Are my parents being responsible?

Discussion in 'General' started by foamyys, Apr 10, 2013.

1. I will cut right to the chase. My brother is 16 and a junior in highschool. He is not in regular classes, he goes from 12-4 because he skipped school for 6 weeks and is now in a program to let him learn on his own pace.
    He has a shit homelife, not many friends, and the clique he is in all took hits/tabs of unmentionables. They aren't good kids, mostly troublemaker group.
    My brother, has shown multiple signs of a troubled homelife and is slowly starting to act out accordingly. Most recently he started chainsmoking and he pierced his lip with a needle last week at 3am. He has flat out told me he thinks about self-harm every night and that he is thinking of running away because of my parents' abuse.
    Neither my brother or I talk to my father, who sleeps on the couch every night. My mother is constantly raping both of our self-esteems, but I will focus on Andrew's some more.
    My parents' 'parenting' is pretty much: ignore all signs of trouble, never show affection, rarely have an actual coversation, punish, punish, and restrict everything they see in my brother's life as 'enjoyment'. They take his laptop every single day, not for limiting purposes, but for the "fuck you" effect, they took his phone, and his tv, his xbox, and whatever else.
    My 16 year old brother spent his entire day in his room vegetating today and I am worried something is going to happen. My mother caused me to be an inpatient a few months ago for over a week, and my only signs were depression. My brother on the other hand punched a door last year and broke two of his knuckles while my dad was verbally abusing him- so he is much more.. spur of the moment than I am.
    As for the abuse my parents lay on my brother: things said are along the lines of
    "I wish you would have fallen off the roof and broken your neck" after he found some cigarette butts in the gutter.
    "You're a waste of life"
    "I go to work everyday to support scum like you"
    Things of this nature every single day of his life. I need some help guys to help support my younger brother in a time like this before a serious consequence takes place. What can I do? I

2. OP fucking step in wow tell your parents to their face they need to lay off of him they dont even seem like parents, just teenagers that get a kick out of fucking with their own son, fucking step in like a man and tell them what the fuck you think and tell your brother to get off his ass and try to get out of the house(out of high school and make something of himself)

3. Hell no man your parent is fucked up. Why dont you guys try to find and job and rent a apartment together. Talk to your bro explain how you feel about his friend and be there for him man because it seems like you all hes got.

4. Does he have any money? work a job? etc?

how'd he get the xbox, cellphone, tv?

5. you can get a serious infection piercing your lip.id tell him to take that shit out

6. The xbox and and tv are mine that I gave him. The laptop he got for christmas one year. I know everything about this living situation is completely fucked, but I don't know if he is too naieve to realize it. I don't want him to be scarred and have a corrupted outlook on life for the rest of his because he is forced to grow up in a household where the spouses hate eachother and just creates a plethora of the worst vibes.
    He can't get a job at 16 in Illinois, so he doesn't have money. I can't provide for him because I am only 19 on a minimum wage because my parents bought thenselves a pair of motorcycles with money that should have gone to my education.

7. That's fucked. I'm sure there's some way out of it, but I sure as hell couldn't tell you what it is. Whatever solution there is to be figured out, rest assured it's going to be a long, difficult, and painful road.

I'm going to tell you that probably the only way is to find some way that the both of you can pull your funds together and get the fuck out of there. Find a skill that you can use to make money, dedicate yourselves to a trade, something like that. You'll be scraping by but maybe you can make it work.

Barring that, I think you should contact protective services on your folks on his behalf. He is still a minor and they are still obligated to provide for him. Normally I wouldn't suggest this because tossing a kid into the system sucks too, but in this case it sounds like he'd be better off with no parents at all.

8. This makes me laugh.

God forbid your parents spend their hard earned money on themselves. What makes you think they're entitled to spend it on YOU and YOUR education?

There's plenty of different loans out there for you to take advantage of. I've succeeded in life with very little help from others and that includes putting myself through community college and a university.

As for your brother, I know 16 is a rough age, but I don't feel any sympathy for him. That's the cold hard truth. He skips school and hangs out with a rough crowd.

Whose fault is that??

Seems like you're quick to blame your parents when they've done their job. I wouldn't let my kid have an xbox/internet/phone either if he was behaving like that.

I know people that have gone through 10 times what he has gone through and still did things with their lives other than "vegetating".

9. Sounds like my family.