Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Are Screens Unhealthy???

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by II HUFF II, Nov 4, 2008.

1. I have heard some rumors of the metal screens producing harmful fumes and such when exposed to the heat/flame while smoking...Is this true???:confused:

2. Nope, not true.

3. all metals have different melting points at which it is possible for some of the particles to become airborne and settle in your lungs or anywhere on the way, but usually these are at least 1000 degrees so I think people worry about it a lot more than they need to assuming it's a pure metal screen. although, some might have chemical additives that can cause a health risk (like some aluminum foil)

4. Also, they are make for smoking out of, thus one could assume they are safe to smoke out of.

One could also make the argument that without a screen you are inhalilng many more carcinogenic ash chunks, which are more unhealthy then if the metal was able to release harmful fumes, which they wouldn't in the first place because of both the 2nd guy's responce about the melting points of metals, and the first line in this post.

5. Alright thnx for the responses, I'll try them out and see which method I prefer, screen or nug plug.

6. You could always use a glass screen. :)

7. Yeah I heard about the "new" glass screens in my local smoke shop and they sound bomb, but the fact that glass screens are made makes me wonder if the metal/aluminum ones are in fact bad for you...or else why would they use glass???

8. ive been using metal screens for 95% of my smoking carrer. Metal pipe metal bowl. metal everything. I really hate using glass because i hate gettin scoobie snacks. i havent noticed any negative effects of using a metal screen and if i did i would of stopped using along time ago.

Also the reason i use metal pipes is because they are interchangable with my bong and other pipes. so if i dont wanna be hittin my pipe any more ill just transfer the bowl to the bong. or maybe i dont want the last few black hits from the pipe so ill switch over to the bong. So many options that you just dont get with glass.

9. Ur thinking of tinfoil that is bad to smoke out of. NEVER make a tin pipe

10. Alright thnx a lot for the input, so do I just put the whole precut circular screen in the bowl before the weed or should I cut it to only slightly bigger than the hole???

11. if the metal screen turns red, then its a problem. but then if you're torchin the bowl that much, you've got problems as it is

and just use the whoile screen, it'll conform to the bowl

12. metal screens are fine, if its a bong i normally prefer not to have a screen but thats just me since i suck the bowl thru normally :S

13. i would assume many people would be dead if that were true. but i take appart the end of faucets in public places like fast food and it is a free copper screen.

14. I use metal screens (brass & steel) for my bowl.
    What you do is take the screen between your thumb and pointer and bend it in half a little.
    Then turn 90 degrees and do it again. (You make a slightly indented + symbol in the metal)
    Then it's much easier to insert the screen into the bowl.

Then later on, usually when it's hard as fuck to pull from it, I'll fish out the screen with a little screwdriver and clean it off. Sometimes not tho. Screens are pretty cheap, I get like 20 for a dollar or something at the headshop. So instead of cleaning the screen (rubbing between fingers to break off particles and then hold it with tweezers and torch it for a bit) I'll just replace the entire screen and toss the old one.

15. coppers bad to smoke from period^^

16. I've heard copper screens, if not burned first, can be unhealthy, but I've never looked much into it.

I've actually never used a screen in my glass sherlock (not sure if this is a common thing or not, but it's what I do) and I've never had any problems with sucking shit up through the pipe. I know this is due mainly to the shape of a sherlock though.

17. Ive actually smoked straight holes through quite a few of my screens after long use

whatever though :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. dude, you use a screen to smoke. Smoking is unhealthy. Bam. Moving on.

Also, no, it isn't true. Screens themselves aren't unhealthy to smoke, but aluminum foil is.

19. U dnt have to be a smartass, EVERY one of my friends does NOT use a screen and I realize smoking is unhealthy but that is a sacrifice wouldn't u say? I would just rather not add another thing to the list...would u do meth if someone told u its ok cuz u already smoke weed?

20. No, what I'm saying is that you're already inhaling smoke, so you shouldn't be too worried with if a screen is harmful or not. I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. But yeah I forgot to say that copper screens burn through to fast, and are REALLY bad for you. Just like smoking out of PVC.