Are boredom and depression the same thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by skatealex2, May 25, 2008.

1. Sitting here wondering this question. Alot of people I've known seem to hit a sort of depression stage when they just sit around doing nothing. Well at least stoners have weed for when they're bored. what do you think?

2. Bored is when you want to do something to not be bored, but you can't find anything to do.

Depression is when you don't even want to do anything.

(that's not all depression is, I was just making an analogy)

3. I think that boredom definitely leads to depression, or at least a shitty mood, but they aren't the same thing. I know that I always get that depressing feeling when I'm not doing anything and don't have anything in mind for the day.

4. Is depression worrying about depression?

5. I don't think that boredom and depression are the same thing. But one inevitably leads to the other. I have clinical depression, and when I'm in a slump (no weed or ex problems) I feel bored but like I don't want to do anything. But when your bored and have a background of depression or something similar its possible that you could slip into depression. They are both a bitch regardless.

6. word. Since I've been living at home after being in a dorm for two years (last year in dorm was a year ago) life just seems a bit more annoying and I don't have to0 many good friends around here. Most of my closer friends live like an hour away from me, it sux. At least I can smoke weed alot more easier than when I lived in dorms (cause they drug tested sometimes ), I have my internet, tv, and have a car so I can hit up concerts and shit . blahhh

7. Depression is completely different boredom. Boredom is just not having anything to do while being depressed is *not wanting* to do absolutely anything. Depression is alot more serious than boredom.

8. lets see... im bored and im depressed, to me its the same thing, if hit an ultimate low as of now...feeling really down...

9. Well being bored can be linked to depression or even be the main cause if your bored over long periods of time. Other things in life though can also link so it so you have to try to address any issue on mind to clear it.

10. I remember sitting through a 2 hour long talk about boredom on a car trip when my uncle had the radio on NPR. Man there was nothing more boring than people talking about how bored they are..

I would say they are different having been through depression. I guess if everything in your life was boring to you and never changed at all you could get depressed from that, and everything seems boring and just takes too much effort to do when you are depressed. But the two are different just sort of connected sometimes.

11. you guys have no idea what depression is

12. Depression is when you pick up a hooker and it turns out she has a penis. Watch Cops, see the expression on those fuckers faces when they realize the hooker they picked up doesnt even need a strap on to fuck them in the ass. It's priceless, they're like suprised and like "fuck..." at the same time. Hahaha

actually thats comedy, not depression. Depression=emo songs haha

13. boredom leads to depression which is why america has so many clinically depressed people. People hate working their 9-5 cubicle bs jobs and living their corporately spronsored lives... and sadly, for those drones who never question their life until they are much older, it just gets that much worse...but no they arent the same thing, they build off one another.

14. I definitely think boredom has something to do with depression. Why would someone get depressed if there always doing stuff? I could see a person who sits around doing nothing get depressed alot easier than someone whos got a full schedule and always busy.I would consider boredom a pretty big part in depression.

15. You can't fathom one instance that you were busy and depressed?
    Just spent the past two months on planes and in hotels, I wasn't exactly ecstatic.

boredom is a cancer, but isn't one in the same as depression. finding your self bored? time to join a book club, a new hobby, if you have time to be bored it's your own damn fault.
    /End rant.

16. When im out doing something I never get the slightest bit depressed even if its the most boring thing to do as long as theres a reason to be doing it. In the winter it was so boring that I looked forward to snowstorms so I had a reason to go outside and shovel snow for exercise. I dono if you guys have experienced boredom at the level I have I highly doubt it.

17. To avoid boredom, simply avoid being boring.

It's not that easy with depression, unfortunately.

Lost a lover, a family member, a pet, a job, a band, or just moved somewhere you can't stand? You may be gettin' depressed. And many times weed is the worst thing you can do for depression, not in all cases, but some folks should beware.

If you're bored, go fly a kite. If you're depressed, search your soul and get some help.

But either way, growing some tasty bud helps!

18. this is the problem with america's youth (well this and rap), they describe smoking weed as "something to do" like "i'm bored, i know i'll smoke weed then i wont be bored" when in reality your still just sittin on your ass doin nothing, your just intoxicated now

19. boredom is a symptom of depression. well it isn't stated as boredom, it's said as "lost of interest in activities"

20. Depression can vary in many individuals. Even people that dont listen to "emo"
    You could listen to rap and be depressed, so I dont know why you reffered to music.
    There is a stereotype that if you are depressed you are emo. First of all, how the fuck
    is someone a genre of music? Secondly, you're outlook on what depression is is
    blattently flawed. Depression is not a highschool kid in tight jeans, listening to
    hawthorne heights in the corner of the room crying. This is obviously what you were
    reffering too. Depression is a very serious illness, many people cant even find
    something worthwhile to get out of bed for when they are seriously depressed.
    Depression does not = "emo songs". Thats a stupid common highschool stereotype.