Are ROORs worth the money?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by new buddy, May 3, 2010.

1. I tried to post a nice, long, detailed thread about my situation but then it wouldn't go through

Right now: no piece
    Few months from now: CA-CHING $400
    Decision: Ounce vs. Half Oz. and RooR
    Circumstances: RooR been sitting in headshop for years, gunna try to talk the guy down from $325 to around $250 for a yellow label about 18 inches.
    Dilema: are roors (and any high quality bongs) worth the money and what makes them worth the money if they are. I've only ever hit a shitty $25 dollar bong in my almost 3 years of smoking... Yeah it's embarrassing.

2. ROORs are quality pieces, no doubt about it. There would be no reason to be dissapointed with the purchase of one. However there are a number of other brands at that price so don't limit yourself.

3. what I'm really hoping to get out of this thread is this: what are the pros to buying a RooR (or like posted above, any high quality piece) rather than just a $50 bubbler (aside from the looks and "prestige")????

4. ^^
    Dont limit yourself to just RooR there are tons of other great brands. If the only high end tube in your lhs has is that one RooR thats been sitting there for years you might wanna find another dealer, because chances are it's fake. But to answer your question, in my opinion, yes RooR's are worth the money. I've bought two of them so that can tell you right there i loved my first one. Be sure it's real though, thats the only thing dont wanna get caught up with a fake RooR if RooR is what you decide on. Just do your research and dont get screwed.

5. #5 Citizenk, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    RooRs are great, but like Gigglin said, don't limit your options. There's tons aof great glass in the 250 price range, look into getting a tube with a perc, or a single chamber with more diffusion than a RooR.

That being said, if you're set on the straight tube, you can get a GonG tube that will function exatly the same for around $80. look into SSFG on etsy for that. It won't have the name brand appeal, and it won't have the excellent quality control of a RooR, but it will get teh job done to the exact same degree =)

P.S. -I find the difference in smoking out of high-end glass WELL worth the money, I'd rather have a gram and a toro than an eighth and an acrylic piece anyday.

6. dude just get a sick bong. you will NEVER regret it.

7. i say you go for it dude. try to haggle to get it for about 275. after that buy a half and some munchies and get fucked:bongin:

8. -you wont break it unless you try to, or your being super irresponsible if you do break it
    -you get a better smoke every time
    -In my experience people always tell me they have never been as stoned as they are after hitting my bongs...always
    -It's fun to own and appreciate good quality glass, not just some chinese mass produced piece of junk
    -If you drop more money on a piece, you will appreciate it much more than you would a generic bubbler that you could just go buy anytime, so in turn you'll e much more careful with it and enjoy it much more
    -It has that wow factor with anyone you smoke with who is not used to highend glass like yourself

9. #9 new buddy, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    I will definitely be looking at the sticky for the fake vs. real RooRs before I even consider walking in there and handing the guy my money.

The more likely explanation for it to have been sitting there for years is that the headshop it's in is a very small place with mostly no-name bongs. The majority of the people who go there are dealers looking for bags and scales, which is what the shop mostly caters to, but they do have a decent selection of bongs, bubblers, and any other type of pipe. Also, I live on Long Island so most people go to Gotham, which is a nationally famous head shop among glass connoisseurs. They carry everything from Illadelph to Toro to RooR. Every brand name bong you can imagine and they have some of the sickest glass I've ever seen. Only problem with them is they're a bit pricey and I'm on a budget here.

edit- now that I think of that I might just hold off on the bong and save up my money till i get around $600 to spend on glass and get a really sick toro. but i'm a bit weary of spending that much on glass as we all know what happens when you bang it against something.

10. not in my opinion...

11. i wouldnt get a roor. because there overpriced theres better options around that price range

12. I think RooR's are cool; however I think bongs that are like $200-$600 just a waste of money.

I do think they're worth it though, I just wouldn't pay something that high for just a high.

13. I just want to say I disagree with this post completely. Sorry, I just have to say it. Right now, all my friends I smoke with have high end bongs. Only one of these is a name brand and it is a toro.

First off, the first point made above is incorrect. I say this because you do not need to buy a name brand piece to get this. My Gong, which is twenty inches is nine mm glass all the way through. There is no way I am going to break that. It is a piece blown by a guy who is pretty local to me.

