Are Mechanical Mods Dead?

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Vicious, Dec 13, 2016.

1. #1 Vicious, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Are there any benefits to them anymore now that electronic mods have grown so much, I would love to hear what makes them special. I already have about $500 I want to spend on a couple new mods to custom and mix and match but there's this Templar mechanical mod that keeps catches my eye. I'm real big on the Deus Vult thing and it beckons me. I've seen "clones" for $30-$50 and what appears to be authenticate ones from the company ranging from $100-$200 depending on what you get and where. So what benefit are there if any aside from craftmanship, astehtic and swag?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the clone but if I'm getting a craftsman's piece I'm getting a real one, the two real ones above are about $250, the one requires contacting the seller to make to order.

Clones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's the deal with the Maraxus Mod?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, post fancy mechanical. Please kit it in the artisan category or something slick. Nothing under cheapo.

2. So I sent the company that makes the Templar asking to commission one or a custom. I want the Maraxus too, supposidly the clone is spot on but the gold plating fades. I do don't fakes though, this might be the only two mechanicals I ever buy.

3. Mechs are still around but not as widely used these days aside from purists and cloud chasers for the most part (though some of us just enjoy the way mechs hit compared to regulated mods) I mainly use mechs for the most part cuz I've had better luck with them holding up and their easier for me to maintain. My current daily use mechs are my right v2 combo, ameravape buster, Coppervape squonker and a couple others. Also got in a Emma clone in today and love it its a beautiful mod, pretty much almost all my mechs are clones but still work great(got a house payment and kids and pets to take care of) so $100+for a mod is kinda outta my pay range aside from tax time lol.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4. [​IMG]Coppervape squonker

• Like Like x 1
  5. Really can't decide if I want one, hell I might grab that cheap templar clone but I want the real deal so bad. That second one I posted looks..... interesting too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Trickydick666, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Honestly getting a clone is a good way to try before you buy the authentic(as long as it's a decent clone ) and drop a cubic fuckton on something you might find out you don't actually like

7. [​IMG][​IMG]

I love mechs. I'm a series whore. Definitely try a clone first. And look for one with a floating 510, so you don't have to worry about dead shorts. Something like the new rig v3 has a classic 510, making it easy to get rid of battery rattle and have a solid, safe connection.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I gotta learn to do my own coils.

9. It's super easy and way cheaper than buying pre-made

10. Well the tech is getting better and better with the box mods, that most of the big watts can compete with mech mods. I used to run an Apollo with a xv2 mutation and a hell's gate with the double rdas it came with, both were beasts and I do enjoy them from time to time. But everyone I know is switching to box. Try like the others said, do a cheap clone to see if you really like the mod, then drop the cash when your ready for the real ones. Enjoy vapin homie.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. I use a Noisy Cricket fairly regularly. It's a BAMF of a vape. I love it and I can't really see not having it in my rotation. That said, it's the only mech I currently own. I used to use them exclusively way back when mechs were as good as it got. But now, eh. Regulated mods have progressed to the point where using a standard mech just isn't worth it for me anymore.

The truth about mechs is that they're fiddly, and inherently more dangerous than regulated mods. You have to be willing to mess with them regularly, and you really have to know what you're doing. A vented battery is not a pleasant experience and it's a lot more likely to happen with a mech than with a regulated mod, due to user error. Mechs are not for beginners, or anyone who isn't willing to put in the time to use them safely. They're really more for hobbyists than your regular vaper. Even my Cricket I don't take out of my house. Not only is it a mech, but it's a two battery mod run in series. I've got to be careful with it, and I'm not prepared to take it out and about, and still use it safely (or be prepared to deal with any mishaps).

That said I can't really recommend you don't use a mech. As long as you're willing to take the safety measures to minimize risk. Heck, I use one. But you are going to need an ohm reader and a multimeter. You will need to test your atty and batteries regularly. There is no fail safe there to shut down operation if your build has a short. There is no fail safe to shut down operation before your battery is discharged so low that it's not safe to recharge. There is no fail safe to shut down operation in the unlikely even of an overcharged battery. You've got to check for yourself. And always ALWAYS stay within a safe ohm range for your batteries. Speaking of, not all batteries are created equal. Buy quality, from a trusted source.

