Are Ioffer Ti Nails Safe?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by canadiankush19, May 29, 2013.

1. I just bought one with a dome and drip adapter for $40. I was told its grade 2 titanium from him a few times

Is there any way to tell if the nails grade 2 titanium from pictures, or is there any way to test it once i have it?

Thanks guys

2. #2 TheHitman47, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
    It's hard to tell, thats why I always say to go with a brand name that you can trust, like Highly Educated, Do You Dab, Dab n Flow, etc. 

I've bought 2 different CHEAP nails from Ebay and Amazon. The heads on both the nails WERE grade 2 titanium, but the shaft and the adjuster were NOT. 

This isn't good because the whole nail, shaft and adjuster, will be heated up as well as the head. If the shaft is not grade 2 titanium and gets heated, it could produce unsafe fumes. 

It's really a crap shoot when you buy unknown cheap TI nails. 

Go with a brand name that is trusted. Do you Dab nails are $50, and worth every penny. You never have to buy another TI again, so go with something reliable from the get go. 

I'm not saying what you bought isn't going to be grade 2 TI, I'm just saying it's hard to tell and its better to be safe than sorry. 

EDIT: People will say there is a way to test it, with a magnet. But this way is unreliable as well. The shafts I tested on my crappy TI's were not magnetic, but further tests proved they were not grade 2 titanium. 

3. Yea i just have a feeling the entire nail wont be grade 2 ti, he told me it was but theres no certificate or anything

I hardly ever smoke concentrates, ive only smoked 1 gram of wax in my friends ti nail before. I really liked dabbing, and how high it got me so i invested in a cheap nail and dome

If the nail i get isnt any good i could always keep the drip adapter and dome, and buy myself a highly educated nail that will last forever.

Do u think its safe to use the nail from ioffer until i can save up for a highly educated one? Ill be buying some wax this week and really want to use it on my own nail

4. #4 Wiggibow, May 29, 2013
    Is there really any "hard" data out there on inhaling fumes of heated metals? from what I can tell there really isn't, but the hivemind seems to universally agree that Ti is safe and other metals are not.
    I honestly think even if only the head is titanium any chemicals permeating from the counterweight or the shaft are gonna be negligible, I was using a cheapo nail that supposably has a stainless steel body and a grade 2 ti head until i learned it MIGHT be bad for me, haven't noticed any immediate or long term side effects (yet), and yes I am well aware of the risk was (am) taking please don't try to lecture me.
    plus now i use quartz instead and like it a lot; though I would grab a Highly Educated V3 nail if i ever had the extra cash... i just like the heat retention of ti; i do occasionally "relapse" and go back to my old "dangerous" Ti nail from time to time when i want to take a FAT dab; sometimes quarts can lose its heat too quickly and ruin a nice glob. I've had to cut back on those though lol

5. #5 TheHitman47, May 29, 2013
    Just like titanium, there are a number of grades of stainless steel. Its my understanding that food grade stainless steel (grades 306 and 314), are inert up to 800 degrees F.

However, most stainless steel contains high levels of nickel and chromium (up to 30% chromium). These chemicals can be leached as toxic vapors once heated sufficiently, the fumes of which you would be inhaling instantly. When welding or working on smelting stainless steel it's important to wear protection and face masks when the steel is heated up to avoid too much chromium exposure, which is a carcinogen. 

heres the "hard data" I'm getting this from:

http://www.ttl.fi/en/publications/Electronic_publications/Documents/Stainless_steel.pdf

So overall, will using a nail with stainless steel shafts kill you? probably not, especially if you don't heat up your nail so much. But I'd rather be dabbing off of something I don't have to worry about like quartz or trusted TI nail sources. 

6. "Huvinen et al. investigated long‐term health effects among workers engaged in the
    manufacture of stainless steel in a factory an integrated with chromite mine, stainless
    steelsmelter and rolling mill (Huvinen, Uitti et al. 1996; Huvinen, Uitti et al. 2002). The
    study groups consisted of 36 chromite miners, 109 workersin the furnace department
    of a ferrochromium plant and steel melting shop, 76 workers from the sintering and
    crushing department of the FeCr plant, and 95 workers from a cold‐rolling mill. The
    average duration of exposure was 18 years in the first study, and the results were
    followed up five yearslater. The cold‐rolling millstainlesssteel worker group served as
    a control group, as the levels of chromium were low in that area of plant. The study
    focused on the relationship between respiratory health and exposure to chromium in
    the various processes. The results showed that lung function was somewhat impaired
    among the chromite workers, but no symptoms were observed in the group containing
    FeCr furnace and stainless steel melting shop workers as compared with the cold‐
    rolling group. As the study focused on health effects caused by chromium, and the
    workers were grouped according to Cr‐exposure, it is not possible to make any
    conclusions for the workers solely engaged in stainless steel production. In addition,
    the roles of exposures otherthan chromium remain unclear. Moreover, the cold‐rolling
    mill workers cannot be considered astrue unexposed controls."

as I expected, even after over a decade mining or working in stainless steel manufacturing furnaces any respiratory issues found were negligible, or maybe even nonexistant.