Are feminized seeds worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Duffed N' Slashed, Mar 20, 2014.

1. #1 Duffed N' Slashed, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    Hey guys.

I'm new to growing, waiting for the arrival of the super box I ordered so I can start. Very excited.

Everyone I know who grows, and quite a few people in numerous online forums, have recommended I buy seeds from Highgrade Seeds. Totally cool. 

Now, my question: When I buy seeds, is it a better investment to buy feminized seeds only? Feminized seeds are $150 for 10 seeds, which seems over the top.

Normal seeds, such as the strains that I am used to and love and would love to grow, like White Russian and Northern Lights, and some new ones that I'm dying to try, are $50 for 15 seeds.

Obviously, $50 for 15 sounds like the best deal, but since they aren't feminized, is it more cost effective to pay $150 for 10? 

In your experienced opinion, what do you think would the best buy? I plan on growing between four and six (likely six) plants. If I buy the $150 seeds, I will only get the ten. If it is suggested that I buy the $50 seeds and take the risk, I will get 2 (30 seeds) and mix it up. This would be the preferred.

OR, should I simply go to a different online seed bank? If so, any recommendations?

Lastly, If I go with the $50 seeds, what should I do with the male plants? As I understand it, it takes a week or two for the sex to be known. Should I just let it grow, or should I take it out and replace it with another seed, hope its a female, and give it an extra week or two until harvest?

Thank you for your input 

2. #2 Trefoil, Mar 20, 2014
    Hmmm. It's up to you, but if you want an easy grow then yes by all means do it. These feminized seeds always have a risk of being a hermaphrodite though. I'd just buy the cheaper seeds (non-fem seeds will probably be healthier) and take the risk. You can always take cuttings and you won't need to buy anymore seeds.

Also, I find it's not necessary to go for the 'brand names'... You can get seeds from schwag or mids and if you grow them right and give them a bit of TLC, the THC will come.. You can get very nice weed from some very cheap seeds if you give the plant the best chance.

3. #3 snoopdog6502, Mar 20, 2014
  4. Better make sure you sex those suckers first. Wouldn't want to grow a plant to 10ft to find out its male.

5. yup sex those bitches indoors and then acclimate and pop em under that ball of fusion full time. :-D

6. I know they are more expensive, but for the money I think the feminized seeds are totally worth it.  By the time I germinate, then veg a plant, then put it under 12/12 for flowering, then wait up to two weeks, I would be 5 to 6 weeks behind if I had to pull a male.  I also do clones, and it just doesn't make sense to grow a plant, take a clone, root it, then flower it just to see if I have a male or female.  Feminized seeds eliminate one big unknown in the grow.

7. feminized def the way to go unless you have a cloning system setup. if you do, id recommend buying a pack of some tga seeds and getting some nice mothers ^_^