Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Are Purple Urkel, Lavender & Purple Nepal Actually The Same Strain?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Justin SanDiego, Mar 31, 2012.

1. According to a friend of SubCool's, Purple Urkel, Lavender and Purple Nepal are all the same bud with different names... What do you think?

GRAPES OF WRATH

\t\t\t\tFrom Purple Urkel to Grape Ape to Lavender, violet-colored cannabis varieties have piqued the interest of many ganja growers in the last several years. American seed breeder Subcool investigates the facts and the myths about cannabis strains that naturally turn purple as they mature.

\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tby SubCool \t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\tThu, Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm

Purple Urkel is a clone-only strain that seems to be the rage among medical clubs and cannabis connoisseurs. Danny Danko asked me to do some research on the popular strain and report on our current project using an Urkel clone mother. Purple Urkel is known for growing somewhat slowly, but its other traits make it very desirable. It turns an amazing purple late in bloom, possesses the most amazing grape/lavender flavor and gives a nice strong stone. But where did it come from?

Purple Urkel or Humboldt Purple (a.k.a. Purple Urple) has been growing in southern Humboldt County since approximately 1989. The Mendo cats are responsible for renaming it “Lavender,” among several other names. A good friend, White Trash Redneck, has grown the Mendocino Lavender cut side by side with the Humboldt Purple Urple/Urkel-as well as the Bridgeville Black Afghan, Nepalese Purple, Pakistani Purple Kush and Tooty Fruity Purple-and he swears they're all the same cut, renamed.

White Trash Redneck also went on to tell me that the Humboldt Purple cut seems to be an old-school IBL, or Inbred Line, making it ideal for use in breeding projects. He's bred more than 20 Urkel hybrids and has been impressed with all of them. I've discovered quite a few other Purples that are likely the same cut as well, going by such names as Garberville Purple Kush (a.k.a. Swerve's Cut), Mendocino PK and Kyle Kushman's PK. An Internet source I'll leave unnamed says about Kyle's PK:

Kyle Kushman's “Purple Kush” is the plant that made Kushman famous after a photograph of the Kush made the cover of the New York Times Magazine about 12 years ago.The magazine is not a weed-centric publication, and the article stated how much real money is made by indoor gardening based on black-market forces and the technology that was in place then (grow lights, seeds, hydro systems, etc). In the article the grower (presumably Kyle) states that the plant was found in a group of Northern Lights x Purple Indica seeds. Kyle was living out east at the time and soon became a writer for HIGH TIMES.

I would assume that the Mendocino and Garberville versions are the exact same, as this is prime herb-growing country here in North Cali, and it would be really easy for one grower to give a clone to another fellow grower. The Emerald Triangle (Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties) is known for the quantity of MJ it produces, both indoor and outdoor.

HIGHTIMES.COM > GRAPES OF WRATH

2. Grapes of wrath is 1 of the best movies ever made, thats all i know dude.

3. I've grown a couple of those stains and smoked a lot of purples. They aren't all the same.

4. They are quite similar.

5. I have heard they or some are different phenos of the same strain, and heard they are all different. I wish I knew though....?!?