide-enjoying-cannabis.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/373071-properties-cannabinoids-pic.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/278158-research-studies.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/436257-granny-storm-crows-list-july-2009-a.html

You can avoid smoke by investing into a quality vaporizer(check out fuckcombustion.com

Pm me with any questions you may have.

EDIT: just put in the links

7. Eh, might gain a little weight if you get the munchies a lot? I myself have a shorter and not so great memory, but it's nothing life-changing lol, and it seems like it's only when I've been smoking or smoked earlier in the day do I not remember things.
    On a sober day all is pretty normal.. I been smoking for a solid year and a half, and had been smoking on a semi-regular basis for about a year before that.

8. Well of course the THC's out by now, but memory loss isn't a necessarily direct effect of THC hanging around. I don't think the mechanism of marijuana-induced memory loss has been figured out yet. (I could be wrong)

9. Thanks for the great comments guys.

10. What? Weed helps you concentrate? I bet it's the adderall brother.

As for my advice, smoking everyday won't kill you and you can slide by an do an average job with life but I don't think if someone is an everday stoner that they can truly reach their potential. I speak from personal experience, this is why I don't get blazed everyday now. And I have never met an everyday stoner who has good motivation.

The best thing to do is to learn how to respect the herb and use it in moderation.

11. You are going to become a DUMBASS
    [​IMG]

12. The only short-term effects are hunger (lol) and short-term memory. You can't remmeber most things while your high, and you won't remember them later.

The long-term effects can be lung cancer (smoking, but that takes a long time obviously) and short-term memory. Personally, I smoke alot. And I do have to double-think usually every day or every other day on at least one occassion. Just can't be as quick as I was before. Not much of an ADVERSE effect, but its still not good.

Yet I still puff. :)

13. A renewed appreciation for life, music, sex, and anything you normally like is suddenly a million times better. Oh and a cough. That's about it.

To put it into perspective, I don't do anything that'll be potentially bad for me. I don't even drink anything with caffeine in it any more. I'm a daily toker and after daily smoking for a year I have a minor cough (not even an involuntary smokers cough though, I just force myself to cough as it's a good way to clean out the lungs).

14. While the smoke won't cause lung cancer, it will eventually coat your lungs in tar and other byproducts of combustion. However, if you use a vaporizer or edibles, you don't have to worry about this. THC itself has never been proven to bring any permeant adverse health effects.

15. Depends how mentally strong you are. I've been smoking for two years, and when I can't smoke for a week or two at a time, I tend to be more bored. I don't get suicidally depressed but I will mope around wanting a toke.

If you smoke at night for a week straight, when you run out you won't be able to sleep. And when I say that, I mean sleep aids might not even work. To the contrary smoking in the daytime only won't effect your sleeping habits.

These are the only things that might change you. I would much rather smoke grass instead of take any prescription medicine when I have an ailment.

16. If you watch the Montell Medicinal Marijuana episode, there's a guy on there who has been smoking 10 government issued joints a day, with no recognized ill effects. He works five days a week as a very successful executive. And frankly, 10 joints a day, DAYUM SON!!!

17. At the moment, its really difficult to say the effects marijuana has on a person over a long period of time. Although many people are seemingly unaffected, true information and support will only come with time. It seems like we are gonna be the guinea pigs for it.

18. You're basing this off of prohibitionist statements/propaganda. Cannabis has certainly been around long enough, as well as studied enough, for us to know of it's long term effects.