Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

are bongs really healthy?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by bacchus, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Perceived health benefits

Bongs bubble the smoke through water, which cools it down. This helps to reduce the chance of burning to the mouth, airways, and lungs. The water can trap some heavier particles and the more water-soluble molecules, preventing them from entering the smoker's lungs.
    Most smokers believe that bongs are healthier than other smoking methods; however, a 2000 NORML-MAPS study found that "water pipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect" <sup id="_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup>. Smoke from cannabis supplied by the NIDA was drawn through a number of smoking devices and analyzed. A smoking machine, adjusted to mimic the puff length of cannabis smokers, drew smoke through a standard bong, a small portable bong with a folding stem, a bong with a motorized paddle that thoroughly mixes the smoke with the water, and two different types of vaporizers. The study found that the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers, with a ratio of about 1 part cannabinoids to 13 parts tar.<sup class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</sup>

<sup class="noprint Template-Fact"></sup>

<sup class="noprint Template-Fact"></sup>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A variety of pipes and bongs for sale. Retailers often specify their use for tobacco in an attempt to circumvent laws against selling drug paraphernalia.

found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bong

what do YOU think?

2. well since thc is merely water soluble, water pipes do an excellent job of filtering out harmful substances. so it would therefore be a less harmful and cooler smoke

3. yes but it also filters out THC requiring you to smoke more.

"The study found that the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers, with a ratio of about 1 part cannabinoids to 13 parts tar."

4. Ummmmmmm no.

I can twist up a joint of some purple kush and be pretty fucked up. But take yourself a man sized bong rip from a high quality pyrex bong.....then tell me if you still think joints outperform bongs.

5. I haven't been on a bong for a while, but I'll be finding out after dinner. Got myself a heavy glass Basil Bush bong. In shape and size it reminds me of the old Coconut bong we used to use back in the day.
    Just gotta decide whether to christen her with the SAGE or the White Shark.

6. it doesn't matter what bong you use though, if the smoke passes through water, it is guaranteed to absorb some THC. bongs might be more efficient in smoking since they dont keep burning after a hit like a joint/blunt. but if you compare how much cannabinoids are in each hit, you will find that joints have more, it might seem equal or better with a bong because you are able to take bigger hits since the smoke is cooled.

7. i guess you missed when i said merely soluble. meaning little to none is absorbed, unless you fill the bong up with oil than all the weed is going into your lungs. 2000 son get an updated version to read, before you start making dumb threads.

bongs also leave you with a cleaner high, b/c of no paper and tar

8. He's right, of course little to no THC is absorbed because it isn't a water soluble molecule.

And also, I'm not talking about scientific studies. I'm talking about experience. It sounds to me like you have never taken a manrip from a great bong. Try rolling a joint, smoking it, then try packing a bowl and taking 1-2 size manrips to cash the bowl. Tell me the difference you feel.

9. i will take my tube over a j any day. might be my tolerence but after a blunt/j i need to pack a bowl to get lit. i wish a j/blunt got me ripped, its why i havent rolled up either. my vape is another story, u get use to it though

10. your right, i dont know too much about bong use, i have taken hits from once that my friends own but my knowledge of them is dim.

11. hit a 2 footer dog aka a 24 inch tube( like a roor or toro) and pack it with a .3 or.4 snapper and youll be NICE. Trust on that, KUSH/DODI will get u blown in a tube/vape. OH and im feeling your sig too, goku looks dope looking at ski, thats how i stare in my backayrd when im having my night sessions

12. lol i am def. gonna try that 2 footer dog.

and ya lol. dbz is a classic, ama luv it no matter how old i get.

13. bongs are best for good weed, otherwise the smoke just tastes like shit and causes coughing fits (at least for me) i prefer joints and blunts for schwag and lower mids, as well as shitty beasters, but when i have upper mids on up to dank, my little bubbler cant be matched. bowls are the median. they work well with all weed. my little brass pipe wil get me high as fuck on most any weed whereas a bongload of schwag won't do shit.

14. good point

15. My friend a couple of nights ago manripped my 2 footer Angela 3 times in a row, and fell on the floor completely annihilated.

16. there may be more thc in a toke of a spliff then a toke sized inhale of a bong, but bongs are better because you can take more in at once.

17. yes in comparison with 1g of weed in a joint and 1g of weed in a bong, the joint is obviously going to be less bad for u because u get no smoke, but it would also take u like 2 joints to get as high as u would with 1/2 the ammount in a bong

18. Listen, if you think that the water in the bong filters out a signifigant amount of THC then either take the water out or don't use a bong. I really don't think that the amount of THC that is filtered is even noticable when you smoke. So its all in your head, and if you disagree, then don't put water in your bong, or don't use a bong period.

19. LOL! Try ripping a 3 1/2 ft (about 6ft without the kinks) Zong you get sooo high.Too bad my bro the bubble part (the whole bottom piece) thats the second one that he had the broke likr that he's thinking taking about both the zong pieces down to where he bought them (they blow all there own shit!) and seeing if they can fuse both of them together and just make a huge bubble to balance it out too make like a 6 ft zong anyways sorry bout the rant I'm blazed

20. THC isn't a water soluable molecule...None of that is getting absorbed by water, or if any is, it is so small it doesn't even matter...

Bongs give a smoother hit, and can be better for you vs. joints and pipes if you take it easy on the large rips.