Are most stoners athiest?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Canadian Bud, Oct 6, 2010.

1. I hope you're not trying to say that being an atheist somehow makes you smarter then someone whos religious, because thats probably the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

I'm not really an atheist, but I'm also not religious. I was born a Roman Catholic, I've been baptized, confirmed, I've had all my sacraments except for last rites and marriage. I do believe that there is a "God". Theres always something bigger. I don't however believe that this "God" is anything like any human has pictured. If it does exist, its clearly beyond our comprehension. As far as I know, every religion is very human based, and this is my issue with religions. They're just a reflection of our own vanity, we tell ourselves we're made in the image of God to make ourselves feel better. The only other thing I've seen in religions, is people unable to explain things and just attributing it to God or other mystical forces, unfortunately science comes along and shows how most of these things work, leading more and more people to become atheist.

I also don't believe in mass, or the majority of the stupid religious ceremonys/practices. If there really is a God, the only reason to worship such a creature would be that its ultimate perfection. If they really are perfect, they don't want us wasting our lives worshiping them, requesting us to worship them is very vain, and thats a purely human quality.

2. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I'm catholic, so I guess you could call me a minority in this case. I don't think smoking really reflects the religion or beliefs of anyone I know, everybody I know has had a specific religion before they started smoking and it has only enhanced it.

3. I grew up Mormon and I'm an occasional pot smoker. I think that if God didn't want us to use it why would he put it on this earth, make it grow in every region, and make it one of the easiest and most helpful plants to grow. Marijuana has so many benefits that we can use, and I feel that it's one of God's favorite plants. I'm not religious in the sense of organized religion, I don't believe that other people should tell me how to believe. But I would say that I believe in God, I believe in an afterlife, and I believe all religions are equal in deserving everybody's respect. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean you shouldn't respect others beliefs. Religion helps a lot of lives find peace, others find peace in what God has given us, i.e marijuana. I don't think God would come down and say not to smoke pot, nor would he say that we should. He wants us to make our own decisions and live our own lives, do good, receive good. Might as well take advantage of the heavenly herb he has let us use.

4. im anti religion, i dont think man can comprehend what god is and anyone who says they know whats going to happen after death is a liar. no one knows, its an unanswerable question.

5. [quote name='ZipLockBag']I hope you're not trying to say that being an atheist somehow makes you smarter then someone whos religious, because thats probably the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

I'm not really an atheist, but I'm also not religious. I was born a Roman Catholic, I've been baptized, confirmed, I've had all my sacraments except for last rites and marriage. I do believe that there is a "God". Theres always something bigger. I don't however believe that this "God" is anything like any human has pictured. If it does exist, its clearly beyond our comprehension. As far as I know, every religion is very human based, and this is my issue with religions. They're just a reflection of our own vanity, we tell ourselves we're made in the image of God to make ourselves feel better. The only other thing I've seen in religions, is people unable to explain things and just attributing it to God or other mystical forces, unfortunately science comes along and shows how most of these things work, leading more and more people to become atheist.

Agreed, I don't think any man should try to explain the origins and nature of an almighty being. Humanity is imperfect, along with every religion started by humanity. Which is all of them.

6. Why is it necessary for Atheists to bash religion? Most stoners, I believe, even if they don't agree with you, won't bash Christianity, Rastafari, Judaism, Islam, or any other religions over your head. If you wanna hate on religion go on an radical Christian forum and do it. It's just unecessary to classify all like...90% (number off the top of my head) of the world as stupid because YOU don't believe in religion.

If you don't believe what I believe, don't put me down because of that. That goes for all religions. Maybe I hold my beliefs in God(s) just as much as you believe there is not one. Somebody might come in here going "if i evr met u i wud beat ur azz dude!!" And you're gonna go "but your religion says you can't, hypocrite." Wars have been started off of that stuff. When it comes down to it, people are people, they're gonna protect what they believe if they believe it strongly enough. Just watch what you say.

Quite frankly, I also don't believe that this is the right section for this question. I belongs somewhere else where I don't check everyday where Atheists can get together, laugh about how much smarter they are than the rest of the world, and talk about how organized religion is a joke even though it is imppossible to say that religion is not important. Maybe not TRUE, but certainly IMPORTANT.

7. You'd think most atheists would be religious...praying for a bountiful harvest! Amen! haha

8. #28 hurb1, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
    I think there is a correlation. When you become an athiest you must first question the consensus religion that most people believe..."is this real" In most cases of cannabis use the user had to question the consensus that all drugs were bad...."will this harm me?"
    In both instances it required somebody who asked questions and didnt just accept what they were told as fact.

9. Personally, I think weed has very spiritual properties. I mean, Rastafarianism is a whole religion tied to weed.

I don't think the link between drugs and atheists is any more complicated than the fact that organized religions tell their adherents that drugs are evil. Plus people are less likely to mention religion if they do believe in it when toking. I mean, even a die-hard Christian is unlikely to talk about Jesus to his friends while he's stoned, for fear of being judged by other stoners OR other Christians, right?

10. Not me. Don't subscribe to religious tags though.

11. I agree to some extent. I'm no means a religious man, but just to be the devils advocate :hello:...

What is perfection? You just defined perfection. You, a human. Perfection means whole or complete. Therefore wouldn't a perfect God be both vain and not simultaneously?

I'm baaaaaaked.

12. for now? you either believe in religion or not in my case im a christianity folower and into buddhist philosophy and ofcoarse a joint smoker:smoke:

13. nahh i believe in GOD =]

14. Though we aren't perfect, and no one can ever be, somehow we know what perfect is. I believe this was one of Thomas Aquinas' (maybe someone else, I don't remember) arguments for the existence of God, simply saying that the idea of perfection must have been placed in us by a perfect creature as they would be the only one who could truly know such a concept.

The way I'm using perfection, is the complete absence of all the faults that seem inherent to the physical world. Disease, pain, sadness, vanity, greed, corruption, all of these could not exist in a perfect being. If a God does exist, this creature would transcend the physical world, which is why I say we can't possibly comprehend such a thing, thats like asking us to comprehend a 4th dimension, no matter how much we try, no matter how much we explore the subject, we will never be able to understand.

15. Sometimes I speak very philosophically about religion when I'm high. I guess it helps to have friends that usually agree with me about God and Jesus and religion and such. Great conversations, you always feel enlightened and lifted after those.

16. No rastafarians here? :hide:

Anyway, I believe in GOD (Jah), and he created marijuana (and everything in nature) for a reason, and we use it, just like vegetables, or any other fruit.

Take care! :wave::smoke:

17. You make me think:smoke:.

I know some very healthy, happy, humble, giving, honest people who dedicate their lives to helping others. Are they perfect? By placing traits in a God, you are trying to comprehend a God. When, as you said, a perfect God is beyond comprehension. I'm not gonna say never, but I believe that no one will likely begin to define God with accuracy.

Furthermore, the idea of perfection varies from person to person. If a guy believes his wife is absolutely perfect for him, that doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Hitler believed a certain race was perfect and tried to eradicate all others. Although I believe there are some traits of perfection that less than 1% of the world would disagree with, there are far more, more precise traits that would vary.

Lastly, who says God has traits? Maybe those are just human ideas. Is perfection the absence of all traits therefore making God complete or perfect? Every person has to make a decision for themselves. Many choose to follow guidelines put in place by organized religions, but in the end, it's all personal choice.

18. this.

And for the OP I'm not sure. I was atheist before weed and still am.

19. JEDIISM. it's the truth yo'. lol but forreal most of the people i chill and smoke with have no religious beliefs...so i guess most of us are athiests

20. ^^^ In bold.