Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Are Strain Reviews Necessary?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sharkwave540, Dec 15, 2015.

1. After considering the array of variables one must face when growing dank bud, I have to wonder if strain reviews, such as those from a site called Leafly, are any relevant? There is so much that goes into growing such as lighting, temperature, pests, male plants, what type of soil being used if any at all, curing, etc which all stems into whatever you end up producing. Especially reviewing the phenotypes (smell, color, etc) I feel are pointless for the same reason, perhaps more so now that the weed can at this point go into the hands of anyone capable of causing further degradation. It's not like a movie or a video game where anyone can experience the exact same product consistently.

Don't get me wrong though, I do enjoy reading up on all the different strains out there and learning about their parents and so forth. But maybe you can enlighten me.

2. Of course they are necessary AND relevant, you are way overthinking this "each grow is different" as being one in the same as the genetics and chemical makeup of a particular strain. Oh yeah I get it, I get clippings from my dispensary and my bud is way better than theirs but in the end I just smoke less.

One thing you are forgetting there my friend. People use those sites for specific ailments and not just to see what gets you the highest. My wife looks for strains for migraines and not anxiety.

Exact same product consistently? You can not always provide that from grow to grow I know I can't. One time I almost ruined a crop and it suffered. I should have started over because the harvested bud looked (and really was) weak.

One other thing. We buy based on reviews and our bud tender's opinion (she has migraines too), then we try it and if it is really good we grow it. Usually from clippings from the same dispensary. We have to yet grow a batch that wasn't exactly what we tried earlier with the one exception of always being stronger and much less harsh. The genetics are the same but we prefer our growing and most definitely our curing.

3. They're not "necessary" but they're valuable IMO. It's just people reviewing the strains they smoke, no harm

4. Oh I know there's no harm in reviewing strains, I'm just wondering if they're legit considering I've had completely different strains of Northern Lights from Seattle and again in SD.

Thanks for the replies so far

5. Personal experiences and opinions will always have their differences and similarities. Having a general grasp on the overall depictions of the buds you don't have in hand at the time can be useful for background checks, if you will, of the desired strain of weed. Over time, you may even start to identify with particular effects with certain name brands of weed that you are certain you have obtained before in the past. For instance in my experience, I have had Sour Diesel several times on many different occasions, and I can distinctly note the difference in feel of the Sativa dominant head-trippy high, vs. a standard favorite of mine Bubba Kush that gives a for certain couch-lock body buzz. Being able to identify with your plant's genetic makeup can greatly enhance the experiences you gain from enjoying the strain you choose, if you have that luxury.

[​IMG]

6. It all depends on the grower. Even dank strains can turn out shitty if someone fucks the grow.
    But if the strain is grown to its full potential, then it should be similar to online reviews.