Are the emerald tablets true?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dankzombie, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Are they true or just another hoax?

2. whats an emerald tablet?

3. Here is a link if you guys want to read them. They are ancient tablets about a dude named Thoth aka Hermes and they deal with all sorts of wisdom.

The Emerald Tablets of Thoth

4. i need a green emerald rolex

5. #5 1Trismegistus1, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011
    I cannot tell you if the Emerald Tablets are legitimate, but they do contain some legitimate information.

The Emerald TABLET (singular) of Hermes, however, does exist and was found and has many translations, Isaac Newton even translated it. I have a book with a bunch of different translations of it, and they vary widely. It's cool because as I advance in Hermetics, each time I go back and read it I have a different way of understanding the meaning.

Here are all the translations that I have.

Emerald Tablet of Hermes

My personal favorite is

1) True, without falsehood, certain, most certain.
    2) What is above is like what is below, and what is below is like that which is above. To make the miracle of the one thing.
    3) And as all things were made from contemplation of one, so all things were born from one adaptation.
    4) Its father is the Sun, its mother is the Moon.
    5) The wind carried it in its womb, the earth breast fed it.
    6) It is the father of all ‘works of wonder' (Telesmi) in the world.
    6a) Its power is complete (integra).
    7) If cast to (turned towards- versa fuerit) earth,
    7a) it will separate earth from fire, the subtle from the gross.
    8) With great capacity it ascends from earth to heaven. Again it descends to earth, and takes back the power of the above and the below.
    9) Thus you will receive the glory of the distinctiveness of the world. All obscurity will flee from you.
    10) This is the whole most strong strength of all strength, for it overcomes all subtle things, and penetrates all solid things.
    11a) Thus was the world created.
    12) From this comes marvelous adaptions of which this is the procedure.
    13) Therefore I am called Hermes Trismegistus, because I have three parts of the wisdom of the whole world.
    14) And complete is what I had to say about the work of the Sun, from the book of Galieni Alfachimi.

edit: I would like to point out, that although they are often attributed as the same being, the Greek God Hermes is not the same as Thoth. Hermes Trismegistus was an actual man, who was then deified by the Egyptians as Thoth because of the knowledge and power he possessed. Hermes the Greek God isn't quite the same being, though they do share some similar traits.

If you'd like to read another legitimate work by Hermes, then get the Corpus Hermeticum. The translation I would go to is a black book titled "Hermetica" vol. 1. It has the ancient Greek and Latin side by side with it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hermetica-Vol-Religious-Philosophic-Trismegistus/dp/1570626308/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324587054&sr=8-3[/ame]

6. Emerald as in the colour or the mineral?

7. either way they're a good read

8. Yes, Emerald as in the work that I posted was etched on a slab of emerald. There is a mythical 12 (i believe 12, perhaps more) emerald tablets buried underneath Egypt in various areas (much of ancient Egypt is undiscovered due to how much the landscape changes from sand shifting, there are cities underneath current cities that we will never know about because it would require destroying the current city to dig it up.)

Whether they exist or not I cannot say.

9. I thought Hermes was a reincarnation of Thoth? I'm currently reading your post tittled Life and Death, the supposed "unknowable" and i was wondering if you could give me the list of books you said. Supposedly because of my birthday i am a hierophant, what could you tell me about this?

10. I was trying to research this but got sidetracked when I found the owner of the website.. and found this:

Ellie Crystal's Biography

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsmyTzWFC4c]The Metaphysical Experience Interview with William Cooper Part 1 of 4 - YouTube[/ame]

:laughing:

Now, Idk about the validity of these tablets or the website itself, but I thought this was pretty funny. Pretty sure the interviewee was stoned.

11. Well, you are not a hierophant lol. A Hierophant is the leader/teacher of a spiritual lineage, a very high Adept who has attained to very high states. For example, my Hierophants, though only currently in a state of Gnosis due to having not yet re-attained to their previously attained states, will be in Henosis in another 5 years or so, and can achieve that state at such a young age because of achieving it so many times in the past.

If you are talking about Tarot, I do not know much about it so I can't help you there, I know there is a Tarot card called the Hierophant though.

And, as it was given to me before being accepted as a student....

