Are Pot Plants Extra Thirsty?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Seven Wishes, Jul 13, 2012.

1. I grow a lot of different types of plants, both in ground and in pots...tomatoes, peppers, flowers, pomegranates, squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, etc etc etc. I am wondering, however...are marijuana plants especially "thirsty" plants that either use or perhaps respirate an extra heavy amount of water compared to some other plants?

I ask this because it usually seems like the marijuana plants in pots on the porch dry out more quickly than other plants in the exact same size pots, getting the same amount of sun each day. The other plants seem to need less water than the pot plants, which seem to dry out pretty quickly in comparison.

Do any of you have similar experiences? Do pot plants use/lose water relatively quickly compared to some other plants?

2. My flowering plants in 5 gallon pots will use up a gallon of water in about 36 hours. I think it would be safe to assume they use more water than the average vegetation, especially in the latter stages...

3. #3 Doc-J, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    Honestly I would say compared to a lot of other plants cannabis requires about medium watering. You want it to dry out a little in between waterings. Two or three days is not bad. Compared to a large variety of vegetables and flowers that do best watered daily and say peppers that prefer almost drought conditions Mj is pretty middle of the road.

4. I agree with medium watering if you are worried about over watering you can have just a little extra perlight and that will make the soil hold less water thus not allowing over watering but be careful to not under water then... lol best wishes