Mech are simple by design, but much more complicated than regulated mods in use.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^ I mainly run mechs as I seem a bit to hard on regulated mods (drops, water, snow , general abuse lol) but I take care of them and ALWAYS check my builds and batteries especially since most of mine are hybrids ( it just kinda happened over time still have a few that have standard 510 but their dwarfed by the number of hybrids lol) I have 2 noisy crickets one that has the upgrade kit and one that doesnt.. these days the one with the upgrade gets used off and on but rarely leaves the house, and the other sits in its box.

13. Yeah I forgot to mention the Cricket is a....well semi-hybrid. A true hybrid is machined with the atty and battery tube in one piece. They're one of the safest mech designs possible. Though you do have to still check your batteries and builds.

The semi-hybrids though can be especially dangerous. Along with all the regular concerns that go along with a mech, you have to pay attention to the design of your atty as well. You have to have an atty with with a significant space between the connection plate and threading, so that there is no chance that the threading will make contact with the battery. This will cause an extremely dangerous short. It's also really best to have a peak insulator in that atty. Most attys meant for standard regulated and mechanical mods are a no go, because even if they aren't spring loaded, there is very little space to prevent a short, and the connection plate is too easy to push in. You really want an atty meant to be used with this sort of semi-hybrid.

I went ahead and bought the atty that Jaybo designed to be used with their Cricket. Funny thing was it costed about 3 times as much as the Cricket itself LOL.

Being a semi-hyrid mech with two batteries run in series, The Cricket is about as dangerous as they come. I probably should have made my disclaimer stronger. I have one. I love it. But this mod should in no way be anyone's first mech mod. I spent the 4 days it took me to receive the mod after ordering it on ECF learning how to use it properly, without blowing myself up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep, alotta people don't realize about hybrids and semi-hybrids. All of mine except my rig v2 clone combo (roughneck v2 rda clone) are all semi hybrid. I agree that mechs in general are not for beginners and definitely not for first mod, the problem is to many people just wanna "blow clouds" and super subohm right off the bat and use improper batteries and unsafe builds with little to no knowledge/understanding or research on the subject. It's scary really and quite dangerous to themselves and anyone around them, plus makes all of us look bad

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yup. The first think I think whenever I hear about an ecig blowing up is, was it a mech? As far as wanting to blow clouds, they should just get a regulated mod. You can get bad ass clouds with regulated mods these days. I mean, especially if you want to get really low into subohms, regulated mods really are just so much safer. And when you compare most mech mods to the better regulated mods available, you can safely go lower with regulated mods anyway.

I didn't get The Cricket to go low (there's a learning curve anyway, you gotta double the resistance compared to what you'd normally build). I got it for the raw power output. Even with the thickest wire available used at significant volume, there is virtually no ramp up time to speak of. That is bad ass. I was always walking a tight roap with the higher gauge coil wire. Because I really like the way it vapes, but ramp up time was killing me with anything of significant resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 9 out of 10 times its a mech and some noob who either used wrong battery with a build that exceeded the safe amp limits of the battery, or use gear in an unsafe way (great example was the dumbass who put a aspire Atlantis tank on a 4nine with the hybrid cap on it then blamed the companies for it) or you get the idiots who keep loose batteries in their pockets with their keys and change etc, or the people who don't use an ohm meter or regulated mod to check their resistance or for shorts..

Definitely agree that you can still blow awesome clouds as good if not better with a regulated mod especially if you know how to build right. I got lucky when I started building, I was on a few of the forums including ecf ( which while there was alotta great knowledge to be had there, there was to much bullshit from alot of the members as well wasn't really a real friendly community in my opinion) and the now defunct R-ECF Which had a awesome community and I learned a lot from (got my first mech and rda set up from a friend on there after talking about wanting to subohm lower than my vtr would go.after making sure that I understood ohms laws and how to build safely and that I had safe batteries I was pif'd a smok tech telescope mod and a igo-w rda with a .3ohm dc build in it).
    Yeah the cricket is definitely good for killing long ramp up times, my biggest problem was always being able to fit the builds I wanted into the rda's for it since your limited to 24/25mm diameter at most but it's definitely doable

17. I just stay out of the drama on ECF. I've worked in customer service too long for rude people to get under my skin :mellow: LOL. But it really is one of the best all in one databases for all things ecig around.