*The Tree of Life, by Israel Regardie
    The Art and Meaning of Magic, a collection of papers by Israel Regardie
    The Kybalion, by Three Adepts
    *The Key of the Mysteries, by Eliphas Levi
    *Transcendental Magic, by Eliphas Levi
    *Higher Worlds, by Rudolph Steiner
    Corpus Hermetica, by Hermes Trismegistus
    *Studies in Occultism, by Helena Blavatsky
    *Teachings of an Initiate, by Max Heindel
    Isis Unveiled, by Helena Blavatsky.

Apart from these, other books you would do well to read in order to best formulate a complete understanding of hermetic science would be:

Magick in Theory and Practice, by Aleister Crowley
    The Teachings and Work of an Initiate, by Dion Fortune
    Psychic Self Defense, by Dion Fortune
    On Animal Magnetism, by Anton Mesmer
    *The Etheric Vision and what it Reveals, by Max Heindel
    The Rosicrucian Mysteries, by Max Heindel
    Ancient and Modern Initiation, by Max Heindel
    The Emerald Tablet, by Hermes Trismegistus (must be read)
    The Lemegeton of Solomon, by King Solomon
    The Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, all three books, by Abraham the Jew
    The Equinox, Book 4, by Aleister Crowley

This is a somewhat random selection of readings in order from beginning material to more advanced material (particularly Heindel's work), and then ending with a book which contains a large selection of actual events in the field of occultism that is highly informative for any student. After reading these, you should be ready to read, in this order for best understanding:

The Great Work/Art, by Joseph Pernety
    The Three Books of Occult Philosophy, by Heinrich Cornellius Agrippa

At this point you will have a practical understanding of the many aspects of hermetic science, and so you should begin to read Initiation into Hermetics, by Franz Bardon. This book is much simpler than the others, and far more profound and practical for the student. However, with the knowledge that has met its fruition through all the previous books you will be able to read between the lines in this one, know instantly the many implications of all of his statements, see the true uses and value behind all of his exercises, and know by what means the basic principles he provides in this book may be extended.

Now this is not to suggest that all of this has to be done for good understanding. Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics can, without harm, be the very first thing you read, and in this way you will have something good to actually practice with and apply while you are working on expanding your necessary theoretical knowledge. However, if approached in this means the entire book should be reread some years later after other learning has occurred, for a more complete understanding of its contents. By the time all of this has been read and understood, you will possess the key to understanding true alchemy, and so you may read the following and understand them well:

The Aphorisms of Urbigerus, by Urbigerus the Wise
    Aurora of the Philosophers, by Paracelsus
    The Book of Vexations, by Paracelsus
    The Twelve Keys, by Basil Valentine
    The Secret Book of Artephius, by Artephius
    Natural Magic, by John Baptista
    The Treasure of Treasures, by Paracelsus
    The Archidoxes, by Paracelsus
    The Six Keys of Euxodus, by unknown.

Somewhere amongst all of this you will want to begin to study the Qaballah, and you may begin this lengthy and exhausting task wherever you desire, but it is necessary for a full understanding of the mechanisms of magic and how they may be applied practically. For this purpose, you should read the following:

The Mystical Qabalah, by Dion Fortune (345 pg.)
    The Secret Wisdom of the Qabalah, by J.F.C. Fuller (92 pg.)
    Elements of the Qabalah, by Eliphas Levi (25 pg.)
    Sepher Yetzirah (23 pg.)
    Sepher Bahir (59 pg.)
    Kaballah Unveiled, by S.L. MacGregor Matthers (182 pg.)
    The Zohar (24 volumes)

Disregard the *'s, those were my own addition for books that I had already owned/read at the time.

12. #12 Sam_Spade, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
    Why would anybody ever bother etching anything on a mineral like emerald? It is terribly unsuited to performing archival services, being a relatively very brittle mineral.

Also, where would these emeralds come from? Emeralds don't really grow as "slabs".

Where is the source of this myth? Who put them there, why, and how do we have any knowledge of what they contain if hidden?

There are various deep tunneling excavations under Cairo. Modern city structures make things expensive and slow-going, not impossible. If they is solid historical evidence for their existence and location, why doesn't somebody corral together some historians and research associates and see if they can scrape together somel grant money?

In my opinion, that's a waaaaaaay more useful way to know things... By finding evidence, rather than speculating.

Whether they exist or not I cannot say.[/QUOTE]

I say the same about virtually everything. I think it always useful to utilize the null hypothesis when in tentative doubt.