For the second point made, I do not see how this can be true. I have hit bongs like toros and roors and honestly, I think some of the best ones are the ones blown by private blowers who you can actually talk to about the piece.

The same goes for the third point made.

For the fourth and fifth points, just because a piece is not a name brand (roor) does not mean it is not quality. I can honestly say that I believe my piece would outlast yours. Also, I am sure that someone like the OP who has never had a piece before would appreciate any bong he got.

For the final point made, I say that a piece like mine (which is just a clear beaker bottom 9mm 20 inch bong) would have the same wow factor. If you think about it, how much better would a roor actually be than a bong like mine, which I got for 175.

I am not saying go buy a cheap piece. I am saying, look at your options, especially look for some local blowers you can talk to and if you dont know where to find any talk to the people who work at a headshop near you.

14. does this look like it's worth the money to you?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i can pm you a site which has Toro 12" 8-arm tree perc and diffused beaker for $310

i can vogue for the site, i've purchased salt slides from them before.

15. A bong is a tube that smoke passes through.

There can be variances in the length, width and thickness of the walls of the tube.

Some are glass, some are not. Some are laboratory style, (like roor) and made in europe. Others are the same style and made in china.

Sometimes people blow them out of hunks of glass and stick all types of beads and shit to the sides.

I've been smoking pot for about 17 years. And I've smoked all over the world, and yes I've smoked many roors, so don't try and discredit me on this shit.

What it comes down to when purchasing a pipe, almost every time, is aesthetics.

I cannot understand how 2 glass tubes, made in 2 different countries, as long as they're the same height, width and thickness could be any different functionally. If you read the posts above, you'll note that no one else can either.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm the asshole who goes and pays 3 grand for a les paul and $1000 for a 15 year old used tube amp. So it's not like I'm some kind of cheapskate.

But at the same time, I think it'd be silly of me to try and create a sales pitch to justify my expenditures.

Sure it's nice to have something expensive to show off and boost your ego.

But I mean, a bong? I can't believe how many people have religiously bought into the hype.

Give me a fucking break man.

Just go out to the store and look for the one that appeals to you the most, and fits into your price range.

If you fill it up with weed smoke, and you pull that smoke out into your lungs and it doesn't get you high....I will personally paypal you a refund for the amount of the bong you purchased.

Who the fuck are these guys talking about chinese glass isn't as good?

Are they racists? Are they bigots? Are they bordering on some kind of pothead nationalism?

Totally retarded.

16. i 2nd this. weed is weed and the bongs price wont get you higher.

17. roor's are a higher quality then chinese glass, what's the difference between a walmart guitar and a les paul? they both play music... maybe you should just practice more and make the walmart shit sound and look good.

18. Theres tons of different companies and tubes out there. Honestly id say forget roor. They have been surpassed by companies like syn, luke wilson, toro minis, itza, stone glass works or if you can find them used sg. Roor is a quality company dont get me wrong, but for a plain straight tube thats way to much.

Check out gotham and talk to people there. Pricey or not youll be a lot happier in the end going there than a place with one roor thats sat for years.

That guys point is true about glass breaking thickness does matter but as long as your not stupid thickness should never come into play. Its not hard to just be careful with your glass. Its simple, if your too stoned leave it for later.

As far as local blown being better sure itd be nice to be able to talk to the person who made your tube but that doesnt make it hit better, smoother, or superior in any other way than a cool conversation or possible customization/repairs if wanted/needed.

Id say take your time and check out glassdistrict.com and learn your stuff about tubes before you settle on something. Youll be shocked at whats out there.

Buying a tube is like buying a car, you really get what you pay for. Some stuff looks nicer and some stuff runs smoother. Its all what you prefer. Just do your homework.

19. A chinese bong is on the level of a chinese guitar... No racism, bigotry, or stereotyping. Its just fact that glass from china is mass produced with much lower quality standards. Theres obviously a reason you've chosen established american companies for your guitars and amps vs something made in china. The same principal applies to bongs. Not trying to be a dick but musics music and bongs are bongs, except thats not true at all. Just as those guitars are different the bongs are different too. Just as different guitars have unique sounds and styles of play so do the different bongs. Each has a unique hit to it and little things that make it different than other similar tubes.

20. as i agree with OP getting Toro mini, i'd still say RooR always has it's foot in the door with straights and beakers. Don't forget about all the kustoms they put out, i don't think i've seen any worked kustoms as dope as a RooR.