I used to have a battery safety chart bookmarked, but I always buy top end, top stats, with my batteries, and I don't like my vape so low with the subohms that it's ever an issue. I like mine between half an ohm and slightly under 1, depending on my mood (doubled for the Cricket of course). Big clouds aren't really my thing. I prefer throat hit and I accomplish that with a higher nicotine level. In my opinion (and just my opinion, it's completely subjective), I find the more throat hit from higher nicotine superior to more throat hit from lower ohms. Subohming supplies significant throat hit, but it just feels different. I can't really explain it. It's more like a numby throat hit, as opposed to a son of a bitch throat hit.

I usually run a 12 mg. Though I've done 18 if I really feel like some punishment (yes I dripped it). I'm also that weirdo that prefers a high PG mix. I will not use a max VG juice, and generally avoid anything higher than 50/50. Again I'm all about that throat hit, and PG just feels better. Also VG makes me kinda flemmy. I'd run 100% PG if it wasn't too hard to build a tank to wick it without leaking. I run the same thing in all my equipment because I don't like to mix up a bunch of batches for different equipment. Maybe my preference for PG comes from being an old school vaper when most juices were between 60/30 and 80/20 LOL.

As far as your building troubles, maybe try a bigger gauge wire? The thicker the wire, the less you have to use to achieve a certain ohm level. Also have you considered building non-horizontal? There's usually more space if you're building a slanted coil (vertical coils can work too, but the deck and need to even leads will limit you there). I went through a period where all my coils were, well not vertical, but slanted. I'd build horizontal to ensure even leads, slightly more raised from the deck than I normally would, and then turn the coil with my coiling equipment still attached. They took maybe a bit more fiddling to get to glow evenly, but it's doable. The only downside with these coils is that you'll either have to put up with pretty long wicks (which work fine, but you have to let it soak longer between dripping and vaping), or take the cap off to saturate the wick.

If all else fails look around for attys with a wider diameter. I haven't really looked because I'm happy with my atty for my Cricket. But I'd be surprised if someone didn't have one somewhere big enough for what you're after.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I'm looking for something artisan, like the first and last Templar gear in the OP. Any recommendations on that line? Those templar ones run between 100-200. I want something nice but I'd also like a hybrid or something more "daily driverish" also (meaning I'd get both). I need to learn how to do my own coils and all that. I've always just bought heads.

I'm addicted to this shit. I want tons of new gear.

19. Yeah you definitely have to learn how to build your own coils if you're going to be using mechs. Mechs really shine while dripping, and dripping attys don't come premade. And I wouldn't trust a premade coil on a mech anyway. Workmanship is often spotty. And as far as true hybrids go, you'll have to learn how to build. You can't change the atty. It's built in. If you're talking about a semi-hybrid like my Cricket, I strongly suggest you don't. At least not until you get some good mech experience under your belt. These types of mechs can be EXTREMELY dangerous. You really need to know what you're doing.

But whatever mech you choose, make sure you do your homework so that you know how to use them safely. Always know the limitations of your batteries, and ALWAYS run your coils at a safe Ohm for your batteries. Always test your coil for Ohm accuracy and shorts before use.

And might I suggest you get something cheap first? I mean it's fine to want expensive equipment and all, but you don't even know if you'll like them yet. Lots of people don't like mechs and for pretty good reasons. I suggest you get yourself a 1:1 Nemesis clone (Hcigar makes a nice one) and use it for a couple weeks. If you can't be happy with a Nemesis, you probably won't be happy with any mech. It's an old school design, but it's solid.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hey vicious you should probably buy an rda first and learn to build first. Then get a mech, it's easy to find shorts/hot spots/issues on a regulated mod while you figure it out.

• Like Like x 4