are my lights enough

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by peenutt00, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hey everyone, ive read alot on here and learned alot so thank you all. i got a few babies in soil under 4 - 2ft 20 watt bulbs. so thats 80 watts cool fl. its been about thrii weeks and they are still small. some are on their thrid set of three leaves but the leaves are small. some are on their second set of leaves but are much bigger and darker leaves. i have a 400 w hps for flowering just waiting. the fl lights are on 24 hrs a day. do i need more fl light or just go to the hps and f*** the fl lights? all help appreciated

Peenutt00:confused_2:

2. Damn thats a sticky situation. We would have to know a little bit more about conditions, climate, medium, nutes, grow area, etc. I guess if it were me I would move them under the 400w hps and try to keep the fluoro's in there. I know its said that hps will make them more elongated, but I have had good success vegging moms for clones w/ a 360w conversion hps.

3. Without pics its hard to say, I think you have enough light for 3 weeks, how close are you keeping them? Whats the exact color temp of em?

4. climate stays between 70 - 80 from day to night. its a closet so pretty insulated wit rooms on all four sides. the medium is ferry morse potting MIX. i mixed worm castings in the potting mix, so i have NOT used nuts yet. i have miracle grow all purpose plant food 24- 8 -16. now i hear miracle grow sucks so i prob wont use it. grow area is 4ft wide 3ft deep and 4ft high (makeshift closet but light light). the plants are next to that on a dresser with the fl tubes about 2 inches from top of tallest plant( which is only about 2 in. tall itself. each fl tube pack says 1200 lumens and 4100 color temp. there is four tubes.

the plants look good. leaves are up, color is consistant green all over. i see some thread that show amazing growth in two weeks and mine are a fraction of the size goin on four on sat.

hopefully thats enough to help you help me. any other ques. please ask. ill do my best to get the info. remember this is a first grow so they are bag seeds from decent nugz.

peenutt00

5. Heres a great thread from a respectable grower, GG, on that Miracle grow plant food. You may be presently surprised with its results.

6. Go ahead and get that HPS up and running, you can veg under that light no problem by now. It will boost your plants growth by alot. You'll see a big difference in everything; color, size, etc. You can switch to flowering whenever youd like.

You can also find good priced nutrients at your local hydro-shop. If theres no hydro shop, a nursery will have organic plant food you can get that will be fine. Just give them love and everything else that they need and you'll get some quality product.

7. thanks for the info. ill try out the hps and see what she got. ill post it here in a few.

8. peenutt did u check out that thread made by GG on miracle grow plant food?

9. Agreed! WAY more lumens! I would also suggest (unlesss your on a budget) to get an mh conversion bulb for veg.

10. i did. that blue powder is the same stuff i got. im gonna mix some in next time i water and see. thanks for the page veo.

11. ok so i moved everything to the 400 hps and my two smallest shriveled up last night. they still feel soft so im wondering if they will survivr or not. i think it was just heat shock cause they were the youngest. does this sound right to anyone?

12. Yea, thats why I didnt recommend slapping the 400 in right away. Dont get me wrong, the more light the better, but if you dont know what ur doing, fluros are forgiving.

13. i had them about 3 ft from the hps too. do you think i should put them back under the floros even though the floros are way too weak. i want to eventually keep the moms under floros but at the rate they were growing, they would take forever to even go to flowering.

14. personaly i would keep the floro`s on them until they are well established and hearty, are they stretched? just keep the floros within 2 inches of the tops of the plants and they will stay nice and squat, unless well ventilated the hps will cause alot of heat issues you wouldnt want right now

15. I agree, i have both and I still use fluros until they establish growth.

16. thanks for the help. i realize my color temp is 4100 and the lumens are 1200. so i have 4800 lumens of floro light . from reading gc threads( thanks again to all) i see my color spec. is way too high for veg. and my lumens are way too low. im gonna try to get some of those twistie cfls from home depot. they are 2700k and push 2600 lumens each. maybe this is why my veg stage is taking soooooooo long. but for now i hope the floro tubes i got will save my plant.:confused:

17. For Veggings, Daylight is Best (6500k) if memory serves right!

And coolwhite (3500k) for Flower

18. see somewhere else on gc i read that 2700k is what you want for veg. and about 5000 lumens per plant. i got the 400 hps for flower so im not really concerned eit that as much. i just need to help the veg process and i keep reading completely diff. ideas for light lumens and color. i want to correct the issue before my little ones die.:(

19. Merfolk is right, higher for veg, lower for flower.
    400 is the wattage of your hps, which has a color temp of around 2700 or so.

Color temp is in K
    Wattage is in W
    and Lumens is in L
    All 3 are diff things.

20. Thanks Anony. that was the part that confused me. i think i got it straight. i saw a nice cfl at 1000bulbs.com. its a 105w(FLO. WATT) 6300L and 6500k. i think one of these in my setup will do just fine according to these numbers.