Are carbon filters safe?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Kevzaz, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Are these safe? How does the activated carbon react to heat??

2. They're safe so long as you wash the carbon first and only use it with a wet piece. The AC is resistant to heat but a cashed ember might make you taste some old resin if you haven't cleaned your carbon for a while.

3. Thanks. I'm looking for one to get. Its just a piece from the bowl to the downstem right?

4. Yeah, I'd get a disc diffused from GMD if you're west coast or SSFG if you're East Coast. They're both on etsy and make them on demand pretty quick.

5. What difference does disc diffused make?

6. It's a built in screen first of all (the open ended ones need a screen, and the pierced holes are draggy), and second of all it has the best airflow.

7. Oh, I thought the pieces of carbon acted as a screen and it didnt need a screen at all..

8. The carbon needs its own screen so it doesn't fall through the downstem.

9. You must wash and dry your carbon before use, and only use on a wet piece, but you can really only find carbon filter adapters in GonG for water pipes :rolleyes:

Obviously, try not to torch the bowl a lot with the carbon right under it.

10. Didnt think of that... :smoking:
    Thanks! You seem to always help out a lot. :hello:

11. #12 tuchaka, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011

what do you mean by a 'wet piece' ?

12. Carbon dust is a simple reality of carbon granules. Even if you clean them perfectly friction will still create miniscule amounts. A wet piece (one with water filtration) will stop any dust-size particles in their tracks. Theoretically smoking a dry piece with a carbon adapter daily for 20 years might could give you black lung. Unlikely, but a possible health risk.

13. got it thanks :)

14. definitely get one of the filters with a screen in it, i have some of the roor carbon filters that don't have screens and they are a bitch to deal with.

15. Meaning the smoke travels through the carbon filter and then through water.

16. ive been using a carbon filter the last couple months about 4/5 of my smoking.. ive been changing the carbon every week or so and really think it majes my hits smoother, but im also very skeptical that its unhealthy.. i feel like ive been coughing up more stuff since i started using it.. any experts on carbon filters here wanna help us out? i dont want to cause myself more harm then just smoking regularly, thats why i invested in carbon and a filter.. thx blades

17. How many months had you been smoking before getting the filter? Could you be coughing up more because the filter allows you to smoke more comfortably without fucking your throat?

Some phlegm is gonna be a fact of life after smoking daily for a few months.

18. You must replace the carbon, wash it BEFORE the very first time you use it, then replace after about a gram smoked through it.

Dont forget to CLEAN all the pieces of glass reguarly either, bacteria/fungi CAN build up. Clean EVERYTHINg and dont wash your carbon after its been used.

BE sure to COMPLETELY DRY THE CARBON BEFORE YOU USE IT! This is important. Wet carbon doesnt work nearly as well at filtering as washed, dry carbon does.

ALWAYS wash AND dry your carbon before you use it, and keep your pieces clean!

:)

19. i just read this after a fatty first bong hit and thought u said not to cleeanur glass. i was like oh shit cuz i clean all my glass weekly. but then reread it hahaha yea i got a small pack of activated carbon at petco and washed it in my sink through a strainer.. the carbon i got is pretty big, its like half inch long cylindrical pieces.. are these better/worse than small gravel like pieces?? and even after i clean the carbon and dry it, wen i go to replace the carbon in my filter and handle the new carbo there is black soot reamaining on my fingers.. does this i mean i didnt clean the carbon enough?

at kindler.. ya im a pretty big pothead been burnin every day for like two two an ahalf years.. all in all id actually say im caughing up a lot less stuff but sometimes when i cough up a lot of phlem its like black tinted a tiny bit.. this happen to other ppl??