Are intelligent humans stalling the technological singularity to keep their wealth and power secure?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Messiah Decoy, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Intelligent people have the ideal situation right now. The world is their oyster and their playground.

Is it possible they have the ability to bring along the technological singularity but are preventing it to keep their status, wealth and power?

The only thing a super intelligent AI would do is undermine the merits of aristocratic power which (lets be honest) is a matter of intelligence.

Is Artificial Intelligence being avoided because the smart and rich want to stay at the top of the food chain?

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtdHhg9-i5c

I don't see what that has to do with with the current upper class preventing the advancement of artificial intelligence to keep their hold on wealth and power. 

I mean it's pretty logical. If you're the smartest people on the planet with unchallenged status and power, why would you create something smarter.

4. no, i dont believe this is the case. artificial intelligence is fundamentally limited as it currently exists, which is why the world isnt currently run by it. the upper upper class arent just holding it back for their own gain, ai just isnt that far along ... yet. 

this has EVERYTHING to do with it.

it's the VERY beginning of technological and anthropological 

suppression against the people.

6. What does "technological singularity" mean?

7. It's the moment in human history when artificial intelligence surpasses the human brain in functionality allowing A.I. to guide runaway advances in technology and science.

8. why do we need artificial intelligence?  to allow humans to be more free to pursue their dreams of sitting on couches playing virtual reality games?

Why do most people look forward to retirement?

What if people could spend their days traveling, focusing on various hobbies, enjoying various recreation/sports, hanging with family, getting a free education to study interest, etc.? Would they ever want to go back to the office cubicle?

10. I don't believe that is the case.. But I do think the upperclass would create AI to assert their dominance over the lower classes... Just look at the new military technology Being created right now... AI is getting their though just look at the technological schemes nowadays through internet robots and viruses.. Shit man i think this "singularity" you speak of is bound to happen.. Reminds me of the "eschaton" claimed by Terrence McKenna..

Dan the man

11. When human and machine become united in terms of consciousness.

That is, when computers have the power to simulate the human neural connectivity and functionality of the human brain - not an impossibility and not very far off in the future  - they may achieve a kind of consciousness. At some point along the way their "thinking" abilities could soon rival the full range of human intelligence at its best.  The next step in this inexorable evolutionary process: the union of human and machine, in which the knowledge and skills embedded in our brains will be combined with the vastly greater capacity, speed, and knowledge-sharing ability of our creations is called "the singularity"..

See Ray Kurzweil's  How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed and The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology

12. That sounds fucking awesome.

It could be the best of times - or the worst of times. One of the things being dealt with is how to initially design into the programming sets of prime directives that can NEVER be superseded by anything the machines can come up with on their own. The number one directive would be, no decision can be allowed to result in harm to humans. 

14. I'm still not 100% sure on exactly what it means, but is it kind of like that Will Smith movie "I, Robot"?

I'll have to watch it. Somehow, believe it or not, I don't remember ever watching it - which is kinda weird. Hope i haven't fucked my brain up that bad that i did see it and can't remember shit about it.

16. the singularity is when our technology reaches the point where it can advance itself faster than humans can

-yuri

17. Anyway, I hope we do eventually reach this singularity. If history has taught us anything, it's that humans are unreliable and shitty.

18. I disagree with that judgment of humans

Its an unacceptable overgeneralization

-yuri

19. It's hyperbole. I still stand by my point that reaching the singularity would be way better.

If a machine can do it, why let a human?