Are more cannabis cup winners dirt grown or hydro grown?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BenReal2020, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Which is going to be better for potency - Soil or hydro? Or better yet, are most cannabis cup winners hydroponics or soil grown?

2. I think they have categories for hydro and soil Indica and sativa. If they don't have method categories they should.

I would say for potency and flavor its easier to achieve success with a organic grow. The most work involved is mixing the soil, after that its just wait and water. Botanical teas and serums are just extras, although they are great there not a MUST.

And I know this Is an absolute fact. Two plants of the same strain cut from the same mother grown in different mediums using different methods will have completely different results, taste and density being the most obvious.
    When you smoke your organic water only buds with a conventional bottle using marijuana grower or friend, there instantly envious. They now want what you have. You tell them you hand mix your soil, and never ph or mix anything from bottles in your water, and on come the questions. They really don't want to mix all those different bottles and chemicals and test ph, ppm, ec and whatever else. Putting your plants in pots placing them under the light and watering every week is much easier not to mention safer for the environment.

BeZ...V

3. Did a little searching. It's a tough question. It seams the organic entries always say there organic, the others don't. For some reason chemical growers are not always willing to tell you there exact winning methods.
    Some cups have a Indica category a sativa category and a hybrid, while others have a overall as well.
    The emerald cup is outdoors organic only I think.

Gonna do some more searching.

BeZ...V

4. [quote name='"BeZtoken"']I think they have categories for hydro and soil Indica and sativa. If they don't have method categories they should.

I would say for potency and flavor its easier to achieve success with a organic grow. The most work involved is mixing the soil, after that its just wait and water. Botanical teas and serums are just extras, although they are great there not a MUST.

And I know this Is an absolute fact. Two plants of the same strain cut from the same mother grown in different mediums using different methods will have completely different results, taste and density being the most obvious.
    When you smoke your organic water only buds with a conventional bottle using marijuana grower or friend, there instantly envious. They now want what you have. You tell them you hand mix your soil, and never ph or mix anything from bottles in your water, and on come the questions. They really don't want to mix all those different bottles and chemicals and test ph, ppm, ec and whatever else. Putting your plants in pots placing them under the light and watering every week is much easier not to mention safer for the environment.

BeZ...V[/quote]

I did a side by side with a friend, same strain except he used 2k and I used 1k of lighting.

Water only me, fully hydroponics him.

Lets just say I helped him set up his first Craigslist adds.

5. [quote name='"SoooHaggard"']

I did a side by side with a friend, same strain except he used 2k and I used 1k of lighting.

Water only me, fully hydroponics him.

Lets just say I helped him set up his first Craigslist adds.[/quote]

Lmao, did you at least reuse his light set up? Lol

6. [quote name='"SeanDawg"']

Lmao, did you at least reuse his light set up? Lol[/quote]

Haha yea, and the difference is insane. The extra 1k all organic is turning out some good stuff, too bad he's all about auto flowers.

7. How do they go about proving where and how it was grown???Indoors vs Outdoors???

8. ugh, an absolute abomination.... ruderalis' should NOT be watering down the genetics...
    I detest autoflowers

9. Winning the cannabis cup doesn't take skill, it takes deep pockets.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Organic versus non-organic is inconsequential in the hands of a grower who knows how to grow a cannabis plant and use their horticultural skills properly. And organic versus non-organic is a matter of personal taste or medical need. We've all smoked non-organic cannabis that surely passed all the taste tests et al. and that we might have thought was "the best".

Withstanding politics and whatever other items are considered mandatory to win a 'cup', in the end it all depends on the genetics of the plant. These genetics can be quality-control created or are perhaps a result of dumb  luck by a tent grower. IOW, it doesn't matter how the genetic code got there per se, it is the genetics of the plant first, environment second, and all other required indoor/outdoor grow variables following. Creating an environment where a plant can reach its full potential is critical or even the best genetics won't reach their cup-winner potential.

Genetic supremacy is key to "cup" winners. Dumb luck or not. Organic winners versus non-organic winners fall into the "all other required indoor/outdoor variables".

And then of course there is the so-called judges panel LOL.... I think it would be a good strategy to have the soon-to-be 'winning entry' sampled about halfway through the judging tasks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    A direct quote from my 1988 SSSC catalog (Super Sativa Seed Club). "At S.S.S.C., we have had several years experience with the Ruderalis and have come to the conclusion: The Ruderalis is a shit variety." They have more to say, but that one sentence sums it up quite well.

I agreed with this 26 years ago and my opinion hasn't changed.

No big surprise there, especially when endorsements, sponsorships and advertising $$$$ came into play, by the second Cup at least.

On the very first sentence of Possuum's post. The very best smoke that I ever tried was an un-named strain-hydro grow. The guy who grew it, if he was a cook, would not be watching The Food Network looking for tips, but would be the star of one of the shows. He really had a gift for growing.

Wet

12. It's funny you say this. A friend of mine in Seattle co-owns a dispensary with a gentleman (I will leave un-named) who also runs a cannabis magazine (that I will also leave un-named). This year the magazine named the "top 10 dispensaries in the state", and what do you know, the dispensary he co-owns was rated #1 lol.

It's the same shit with the cannabis cups. All you really need is a large group of friends in the industry and a good report with the judges. It's a crock of shit.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. Considering people have won with subdrool, duh rev, kushman's 95% organic circus, and hor-hay's advice, I'd be willing to bet some of the people on this board's herb is better.

14. Spikes and layers bro, spikes and layers. Lol

15. I'd love to see bluejay, coot, and invocation enter in a cup. Though I know you wouldn't catch any of those gentlemen anywhere near one lol.

I used to think that I wanted to attend a HT Cup and to also travel to AmStam, but having lived in MI for a couple of years and also hearing first hand reports from a couple of people who I respect that attended the HT Cup in Flint.... I'm glad I never went to AmStam (the Genesee County Compassion Club was good enough :smoking: ) and "The Cup" is just an orgy of people getting high and never taking their clothes off - bunch of stoned mofos running around LOL. 

I tell you another thing about "the Cup" that I learned from the GC3, you take one sick person with a virus, put them in line at any booth to take a toke, and you'll have 80% of the people there sicker than one would get licking their fingers after handling raw chicken within 2 days. That did, unfortunately, happen to me. I'm better now but I did get a right lower lingual hernia out of the deal. Phhhtttt!

17. I hate to think about how many illnesses I've received sharing pipes, joints, or blunts with people. I specifically hate the people who smoke with you then tell you after you've already shared with them that they "just got over a cold". This happened to me once turns out it wasn't a "cold" he had, it was pneumonia. Not to long after that day I ended up in the hospital to be treated for it. I missed 2 weeks of work and had to take out a loan to pay the rent. Some people dude.

Bham