13. #13 dankzombie, Dec 23, 2011
    Well i felt like a Hierophant for a bit haha I found it weird because i researched that word a day or two before i found out it was my tarot card due to my birthday.
    Now i see why it takes around 5 years, that's a lot of books! haha
    So for example, in the Emerald tablet it says that words can make things happen. Words like "Zin Uru" how valid is this? because i attempted it but there was no reaction, I'm guessing is while in a state of deep meditation?

14. That is another very high technique, practical Kabbalah. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God". It is being able to pronounce a sound or formula of sounds (YHVH is a kabbalistic formula, but also the name of a God as well) on all 3 planes of existence at once, and is known as the Creative Word, the way "Om" is the sound of creation in Hinduism. It is referenced in the Book of Revelations when it talks about Jesus coming "with a sword in his mouth", and winning the war with speech. The sword is the symbol for authority, and what more divine authority than for your words to be immediately causal. I've only seen it demonstrated once and it's jaw dropping, then again just about any act of thaumaturgy is mind blowing because even as someone who believes in such a thing, it still takes away before it sinks in as reality.

Reading will get you nowhere in the grand scheme, it is about practice. Some theory is needed in order to know why you are doing something, but a lot of theory is just idle curiosity at the pre-Initiate/Neophyte level.

For the person who has achieved Gnosis many times, it usually takes about 10 years to reattain it. Achieving Gnosis "quickly" is considered achieving it before the age of 70, if that gives you any idea of what an achievement Gnosis is. If you combine the time it took you from your first incarnation as a human to the first time you reached Gnosis, it takes about twice that to reach Henosis, Henosis being complete God Union whereas Gnosis is God-Consciousness. I had it put to me like this. "If the distance from mundane existence to Gnosis is from our Earth to the Sun, then saying Henosis is as far away as the next galaxy still does not do it justice".

15. Just like mantras then, the vibrations from the words are what makes this occur?
    I would like to know how old i really am, is there a formula for this? you said people would be shocked to know their real age but I'd like to know how to find it. Oh and thanks btw for the list of books!

16. A mantra is different than kabbalah, but in the earliest stages it serves to focus the mind on God. It also helps to draw spiritual energies into the location one is sitting in and spiritualize the location, which is why it's good to have a room/area totally dedicated to spiritual practice so that the energy will accumulate there.

Mantras can be tricky though, some of them are "cursed" and will cause problems if not properly pronounced, which is why students of mantra yoga in India go through about 4 years of linguistics training before being given there first mantra, and also mantra yoga is a very specific science. They gather a ton of information, specifically astrological information, and then the guru crafts a mantra that is completely specific to the student.

The om namah mantras are safe to do, or like the hare hare krishna ones. The Gayatri Mantra is cursed, and rather useless anyway because there is a mantra that must be pronounced perfectly just to "unlock" the gayatri mantra lol. I personally use Theurgic mantras to Dionysos, but that's just my particular conception of God that I feel drawn to.

As far as calculating true age, there's really no way to do it (there's a kabbalistic formula to gain that knowledge though lol). Once one hits Gnosis they will know and remember most of their incarnations, so that's my only advice. Being able to pronounce the kabbalistic formula would take years, you'd already be in Gnosis by the time you were able to start applying the creative word anyway.

The ONLY way to directly observe and gain the knowledge of things you will read about in those books is through practice, and when you find a true Hierophant they can bestow some experiences on you as well. "When the student is ready, the Master appears."

17. Oh cool, I've heard of Om Namah before specifically Om Namah Shivaya. So they are not "cursed" in their nature but by pronouncing them wrong, one creates a curse right?

That sucks! i really wanted to know my real age haha I'm guessing you hit Gnosis since you know your real age and remember some of your incarnations no?

18. #18 1Trismegistus1, Dec 23, 2011
    The Om Namah ones are safe even if you mispronounce them.

I am not in Gnosis yet, no. I remember a few incarnations, only bits of them, and if I said I remember my real age in some other thread it was me being foolish and arrogant in thinking I knew much more than I did back then (though I can't remember if I did say that, since I don't remember a time that I ever thought I knew my real age lol), I had a rather powerful ego trip for a time during that period where I was posting threads about various things. Since finding true Hierophants I have been greatly humbled in exactly how little I know and how low I stand on the ladder to God. I may still come off as a know it all, I guess it's just in my writing style, but I keep it to things that I have been taught that I know are true, instead of jumping to conclusions that my educated guesses were fact like I used to.